Best 9mm to buy.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Deigoboy, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Deigoboy

Deigoboy New Member

Looking for a 9mm so the wife can shoot it. In your opinion, what's the best one to get??

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

The ones I shoot regularly are:

Glock 17, Sig 226, Glock 34, 1911 in 9mm, Beretta 92fs, Browning Hi Power & clones.

If you have access to a range that rents handguns, do so.

There are many others besides what I listed.

The search is half the fun.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

one that fits her hand and she likes.

let her pick it out.

my wife is a 9mm afficianado she loves the round and has a beretta m9, xdm 4.5, lc9, springfield 1911 range officer all in 9mm.

the berreta has the smoothest recoil the xdm fits smaller hands is good for sd the sa ro is just a stupid accurate target shooter.

4. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

What they said

Its like asking what's the best car to get...

best option...test drive. Find a range that lets you(her) try some handguns and she'll find the best fit. A lot of factors come in to play

Poly guns tend to be lighter
    Cost - A Bersa 9mm will be half or less than a SIG

Many factors...

A baby Glock is a nice choice...Like the Glock 26 --nice thing is, while it comes with 10rd mags, it will also take other larger Glock mags

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Let her handle a lot of good 9mms (Gatoragn gave some good examples, no doubt you'll get more in this thread) and she'll tell which ones she likes best. It would be smart to rent and fire the ones she initially likes then she'll tell you which one she really wants.

Be sure to include full size, compact and subcompact models. For example, the mentioned full size Glock 17, also try the compact G19 and subcompact G26. Look at the S&W M&P9, Beretta, Walther and XDs. There are so many choices.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If you can't find a 9mm to your wife's liking with all the choices available, you either don't want one or you are not looking very hard.

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Or they are too picky

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

8. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Best advice is already on here...go shoot some, let her pick it out. But some things to think about and discuss in the meantime...Would she like an external safety..? How about a de-cocker..? She probably does not know what a "good trigger" feels like, so have her shoot striker fired, and hammer fired pistols..there is a difference...Is she left handed (an ambi mag release would be nice). The guys at my LGS say the ladies are just loving the Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm for its features, ergonomics, and low recoil..give that one a try too. Make this about her, be patient, sometimes it takes us a while to make a decision....lol. You will have a shootin buddy for life......:)

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Depends on her hand size. Grip is everything.

I'd think a 1911 far too wide for a typical female hand, they're tiny things in my experience, unless you've got an amazon.

An XDs in 9mm would probably be very good and it has a very nice trigger. Kahr 9mm, any.

I'd stay away from those disgusting poly pockets with horrific triggers, like Ruger LC9, KelTec PF9, etc, etc. The Kahr, XD and Glock are the only acceptable trigger on a poly gun afaic.

The Sig P938 is nice, not your typical oversized 1911. More like a midget 1911.

I personally do not, at all, like the ergonomics of 1911s. I've got long hands, but with standard grips and those horrific grip safeties they're just too wide and awkward to shoot comfortably or accurately, for me.

10. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

why don't you let the wife figure it out for herself?

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

http://whichgun.com/pistols/sort_by:ccw_factor/sort_direction:desc/limit:50

Sig P290
    M&P Shield
    Walther PPS
    Taurus 709 Slim
    Bersa BP9CC

Stick with something 1 inch wide or less, don't go to 1.1 and especially 1.2 or more. Most 1911 types are 1.1-1.4, depending on grip covers.

Be mindful of trigger reach. It can be very deceptive by look. Only in the hand can tell you what will work.

12. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

As mentioned above...grips, grips and grips again....recoil too so if she is not concealing the weapon, a larger framed model would be better than a compact/subcompact. If she can not shoot a variety of guns, let her handle the guns and select the one she wants...men can offer knowledge of features and benefits, but not make the decision for her...it must be hers and you must be supportive even if your taste in weaponry is different. My wife's gun is a Berretta Custom Carry SS version...a Beretta with a single stack magazine with a small grip circumference that she likes.

13. DrFootball

Width only matters if your purchasing it for Concealed carry, then you want a narrow framed gun. The thicker and HEAVIER the gun the more recoil it soaks up,..
    Edit: the list that BTB posted are all CC/EDC guns...

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I've never found recoil to mean a thing regardless the caliber or size of gun and even if it were its something that can be trained through. A poorly fitting gun is not and shouldn't be, afaic. But all good things to think about I'm sure.

15. bradam

bradam Member

Or she really wants a .380:)

16. DrFootball

Could be someone Else's wife, not mine !! She likes Big Wheel guns...

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

There's a plethora of fine options out there. Most $300+ pistols are pretty excellent if they suit you. It's all about the specific application, budget, and personal preferences. Me telling you what I like won't actually help in finding the right fit for you or your wife.

I would trust almost any 9mm from Springfield, S&W, Glock, Ruger, CZ, Browning, FN, Beretta, Walther, H&K, and Sig...most of their stuff is going to perform great provided it fits the shooter. I've shot most models from these companies and can't lodge too many complaints beyond personal preferences. There are plenty of others (including some clones of the above guns), but I'd recommend staying mainstream with a company you can bank on.

18. DrFootball

As someone stated Prior, she should be doing the Selecting for her choice. For my Wife, I may know what she THINKS she likes, so Handguns she picks herself. For two years she told me She "Hated anything that did not have a cylinder" on it. She shoots my SR9 ONE TIME, and now she thinks she should have Lessons from Jesse Duff or Julie Golub!!

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Full-size will be a much smoother shooting gun.

IMO, if she likes larger grips, the 92FS or

92A1. If she prefers smaller grips, the NATO

Browning by FN.

And while we are on the subject of grips,

try Hogues. She'll thank you later.

20. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Size does matter, just ask your wife.;)