Best 9mm on the market?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 40calcliffy, Jul 18, 2011.

1. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

I'm considering buying a 9mm as my first gun for range use. Can you help me decide which is the best one to buy.

2. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

What will be your main uses for it?... CCW?... Range?... Plinking?... Home defense?... Car gun?... etc.

3. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

Range first,ccw second.

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I recommend you go to some local gun shops and look at the various 9mm's they have and see which one feels best to you.

Here are some of my recommendations
    Glock 19
    Glock 26
    Kahr PM9
    Ruger SR9c
    XDm 3.8 9mm
    Ruger LC9
    Browning Hi Power
    CZ 75 or variants

You also might want to consider a revolver in .38 Special or .357 Magnum.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

If i was going to buy a 9mm pistol i would go for the cz75 its the only one ive ever enjoyed firing in 9mm other than the old early 90s production taurus pt99.

6. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

Going strictly semi-auto. Revolvers are ok but they never fit my hand quite right.

7. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

I'll say look at CZ's... Browning Hi-Power... H&K... Ruger SR9... Kahrs if you want to go single-stack... A lot depends on how much you're going to carry it: I'm a big fan of light weight for carry... So... for a multi-use gun, think light! (There are polymer CZ choices, for instance...)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My favorite, the Browning Hi-Power.

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I carry either the Ruger SR9c or the Glock 26 as my main carry firearm, and I also carry a Kahr PM9 in my pocket.

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

S&W M&P9c for ccw. CZ75's are too heavy, but great for the range.

11. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Repost of what I put on another thread:

Now, you know I'm full of it once I start quoting myself! :p

12. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Since we are covering a first gun for both range and carry, I would recommend an affordable, durable pistol that tries to strike a balance between shootability and portability. The Glock 19 and Smith & Wesson M&P 9c would be my first two choices.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Best 9mm on the market doesn't necessarily translate to best CCW gun. If you truly want the BEST, then you'll sacrifice in terms of CCW. Many say the best 9mm is the Sig 210. Better make sure you have plenty of cash. Probably the next would be the Browning Hi Power. But neither are a gun I would enjoy carrying though.

14. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Try sig 226 or 229, Glock 19 or 17, or xd. Each has a lifetime warranty, accurate, reliable, tested in various conditions, and they are reputable names.

15. chaser2020

chaser2020 New Member

Smith and Wesson is not reputable?

16. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

There is no "best." - Just what's best for YOU.

Hell, you don't even wanna know how many guns I've gone thru since 1993... My favorite ones 10 years ago are different than my fav for 5 years ago. And, my fav today are not the same from 5 years ago.

Over time, you find what you like and idslike often changes. But, my suggestion would be to first, figure out how much you want to spend, and also what purpose you want it for (home defense, concealed carry, pocket concealed carry).

Then, go find a place in your area that rents guns, and try several to see which you like.

17. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Hmmmm I'd say,

HK
    Sig
    HP
    CZ

18. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Glock. Glock. Glock. Did i say glock? Oh yeah, glock.

19. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

For range use, I urge you to check CZ 75 SP01 (all steel) before buying. I heard a lot of good things about Browning Hi Power but never had the chance to shoot one yet (and they are a bit more expensive). Sig 210 is from the same design (as far as I know) but they are worth 4x or so than BHP or CZ.

A cheap (used) alternative that I love is S&W 5906. For $300.00 at CDNN, it is a steal.

As mentioned, use the recommendations here to narrow your list then see which one works for you best. Good luck!!!

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For a range gun:
    Browning Hi-Power, CZ 75 variants, Sig P226/229 are my favorites...in that order.
    Honorable mention: Beretta 92, S&W 5906, polymers of your choice

Range AND Carry:
    BHP, Sig P239, and Sig P228/229 would be my top choices.
    I'd also look at compact CZs, S&W 5906, and almost any compact polymer that doesn't have a picture of a bull on it.

I like really BHPs and CZs, but if carry is a serious factor the Sig P239 SAS w/srt is tough to beat. It's spendy though ($750-800). Poly compacts (like the Glock 19) excel as versatile and relatively affordable options.