Best .22LR choice

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Squawk, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I took my 13 year old cousin shooting this summer, and ever since then, he has begged his parents for a gun.

I'm looking for a .22 pistol for under $300. Reliability is most important. Looks being 2nd most important. It needs to look like a full size gun. Not like a buckmark or 22/45.
    Accuracy is last. Doesn't need to be super accurate.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Trying to figure out what I can tell my uncle to buy.

I was looking at the Sig Mosquito line. And the M&P 22. The Service Pistol look is what he wants.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Colt Umarex Gold Cup or a Sig/ATI GSG 1911 .22LR to start the young man off on the search for the Holy Grail, the perfect 1911.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't know how to tell someone to buy less than the best pistol. You are ruling out two of the best 22 LR pistols on the market. The 22/45 is designed to emulate a 1911. I don't know of a semi auto pistol that is more full size than a 1911. Good luck with your search!

4. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Basically it's more important to him that the gun look cool (1911, Glock, XD, M&P, Sig, etc.) than how accurate it is.

Also important that it disassembles and cleans like a normal pistol.

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Chiappa also makes a 1911-22, and an M-9-22.. Both very affordable..

6. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Can you speak to the reliability of the Chiappa pistols? Reliability is main concern.

7. DrFootball

Not the 1911 copy. I have the M-9. 2,000 + thru mine. Only time it FTE's is with crappy ammo( thunderbolts). Keep it clean and it's great..you can even get a Blemished one for $200 bucks. Factory new they are $279-$289....

8. xring3

xring3 Member

Well, I rather like the Ruger MKII but that probably would not be cool enough...unless you like the feel of a P08 Luger

9. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

The Bersa Thunder 22 is a very reliable and accurate 22 semiauto for under $300. It also looks a lot like the gun James Bond uses. Kinda adds to the cool factor.

10. DrFootball

"James Bond" carried a Walther PPK, except in Dr. No( the first movie-1962) where he still carried the Beretta 25ACP. More recently Commander Bond carried the Walther P99 in the last several movies before Daniel Craig took over the Role...
    The Bersa is a slightly longer slide and barrel....

11. WNGMSTR

WNGMSTR Troll Scout

Sig Sauer Mosquito.

12. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I think we can agree that it looks a lot like a PPK.

13. DrFootball

Slightly, yes...but a close examination shows what's different between the two...

14. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I wouldn't give that POS to anyone.

We ended up getting him a SR-22.

15. DrFootball

Really? Sorry I can't agree based on many folks here who have had issues. Buy a blemished Chiappa copy of the M9 or the 1911 for well under $300.

16. WNGMSTR

WNGMSTR Troll Scout

One mans POS another's stalwart.

17. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Thanks, You are 100% correct. I know that but wasn't trying to get too detailed and wordy in my reply. While the BT22 is in the OP's price range, the Walther PPK is not.

18. DrFootball

You first have to FIND one!! They don't make them in 22LR or 32ACP any more, or if they do, it's few and far between.
    Yes they Do look somewhat like a PP/PPK,....if you can find one in 22LR grab it! 10 rds., and it will (I'm told) eat any ammo...

19. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Oh! You can find the BT22 and they are still being made. The BT32 is no longer being imported in the US.

So, if you are looking for a BT22 at a great price, check this out:
    http://grabagun.com/bersa-thunder-22-22lr-10rd-matte.html

and be sure to check out the flat rate shippping on firearms, $5.99

20. DrFootball

Thanks. We're meeting with the BERSA Rep. At SHOT,..so we will ask as to availability in my corner of the US!