best 9mm ammo for SD

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rem870forever, Aug 21, 2013.

1. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

I have heard of rbcd ammo but I heard its illegal for defense. Any other ammo

2. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Depends on where you live. Some places have restrictions on certain types of ammo.

I think just having JHP (Jacket hollow points) is good enough. You can pay top dollar but you'll probably only get marginal improvement.

That said, because I'm a hypocrite, I use Federal Hydra-Shoks. However, I think you'll have many Golden Speer fans here and it is actually recommended by the local range owner as well.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

"Best" is subjective.

I currently use Hornady Critical Duty for my 9mm. But I don't know if its the best. Just what i was able to find a few months ago.

4. Nebraska12

Nebraska12 New Member

My preference for EDC in 9mm - 124gr Speer Gold Dots.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

My m9 is loaded with hornady critical defense. Shoots poa cycles well that's all I care about.

6. lucznik

lucznik New Member

For now, you may have to just shoot whatever you can get your hands on.

When supply is back to "normal," you should buy a box of as many different options as your wallet can stand and then find out which your gun shoots most accurately. Then start stockpiling that winning round.

7. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Second that !!! It's the only defense round in all my daily carries.

8. USVI

USVI New Member

+3 They are the same rounds I have in my HK P2000 for the reasons stated above. The low flash and minimal recoil are a bonus.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree that "best" is subjective in regards to ammo.

i would look for what works reliablily each and every time the trigger is pulled. the best penetration, the fastest, the most accurate, or the largest expanding ammo is pretty much a moot point if it doesn't feed well or jams in your pistol.

i use either the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. JHP, or the Hornady 124 gr. XTP ammo in my 9mm pistol. both work quite well with no problems.

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

11. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I just use plain old Remington JHP. Shoots good in the SR9 so that's what i stuck with.

12. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Hornandy critical duty 135gr JHP

Black Hills +p 115gr JHP

Glaser Pow'RBall +p 100gr polymer ball capped JHP

13. mdauben

mdauben New Member

As others have said, "best" is a very fuzzy term in regards to SD ammo. The most important things are that it feeds reliably in your gun(s) and that it is acceptably accurate. After that any modern JHP will probably perform well.

That said, my personal preferences are either Speer Gold Dots or Federal HST in 124gr +P loadings. They work well in both my 9mm pistols, demonstrate good performance in both street reports and gel testing, and are available (usually) in economical 50 round "LE" packaging.

14. Nebraska12

Nebraska12 New Member

I've been wondering about the Black Hills +p 9mm rounds. How do they perform?

15. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I've been hearing great things about federal hst saw a video by tnoutdoors9 doing 45 acp that stuff was a monster

16. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I know we put alot of stock and faith in the FBI 12 inch standard but the RBCD rounds do what they were designed to do not what the FBI wants them to.

17. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Where are these rounds illegal and why are they illegal?

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'm just not seeing how these rounds are better than anything else on the market.

19. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I can't say what's the best for SD, but the NYPD uses the Speer Gold Dots and they've tested lots of ammo before deciding what 35,000 members are issued. They do have certain concerns regarding what to use that may not interest those outside of the PD.

But for me I've been carrying Federal Hydra-Shok JHP for years in .32, 9mm and .40S&W. When I use up my old ammo that I've carried for a couple of years I generally shoot at plastic bottles, cans, cast iron skillets and anything else I can get my hands on. I'm no expert where ammo is concerned, but that ammo sure causes a whole lot of damage to whatever I hit with it. I suppose it's as good as anything else available from off a gun shop's shelf.

20. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

What about the USM4 lead free rounds? These weigh about as much as a few sheets of paper, really interesting. :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9G0Je8z9J0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSN-l8zMiK8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hZMZM1l04[/ame]