Best 30-30 round?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Billdogge, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

What's the best 30-30 round? Anyone have any pics of deer takewith the old 30-30?

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Seems like Hornady recently came out with a Lever Revolution round for 30-30
    looks like a nosler-type expanding bullet

3. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

4. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco New Member

Winchester Powermax is the hardest hitting round for deer sized game. I've massacred many deer and hogs with them. Leverevolution is better suited for Elk. They work well on deer but the hit ain't as good as P-Max.

5. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I dont know how to post pictures but have shot a few mule deer and one elk with a 30-30. I dont have enough experence shooting deer or elk with a 30-30, however I have shot alot of elk and deer so have some knowledge of what bullet it takes. For elk I would use nothing except the Federal 170 grain Nosler Partitions.

6. eaglesnester

eaglesnester New Member

Best 30/30 Round

Any cup and core 150/170gr 30/30 blunt nose round is a good round for the 30/30. The rifle was the first one to use smokless powder and has been around for over 100 years. Will kill game out to 150 yards if you do your part.
    You do not need a fancy premium bullet in the thurty thruty, for the most part you would be wasting your money. The start out MV is only around 2100fps anyway. Try some regular old Winchester commercial 30/30 of 150gr you will be good to go for sure for them little deer down in the lower 48.

7. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

.170gr flat nose

Has been the best for me since 1980 when I bagged my first 6 point muley on
    opening day october 10th of that year and was my first kill! The past two
    seasons though I passed on purchasing a deer tag as I had too much deer
    meat in the freezer & I have been feeding/making my own dog food with the
    tougher/freezer burnt cuts for our familys beagles! (Boy, do they love wild
    meat)! It,s a likely bet that Pop & I have the most spoiled beagles in our area!
    My last one lived nearly 16.5 years & was a strong chewer as he "outlived"
    his teeth because they were "worn down to the gumline" before he died!:D

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Better tell the French, and Germans! .30-30 1895, 1888 Commision followed the French Lebel(1886). "The invention of smokeless powder in the late 19th century immediately rendered all of the large-bore black powder rifles then in use obsolete. To keep pace with the French (who had adopted smokeless powder "small bore" ammunition for their Lebel Model 1886 rifle) the Germans adopted the Gewehr 88 using its own new 7.92x57mm"

Not quite the 1st! What rifle?