Best 22lr ammo?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BeyondTheBox, Oct 11, 2012.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

We all know rimfire isn't the most reliable form of firearm cartrige, but I'm curious what others have found to be the best, based on their experience.

I know some guns prefer some ammo that others wont fire, and visa versa, but is there a brand/type that seems to suit them all, or perform better on an overall basis? ...thus the point of my inquiry.

In three of the four 22lr guns I've had, CCI MiniMags have performed flawlessly. However, one doesn't seem to like anything CCI that I've tried (MiniMags & Blazer bulk). When presented in another thread here, someone suggested that this is because CCI tends to make harder to strike/ignite primers. I'm not so sure about that, but I can see the possibility of it with my aforementioned experience.

Anyway, I've yet to try anything else, but just picked up a box of Federal bulk to do so next outing. Hoping for better contact with the picky piece!! Wish me luck, am looking forward to the findings and experiences of others.

Thanks all!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not real sure of the answer your looking for but IMO it a 22 wont work with CCI mini mags i'd shed it :confused:

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I think I may have found out why my one gun wasn't performing well, and I don't believe it was due to the ammo, rather gunk build up in the firingpin canal and, especially, in the spring. Realized that this particular arm requires a dry firingpin assembly. The gape it comes through to strike the round is far too large and allows for much to much powder to enter it. That paired with the moisture of the lube causes sludge. I cleaned it pretty thoroughly today after firing and will test theory later with the Federal bulk and some more MiniMags, so we'll see.

Either way I'm still trying to see what others have found. You may be all for the MiniMags, but what have you seen overall? Do they perform best in one gun, or all, or some? What about other brands, have you tried? If so what did they do? I just want info because to this point I've only tried the CCI. Don't worry about telling me what I want to hear, I can compile and form an opinion based off what I read here on my own.

So, one vote for MiniMags then, hahaha!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I have never seen someone say anything bad about the Mini Mags.

5. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I love the Federal Bulk from Walmart.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

< price = GOOD THING

If they don't work in your gun, get a better gun!

7. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Another fan of mini-mags for an all purpose 'best' at a decent price. I look forward to trying fed bulk as I am a big fan of federal.

8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

In last 2 weeks i've been in n out of several Walmarts in Vegas. None of them have it in stock. $19.99 for $550 rounds.
    But i found sportsmansguide.com has them, 500 rounds for $18ish. Ordered 5 boxes with free shipping.

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Terrible excuse for rational thought process. If gun don't work in it figure out why and fix it. Jeesh!!!

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Too much effort----
    Getting a better gun is better :cool:

11. hmh

hmh New Member

CCI subsonic lr hp for my rifles, federal bulk pack for pistols.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Another vote for CCI...:)

13. BigB

BigB New Member

CCI works for me. The Remington CBee hp give me problems.

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Mini mags, Stingers, old Remington Yellow Jacket rounds, Winchester Super X, Federal bulk pack, Winchester Dynapoints, all have worked well in my Beretta 21a, and Ruger Mk II (haven't run Stingers through the Mk II).

The Beretta had to be run on a steady diet of hot loads at first but has gotten less selective as it gets older.

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Hahahahaah, to each their own. I think any self-respecting alpha male would choke on the words you just wrote. I'm a tinkerer by nature and nurture and damn proud of it.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Just be careful you don't tinker a gun with a couple minor

problems into a paperweight.

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Eh, I like learning lessons, usually the hardest way possible, on my own, and always consider it a worthwhile thing, no matter the outcome, as long as I've actually learned something from it. Hahaha

18. jmckoy

jmckoy New Member

The cheaper the better. My Ruger sr22 eats up any kind of ammo- Remington bulk, Winchester white box, all that good stuff.

19. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

I have a Ruger 10/22, Marlin Model 60, and a Browning Buckmark, they have all handled anything I have put thru them. I usually have on hand the Federal bulk pack, and CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  20. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I can't remember, are the MiniMags high velocity?