Firearms Talk banner
101 - 120 of 155 Posts
I want to retract my statement on the wish list about the AK. The more I think about it the more I like the

Garand
M14
Scar

About the dependability of the AK, that's all well and good but if you can't hit your tango than its all for not. I take better care of my weapons than I do myself most of the time so I don't have to worry about that aspect of the weapons. So my biggest thing now comes down to accuracy. Hence the results of my revised list.

So the only question I have is, what do all you AR-AK-Socom-M14 guys

do in the event you shoot yourself dry, with the enemy at close range?

I prefer a stout, bashing, crashing, stabbing multi-purpose weapon.

But that's just me...:eek:

Don't get me wrong, I have a SKS, AK,Garand, etc, and they're fine

shooters...
That is easy, out of ammo, out the door.

When I decide to buy something, I either buy RIGHT NOW the cheapest that'll get the job done...OR...decide to save and buy the best.

I don't want fair grade. I want the best quality shooter I can find. I don't need collector's grade, though. That's why $1100 is my target...even at CMP.

Unfortunately, in my area, the only clubs that are CMP-affiliated cost too much to make it worth my while just for the Garand. I'll need to go into the general market.
In my opinion, the cheapest way to get a viable battle rifle that does not break the bank to feed is an AK.

CHLChris said:
I'm not thinking 7.62x39mm!!!!

I'm thinking .308/7.62x51mm, .30-'06, 7.62x54R.

Platform is all-important. I'm thinking lowest cost, plus firepower, plus reliability, plus distance, plus availability of ammo.

Some thoughts, but looking for your ideas:

M1Garand
M14
Mosin Nagant
AR-10

I have a mosin, and I LOVE it. For the age it is it is an awesome shooter. I have iron sights on it now but I'm contemplating putting a scope on it. Its easy to clean and easy to shoot. It shoots tight groups and the bolt operates smooth as a baby's behind. BUT the only problem is, at least in my area, ammo is hard to come by. The 7.62x54r is not a common caliber in my area for some reason. I don't know how it is in yours but if its abundant I would seriously consider it. Also you have to take into account of what your using it for. If your planning on a home defense gun, the mosin is probably not a good choice. I don't have the exact length but its def a looong barrel. Not good for checking corners and tight hallways. In that case I would probably go with an AK or AR platform that will have the shorter barrel and shorter stock and also have the space to put things like flashlights and laser sights. With the mosin, what you see is what you get.

Order your ammo in spam cans over the net.

80$ will get you 440 rounds...

I have to agree the M44 still steps up

as a multi-purpose weapon for severe duty.

Have you considered a reflex scope?

Small, easy to mount, and fast to sight on target...

Tis true enuff the AK isnt a "tack-driver" in the league of combat rifles. It was never meant to be, tho the Klash system in other rifles and with more powerful round do make good designated marksman or ad hoc "sniper" rifles. Out to 300 meters at least the Yugo AK (mine) easily shoot "minute of Mass". Off topic, but the SKS with a decent bore and stock will do even better. This has been my experience, YMMV. I had the opportunity to operate a Yugo with a Zastava-issued scope with the lines and cross-hairs set up for the rifle and the round. It was sweet, as sweet as my AR with an older Vietnam era scope. There is a difference in the rounds, no doubt and I look forward to gettin my hands on a nice 74- Bulgie or Roma... as seeing how thay compare. I hear the 5.45 kicks butt.
Yup I love the M1A, the King of the range and the FAL... but the future is with the smaller rounds! If left with the m-38 or 91/30 Nagant one would make do. For a rough environment they would work well enuff as a survival rifle, the Finns showed the world the way to make the Mosin-Nagant work! A few stuck away with a few tuna-cans and some cleaning supplies would do a group of "campers" well in a pinchie situation. Note that I leave out the
m-44. Ive fired Chi-coms and was impressed- with a nagasaki-like fireball and blast area. Also there is the problem of that bayonet and figuring POA changes with the bayo folded or open.

Note that I leave out the
m-44. Ive fired Chi-coms and was impressed- with a nagasaki-like fireball and blast area. Also there is the problem of that bayonet and figuring POA changes with the bayo folded or open.
They merely left out the instructions for the M44:

1)Stab target with bayonet,

2)With bayonet in target,pull the trigger.

M44 accuracy problem solved...

I think some things to think about are:
Rifle weight
Ammo weight
Dependability in the harshest conditions
Ease to work on and repair
Ease to produce
And of course accuracy

I would have to say some rifles will be battle spacific.

I had a Mosin that shot real well and it was pretty accurate for such a simple rifle. I had one big problem with it. I bought a big can of the surplus ammo. It was the stuff with the lacquer-coated case. After about 5-6 rounds the barrel would get warm and the coating on the cases would soften up and the brass would start sticking in the chamber. I had to pop the brass out with the cleaning rod after each shot. This would absolutely not be acceptable under battle conditions. Of course there is always the option of loading for this round or spending more money for better ammo.

you mean like this?
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/M212.jpg

M14 (M1A) caliber .308 (7.62mm x 51) full or semi-auto magazine fed rifle. This rifle was standard issue for the Viet Nam war soldiers. Mine was built by me as a semi-auto only Civilian M1A version with a Sako light weight national match barrel and a Springfield Armory receiver. It was glass bedded into a military walnut stock by a NCNG Match armorer. I used it in many civilian National Matches. Later, I topped it with an original Leatherwood ART II scope and added an original M2 bipod to use it in the NCNG Sniper competitions as a M21 SWS (Sniper Weapon System). It shot well (1 minute angle), but did not Hold its zero when the scope was taken off and re-attached ( mandatory for sniper matches). I have the GI AN/PVS-2 Night Vision Scope that was used on this rifle during the Viet Nam Era. I also have the USGI M6 bayonet and M10 scabbard

After reading these posts I am getting excited about shooting my M1A. I think I'll get it out and shoot this weekend. I still have some of the good Australian and Portugese surplus ammo. It shoots real well.

I had a Mosin that shot real well and it was pretty accurate for such a simple rifle. I had one big problem with it. I bought a big can of the surplus ammo. It was the stuff with the lacquer-coated case. After about 5-6 rounds the barrel would get warm and the coating on the cases would soften up and the brass would start sticking in the chamber. I had to pop the brass out with the cleaning rod after each shot. This would absolutely not be acceptable under battle conditions. Of course there is always the option of loading for this round or spending more money for better ammo.
Check the extractor on your bolt, and be sure the chamber is clean and free

of all obstacles...

Ive heard of this sticking problem with the Moisins and saw it once in person... had to pound the bolt open. Totally unacceptable. I guess it's a more wide-spread issue than I thought. Who would issue crap like this to the troops??? Pretty shoddy in the original sense of the term. Ive never fired the MN enuff to have the problem myself. Good thing I made mine Mauser!

Ive heard of this sticking problem with the Moisins and saw it once in person... had to pound the bolt open. Totally unacceptable. I guess it's a more wide-spread issue than I thought. Who would issue crap like this to the troops??? Pretty shoddy in the original sense of the term. Ive never fired the MN enuff to have the problem myself. Good thing I made mine Mauser!
Bear in mind these relics are all 65+ years old by now.

Even if some of them were jamming new, it didn't stop the Russians

with the "jamming Mosins" from sending all the Mauser using Germans

either back to Berlin or on a dirt nap.

therewolf, that is the first thing I tried. I cleaned the rifle meticulously before I fired it the first time. The bore was spotless when I put the first cartridge in it. The same exact thing happened with my friend's Mosin at the same time. We bought them together. I even felt the brass after we fired the cartridge and the coating felt soft and kind of sticky. The Mosin was fun to shoot but I wouldn't have chosen it for protecting my life if I had other options available. My Win 94 would have shot circles around it easily. The Russians sure made good use of these rifles and ammo. Their snipers and regular grunts picked off a lot of Germans for sure.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.