best. 22 semi auto

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by potentialglock, Oct 24, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

So I'm wanting to get a good. 22 lr semi auto like the sr22 or sig mosquito. What would be a good gun to work on fundamentals preferably around $350

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Well I don't have mine in my possession yet but the Ruger MkI/II/III series get very good reviews.

3. RNstanger

RNstanger New Member

I may have already said it once on here, but I absolutely love my Bersa Thunder 22. I've shot the Walther P22 (junk), S&W M&P22 and Beretta Bobcat, Ruger MarkII. But to me the Bersa is the perfect size and feels solid, Reliable and accurate.

4. slog

slog New Member

Stay away from the Sig Mosquito and the P22 like the plague. Get a Ruger 22/45 (MKIII) or a Bersa. The Ruger has a bolt instead of a slide. Fits in your hand better, too. Extremely accurate. The Bersa is similar to a Walther PPK. Has an external hammer if you like that as an option.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I really like the Rugers but I"d say out of the box the Browning Buckmark has a better trigger. I have one of the 1911-22's from Chiappa that I really like a lot. Being a 1911 fiend makes one of those a must have and they can be had at 3000 or less about anywhere.:)

6. Texgunner

Texgunner Member

I have two Rugers, a Mk I and a Mk III. I'm quite fond of both pistols. The Mk I is older than me.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thats like saying stay away from the chili at Sonic because it gave YOU the runs- I had two Sketters & both ran great :cool:
    On a 22 simi tho i'd stay in the Ruger family --

8. potentialglock

What about the chiappa. 22lr 1911?

9. potentialglock

Cause that's what I'm thinking

10. potentialglock

Being a 1911 fiend makes one of those a must have and they can be had at 3000 or less about anywhere.:)[/QUOTE]

I hope u mean 300$ lol

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I hope u mean 300$ lol[/QUOTE]

I have a GSG 1911 22lr, imported by ATI, lots of inexpensive range fun. Depending on options, a new ATI GSG will be $350 to $400 otd.

I have no first hand experience with the Chiappa version.

12. KahrCarryingInfidel

KahrCarryingInfidel New Member

I have a Ruger MkII and Sig 1911-22. Both are accurate and fun to shoot. The Browning Buckmark and Ruger 22/45 are decent platforms as well.

The Walther P22, S&W M&P 22 and Ruger SR 22 look like quality guns too. In that group, my money would go to the Smith.

Lots of choices out there. Enjoy your hunt.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

In my experience & opinion say no to it- I had one- No grip safety, left grip panel holds the mag catch & plunger tube in place -All plastic sights, VERY cheap gun- For a little more you can do a lot better---

14. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

For your budget it would be a good idea to check out the Bersa Thunder 22. It's a fun shooter, reliable and accurate. Just be sure to use high velocity rounds.

I have a Sig 1991 22le, a Bersa T22 and an American Classic/Chiappa (no longer in production). Shooting 22 cal is just plan fun and you don't have to see your banker first!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  15. potentialglock

I saw a sig 1911 olive drab. 22 for 400$. Might pounce on that once this hurricane passes

16. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

GSG (German Sport Guns) makes the 1911 22lr for both ATI & Sig. Sigs appear to have snazier grips and finish options.

My GSG came with plastic grips, I bought a set of wood grips made locally.

17. potentialglock

So even a. 22lr 1911 can still receive grips made for a. 45 1911

18. potentialglock

This was supposed to be a question so add "?"

19. slog

slog New Member

Whatever 1911 you chose you should read many reviews first. They're not all one in the same when it comes to .22 caliber. It's a funny cartridge because it's long and small with a big rim (by proportion) and a lot of guns have problems feeding.

You might also consider getting a .45 1911 and buying the .22LR conversion kit. Then you'd have a nice .45 to use when you need a weapon and a .22LR to plink with.

On the other hand, I'd still consider the Ruger 22/45. It's without a doubt the most reliable .22LR pistol made and unbelievably accurate. I can place consistent shots at 100 yards around 6'' spread with the iron sights, and the flat top models easily adapt to optics. The grip is nearly identical to the 1911, and many people use them as trainers for 1911's.

20. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Generally speaking yes. The GSG made guns definitely a yes.

Browning's 1911 22lr seems to be smaller framed gun.