Best 22 Semi Automatic that shoots LR, long and shorts

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by CheckUrSix, Oct 7, 2008.

1. CheckUrSix

CheckUrSix New Member

what older model gun shot the 22 long rifle longs and 22 shorts and was semi Auto and cycled/no jams?
    Thanks
    gentlemen

2. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Without testing my google skills I will admit ignorance on this one. I have never thought about it but I have never seen any semi that will shoot 22S. I am sure the answer is obvious, I just dont know it!;)

3. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Remington 550, 550-1. It had a floating chamber so it would cycle them all. I just picked one up for my oldest son.

4. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Learn something every time I am on here!

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have a Remington 550 and a 550-1 (birthday present from daughter, selected by grandaughter) They will happily digest LR, Longs, Shorts- AND- are my only autos that will cycle with CCI CB Longs. And they are darned accurate rifles. Had "Pwer Piston" floating chambers. See one now and again on auctionarms.com, or gunbroker.com

6. KEM804

KEM804 New Member

Savage Mod 7H

7. WhiteWolf4

WhiteWolf4 New Member

Remmington 550

Sweet shootin rifle....My uncle also had a Winchester Mod 63 automatic i think it was....also a sweet shootin rifle...he could strike matches with that thing....WhiteWolf

8. marysdad

marysdad Member

IIRC, High-Standard made a semi-auto rifle that would work with all three types.

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Remington model 552 is an "updated" version of the 550 series,has been in production for years,and is a pretty slick lil rifle. it offers most of the same features of the older 550 series but has better walnut.

10. h2oskikrazy

h2oskikrazy New Member

I have a Remington 552 Speedmaster that shoots all of mentioned rounds. It's old. It was purchased used in the early 80s. Keep it clean and lubricated and use good ammo-it's 100%. Use cheap ammo, I get a few ftfs. I get more ftfs in below freezing temps also. It shoots straight-even out to 100 yards. These can still be purchased new.

11. Nosmog

Nosmog New Member

22 Rimfire for short-long-long rifle

Older Winchester 190-290 would function Ok with shorts, long, and long rifle 22. after maybe 1974 / 75 they would only work with long rifle.

12. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

My Marlin 60 cycles pretty well with the CCI CB Longs.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Althou I've specially modified semiautos to cycle reliably with .22cb longs by going with extremely light spring and lightening the mass weight of the bolt,if your rifle IS reliably cyling .22 cb longs,it's UNSAFE to shoot with regular pressure .22LR cartridges. Matt-PLEASE get another spring or have your gunsmith do it as the spring has either worn out or lost it's temper-thus losing compression rate.:eek:

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I have a Remington 514 my father handed down to me. It shoots long rifle, long, and short, but its not an auto loader. It has incredible accuracy. Good for children to learn on because its a single shot rifle.

15. stetson

stetson New Member

Don't know have not tried any of my semi auto's with 22 shorts.I have a
    Marlin model 60 and a Ruger 10/22 have no reason to try 22 shorts in them.
    Why would I want to? Use to use to use shorts in my bolts as a young kid because of cost.

16. the3pete@att.net

the3pete@att.net New Member

Any number of Mossbergs semis will shoot all three rounds. I can't think of a bad one among them.

17. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I can't even think of a reason to use shorts these days...I'm training my kid with a bolt-action Marlin myself...I use bulk .22lr's...whatever happens to be on sale.

Marlin 60 is for many reasons the number one selling semi-auto .22LR rifle because it'll pretty much eat any type of .22LR round you put in it.
    Not to mention the Micro-groove barrel...
    Not to mention the T-900 trigger system...
    Not to mention they are now owned by Remington and have their backing...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  18. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Oh, they'll cycle the action...the problem is that when you shoot anything but LR the bullets will get start getting stuck in the barrel once the barrel gets to a certain dirtyness point because half the power of the .22 cb long rounds is being used TO cycle the action. I've never been fond if having to push stuck lead out of a barrel...

It'll fire 'em...but it won't like it :(

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009