Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I having a Ruger LCP that I will primarily be carrying throughout the summer. I usually carry Federal Hydra-Shok in my other carry guns and that is what I planned on getting for my LCP. Because it is only a .380 I want the best possible round and I was wondering if anyone uses other brands or knows of better choices in this caliber.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I having a Ruger LCP that I will primarily be carrying throughout the summer. I usually carry Federal Hydra-Shok in my other carry guns and that is what I planned on getting for my LCP. Because it is only a .380 I want the best possible round and I was wondering if anyone uses other brands or knows of better choices in this caliber.
This would be my choice:
Hornady

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
That is what my wife carrys in her kel tek 380 . It is awesome.
It is good ammo. Just understand that your Kel Tec P3AT can't withstand too much shooting of this stuff. The pistol will blow up eventually. I just hope it isn't in your time of need. My wife also carries the P3AT however I keep it loaded with ball ammo. That way I know for sure it will feed & fire everytime.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
With the nation-wide shortage of .380 ammo, be happy with what you can find!

·
Banned
6,261 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Speer Gold Dot HP's. They feed like ball ammo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Makarov 380

I'm looking for 380 for my Mak; it's a shame that so many guys/gals have bought up all they can and trying to make a killing on reselling it. If anyone has any to spare I'm open to buying it! Really just want some to range shoot with.....Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
I'm looking for 380 for my Mak;
Good Luck... I sold my Makarov because .380 ammo is getting to scarce.

Go figure... .380 has always been considered as the bottom-end for SD. And now people are trying to snatch it up!

·
Banned
6,261 Posts
Winchester has some new pdx1 bonded ammo. I'm not sure they have the smaller ammo yet, but the 9mm performs very nicely. Hornady's new critical defense looks like it's going to be hot too, they do have it in .380.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can't argue with Hornady , or Federal . I personally have a Glock 19 and use Elderado Starfires in it I have a fairly newly aquired H&K P30 40sw and use the Z-Max in it for carry . I know neither of these pistols are .380 , but I do believe both of my brands come in .380

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Winchester has some new pdx1 bonded ammo. I'm not sure they have the smaller ammo yet, but the 9mm performs very nicely. Hornady's new critical defense looks like it's going to be hot too, they do have it in .380.

They do make it in .380 & I've seen water jug tests, denim on the front jug, that showed expansion & penetration to be good. I got mine at Walmarts. The only others that did well in tests, that I've seen, are Corbon DPX & Buffalo Bore DPX, both with the Barnes All Copper bullet.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
For summer ... Hornardy Critical Defense
For winter ... PMC (FMJ) for penetration as HP ammo tends to snag on winter clothing threads.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Remington Golden Saber in my SIG P232. It is reliable and very accurate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts