Firearms Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently,Firearmstalk had a great article about .38 Snubs.

I'd like to hear what you guys might consider the best load for these guns?

Some people like standard wadcutters,some people like the "Chicago load" represented by a 158gr soft lead semi wadcutter hollow point,and some like the relatively new "New York load" which is the 135gr Speer Gold Dot JHP,made expressly for snub nose revolvers.

Theres a bunch more,like the "treasury load",which I think is a 110gr JHP,and theres other new stuff like the Barnes all-copper JHP.

What do you ya'll like?

·
Premium Member
14,210 Posts
For legal reasons, it is best to run with factory loads for self defense. I like the Hornady Critical Defense.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Do you have and legal rulings indicating supporting that statement?
I have heard a bunch of people give that advice. But I have never heard of a single case. I carry handloads all the time. If I am forced to shoot someone someday I believe that what load I chose to use will be the least of my problems.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
There have been law suits already where the person had used reloads for self defince and the lawyers tryed to base the suit on the reloads being cruel because they were so much more powerful them factory loads. I know of only one that was a judgement against the defendant for this reason, and that was in Ca. the others I have read about lost the case.

I personaly use reloads in my .38 and will do so regardless of what a fat assed lawyer thinks.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I like the Gold Dot short barrel load. Shoots well out of my S&W.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
There have been law suits already where the person had used reloads for self defince and the lawyers tryed to base the suit on the reloads being cruel because they were so much more powerful them factory loads. I know of only one that was a judgement against the defendant for this reason, and that was in Ca. the others I have read about lost the case.

I personaly use reloads in my .38 and will do so regardless of what a fat assed lawyer thinks.
do you have a link to the case in CA?

·
Premium Member
22,657 Posts
The old "Metro" load, or "FBI" load worked well for 50 years. It still works for thousands of experienced detectives today.

158 GR lead SWCHP +P
\
There are newer loads out there, but I'm not convinced there's a better one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I personally like the following ammo for my Ruger LCR:
1) Buffalo Bore .38 spl 150 gr. Hard Cast Wadcutter
2) Carbon DPX .38 +P 110 gr.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The lighter bullets seem to be best in snubbies.
My S&W 340PD has "No less than 125gr bullet" engraved on the ejector housing. I use 135gr Gold Dot Short Barrel in it. 38 or 357 ammo.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I like hornady critical defense of course but I prefer Gold Dot 158gr HP +p's.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Back before I dumped all 'little' pistol rounds, I favored loading inverted hollow based wad cutters. Soft lead and that big gaping hole. Two inch (1 7/8 inch) barrels with a trench and blade for sights. Up close work only for me. Carried a little S&W 60 for years in an ankle hostler.

Now I feel the venom coming.

The question was asked and I answered.

·
Premium Member
22,657 Posts
Back before I dumped all 'little' pistol rounds, I favored loading inverted hollow based wad cutters. Soft lead and that big gaping hole. Two inch (1 7/8 inch) barrels with a trench and blade for sights. Up close work only for me. Carried a little S&W 60 for years in an ankle hostler.

Now I feel the venom coming.

The question was asked and I answered.
That's a damn good load, and it's saved a lot of lives, regardless of what Marty Fackler says.:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts