Best .380 Personal Protection ammo

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by greenr19, Apr 1, 2009.

1. greenr19

greenr19 New Member

I having a Ruger LCP that I will primarily be carrying throughout the summer. I usually carry Federal Hydra-Shok in my other carry guns and that is what I planned on getting for my LCP. Because it is only a .380 I want the best possible round and I was wondering if anyone uses other brands or knows of better choices in this caliber.

2. supergus

supergus New Member

This would be my choice:
    Hornady

3. 1861

1861 New Member

That is what my wife carrys in her kel tek 380 . It is awesome.

4. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

It is good ammo. Just understand that your Kel Tec P3AT can't withstand too much shooting of this stuff. The pistol will blow up eventually. I just hope it isn't in your time of need. My wife also carries the P3AT however I keep it loaded with ball ammo. That way I know for sure it will feed & fire everytime.

5. bobkreeger

bobkreeger New Member

bobkreeger

Buffalo Bore 90 gr HP. Very potent.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The new Hornady critical defense is what MY LCP is loaded with.

7. guntotinguy

guntotinguy New Member

Federal Hydra-Shok is what I have loaded in my Bersa 380...its my BUG.

8. Mark F

With the nation-wide shortage of .380 ammo, be happy with what you can find!

9. Mark F

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Speer Gold Dot HP's. They feed like ball ammo.

11. simpsoj

simpsoj New Member

Makarov 380

I'm looking for 380 for my Mak; it's a shame that so many guys/gals have bought up all they can and trying to make a killing on reselling it. If anyone has any to spare I'm open to buying it! Really just want some to range shoot with.....Thanks!!

12. Mark F

Good Luck... I sold my Makarov because .380 ammo is getting to scarce.

Go figure... .380 has always been considered as the bottom-end for SD. And now people are trying to snatch it up!

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Winchester has some new pdx1 bonded ammo. I'm not sure they have the smaller ammo yet, but the 9mm performs very nicely. Hornady's new critical defense looks like it's going to be hot too, they do have it in .380.

14. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Just got a LCP yesterday, and this came up in my search for ammo. I bet back in 2009 the link didn't take you to the new Zombie Max ammo... he he he...:p

15. vampirespwn

vampirespwn New Member

You can't argue with Hornady , or Federal . I personally have a Glock 19 and use Elderado Starfires in it I have a fairly newly aquired H&K P30 40sw and use the Z-Max in it for carry . I know neither of these pistols are .380 , but I do believe both of my brands come in .380

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

They do make it in .380 & I've seen water jug tests, denim on the front jug, that showed expansion & penetration to be good. I got mine at Walmarts. The only others that did well in tests, that I've seen, are Corbon DPX & Buffalo Bore DPX, both with the Barnes All Copper bullet.

17. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

For summer ... Hornardy Critical Defense
    For winter ... PMC (FMJ) for penetration as HP ammo tends to snag on winter clothing threads.

18. sdcromer

sdcromer New Member

Winchester PDX1 in my LCP :)

19. Patch Delta

Patch Delta New Member

I use Remington Golden Saber in my SIG P232. It is reliable and very accurate.