best .22lr bolt action rimfire for adult beginner?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by mike2021, Jul 4, 2012.

1. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

I am 22 years old and I am new to shooting. I have been shooting with my brothers ruger 10/22 and my other brother's Henry golden boy lever action and decided it would be nice to get a bolt action rim fire in the family, problem is I don't know which one is best for my budget of 300$ max. Less expensive is always better. I'm really into accuracy and getting a solid foundation of shooting skills, and one day in the future go small game hunting.
    I know savage mark 2 series is always mentioned but I'm interested in knowing if there is any difference besides price between all models that fall under the "mark 2 series" I need it to be .22lr because of cheap ammo.

Thanks in advance guys!!

2. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I have a Savage bolt in 17hmr and love it .. I would like to get one in 22lr also, so I guess my vote would be the Savage. You can pick up the scoped combos pretty cheap from time to time.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Mike, check out the Marlins and the Savages. both make some very accurate and would fall well within your budget. Marlin and Savage both have bolt actions in either a box magazine or tube type magazine versions. different stock options and barrel options. optins of either open sights or using a scope. i have a Savage M93r17, which i bought about eight years ago and really like it. my next rimfire is going to be the new Marlin XT22 in 22 Magnum. check out the Marlin and the Savage websites to see what suits your fancy. good luck and enjoy.

4. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

Thank you guys for the quick response! I think I remember carrying the marlin xt22 and felt that it was very barrel heavy. I also carried the savage mark 2 f and it's weight seemed much more evenly distributed. I don't know what's best for accuracy. Does marlin have an edge on savage? Or are they basically the same?

5. Axxe55

even though i own the Savage and am very happy with it, my Marlin rimfire is just as accurate at shorter ranges. the Savage is a M93r17, in 17HMR and the Marlin is a M60 in 22lr. the Marlins have better rifling in the barrels, but truth be known, they are pretty close in accuracy. Marlin or Savage, you won't be disappointed with either one.

6. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

What's the difference in ammo being 17hmr or 22lr? Is one more expensive than the other?

I knew savage was a definite option but I'm just curious to know if all models under the "mark 2 series" are as accurate. Cause they have like 15-20 models labeled "mark II" the one I picked up was the "mark II F"

7. Axxe55

17HMR is a 22WMR necked down to a 17 caliber bullet. bore is much smaller that a 22. yes 17HMR ammo is somewhat more expensive than 22lr ammo. i pay about $13-15 per 50 rounds.

pretty much as far as accuracy. the different letter codes are just different options on the series. some have wood stocks, some synthetic, different barrel contours, ect...

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife has a Savage MKII FV in17HM2 and I have a MKII FV-SR in 22lr. Very good rifles. The FV-SR has a 16" barrel that is threaded for a suppressor or other accessories.

9. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

The problem with the fv-sr for me is the fact that it has no iron sights. The gun looks beautiful through. though I do eventually want to put a scope on it, at the moment I want to practice fundamentals on plain sights.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If it were me, I'd look for a Mossberg U.S. '44 or Winchester Targetmaster. Both are fairly old, but are incredible shooters. I like my dads old 1952 JC Higgins (Marlin 100) .22s l lr. Very accurate out past 100 yards w/ iron sights.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There is also the MKII HVT which has target sights and the MKII F which is a light barrel with irons. Both have the Accutrigger. The F is probably the cheapest of the MKII series.

12. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

I have a Marlin 25 that I like. I got it in a trade so I have no idea what they cost these days. It's accurate and easy to shoot.

That said, I'd take my Winchester 9422 lever action .22 over that Marlin everyday every time.

Other than for your interest in getting a bolt action for the sake of having a bolt action, I wouldn't trade my Win. 9422 for any other .22 on the planet! It'll hit thumb tacks at 74 yds all day long. The ghosts of many small game animals around here will testify to the speed and accuracy of that lever action.

Just my 2 cents on it. But if you really want a bolt, I think Marlin makes good quality rifles.

13. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

The reason I don't want a lever action is because my brother has the Henry golden boy. We are trying to diversify our gun collection. And honestly I happen to prefer bolt action over any other action anyway.

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Marlin makes some good rifles. I would look at them. I have a 25 its great. I like the looks of the new xt22 but haven't got one yet

15. priell3

priell3 New Member

After reading this thread I am considering a Savage Mark II FV-SR. I contacted on nearby shop and they have it in stock for $225.

16. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

Let me know how it is. I cant go with that one because it doesn't have iron sights.

17. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

I just called a pawn shop and apparently they shave a model 60 for 89$. As much as I want a bolt action I think I need to buy this gun...

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

mike2021 Mike go over to CZ's web page and find one of the models that fits what you wnat. There on a hole more accurate than savage and a btter class of build. They have different models with open sights to pick from. Great rifles. This might fit the needs well.-http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-special-military-training-rifle/

19. Axxe55

i agree that the CZ rifles are good, but he has a budget of $300. i don't think he can get the CZ for that.

20. priell3

priell3 New Member

A Savage Mark II FV-SR rode home with me today in the back of my Jeep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012