Best 9mm ammo for an Apartment?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by GlockRenegade, Aug 27, 2012.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

For those of us that live in an apartment, what 9mm ammo would you suggest I use? Right now I have mags loaded with Hornady 115gr HPs and WC PDX 124gr JHPs. Thoughts plz

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Honestly, if its not an all brick wall building you're gonna need safety rounds. I bought a .25 acp specifically because the 9mm has a major over penetration problem in an apartment building.

3. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Like mountainman said you should look for rounds designed for apartment defense. Even a jhp will go all the through a robber if you're only 10 feet away.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  4. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

Glaser Safety Slug, either blue or silver tip. Won't penetrate sheet rock, but is devastating up close anyway. Basically lead shot encased in a copper jacket. UGLY wounds, but only splashes instead of ricochets or penetration on anything but flesh.

5. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Another vote for Glasers.

They are lethal on almost any hit because the tissue is shredded, the wound channel is broad, and all those little pellets dump 100% of the energy into the impacted tissue. The system shock is devastating.

At the same time, hitting any other surface, even glass, breaks open the capsule and the fine lead shot scatters. Someone on the other side of the wall or window might be peppered, but the small pellets don't have the energy to penetrate and / or do much damage.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

About anything you shoot if you miss will go thru sheet rock , glaser saftey slug included.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  7. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Hmmmm ok so dont miss...

Thanks though, I will look for some at Academy and LGS

8. scottmac

scottmac New Member

The difference is that the Glaser disintegrates on exit and is no longer a lethal threat.

9. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Does it come in .45?

10. scottmac

scottmac New Member

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

12. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Glaser, as mentioned.

13. cj84

cj84 New Member

The one you put between the bgs eyes

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Scottmac there are some videos showing the glaser balling up like round ball and zipping on threw. Now I know this is a 40 cal but find and watch how they don't blow up.- [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TioEMEKzLn0[/ame]

Box o' thruth also did some test on just sheet rock with the 9mm and it wents thru 6 sheets of sheet rock.

Heres a a page that some can review and research some more.- http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Exotic_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

15. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

I like.... However right in his breastplate might be a safer shot

16. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Cool video, thanks for putting that up.

I believe the problem (if you choose to view it as such) with their testing methodology is that they put the gel within inches of the wall. The dispersal of the lead shot happens at the exit, or after a ricochet (capsule compresses on entry, "explodes" apart on exit. But, like a shotgun, it takes some time for the shot to disperse; more than a couple inches I'd presume.

I think it would be really cool to see tests like those with an ultra high-speed camera, with the gel placed at a couple inches, out to a yard or so, in 4-6" increments.

IMO, it would take something on the order of planetary alignment to have a defense shot gone wild, or an accidental discharge, whack someone who happens to be standing within inches of a wall at the point of exit.

By the way, the "ball" they remove is the component making up the snoot of the bullet for more reliable feeding.

All-in-all, I think I'd rather still use Glasers than a good defense hollow-point for in the home (I'm in a townhouse, one neighbor, multiple layers of 3/4 sheet rock and dense insulation - firewall). Hornady makes a point to exhibit the FBI penetration testing where the slug is still intact and lethal (as defined by the FBI) after perforating drywall, glass, wood, etc.

For a walking around mag or speed-loader load, I use a couple Glasers on the top of the stack (penetration not needed for an "immediate threat") and, depending on the firearm, followed by Hornady, Silvertips, HydraShock, or COR-BON.

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

At more than $2 per round :eek::eek::eek: I just can't support Glasers. I still think that HP's would do the trick.

18. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I think $2 bucks a round is cheap when you look at being charged criminaly or civilly. There is also a company called magsafe and that's what I have loaded in my pistol at home and its also a hollow point.

ForumRunner_20120830_092124.jpg

ForumRunner_20120830_092230.jpg

I believe they are +P also.

19. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Well the good thing is im getting a mossy 500 in 2 weeks, then i wont have to worry about 9mm for home def :)