best 22 semi auto handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jeffalex17, Jan 4, 2011.

1. jeffalex17

jeffalex17 New Member

I am looking to buy a good target 22 handgun. Any suggestions? I own a Walther P22 that is fun but not a target gun

2. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

BEST??????? Best price, best quality, best built i.e. most reliable? Seldom, well never is the best quality the best value. Most top quality firearms were built years ago and command a premium price.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you can find a PPK/s in .22, you would not look any further.

4. jeffalex17

jeffalex17 New Member

I am looking for a good 22 target gun. I guess something like a Ruger MK III but wondering if I should consider something else instead. Heard of the Sig Hamerli Trailside don't know if that's better

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Browning buckmark and the Ruger MkII and MkIII are some of the most accurate 22 pistols on the market.

@ dan becuase my Ruger will shoot rings around that PPK.

The Sig Trailside is another grate gun.

If you look used

Hi Standard and Colt Woodsman are are deadly accurate.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have 2 of the Ruger pistols. A new Mk III I bought last year. Works great, quite accurate. The other, a Standard Automatic, I bought in 1971. It has shot enough ammo to fill the bed of a Chevy S-10 pickup. The Browning Buckmark is a nice pistol. Ruger is DAMNED good. I have an old pre war Colt Woodsman, and Ruger will outshoot it. Advantage- rear sight is on a non-moving part. Woodsman- rear sight moves with moving action.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I almost heard a challenge there.

PPK/s is not a "target" handgun, per se, but it works for me.

Beretta 76 could be an option. Look for used.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one and if you can find one, get it. Make sure you get the 6" adjustable sight target model if you are serious about target. $400-$500 used if you can find one. The top rail is standard 3/8" and will take 22 rimfire rings or red dots with 3/8" base if you want optics. I have a 2.5x pistol scope for mine. Mine does not have the adjustable rear sight and target grips but the same frame.

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

My vote is for the browning buckmark, it's superb.

[​IMG]

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Look for an old High Standard Victor or Supermatic Citation. They are dedicated target pistols that won't break the bank.

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yeah, but they're ugly! :D

12. freefall

freefall New Member

My Ruger MkI with 5 1/2" bull barrel is FIERCELY accurate. Smith 41 is more elegant but I can't imagine it shooting any better.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

It's going to be darn hard to find a more accurate .22 target pistol than Ruger-especially in that price range. I have a scoped mk2 Competition Target and a mk3 22/45 that I converted back to a mk2. Both are much more accurate than I'll ever hope to be. Sure they're a major PIA to field strip until you learn the knack of it. It's very quick and easy after that. I regularly outshoot my buddy that has a S&W model 41. Put my vote in for Ruger.

14. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I have a High Standard Victor that I love. I sold my Ruger Mark II Government Target for it to a friendand he loves it and I get to shoot it some times. My money would be on the Victor first , Smith & Wesson , than the Ruger. I do miss My ruger but I love my Victor . I would like to get a S&W 41 and another Ruger though.
    Any that are listed would be good guns.
    F.K.

15. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

If you can't find one of these ( Hammerli International)

<<<<

A S&W mod.41 is a hard act to follow,as are the Highstandard Trophy and Victor.

The Rugers are good pistols but need to be worked over to shoot with any of the above.

Dan

16. freefall

freefall New Member

I would bet on my Ruger Mk I against any .22 production pistol in the world. At my advanced age I would need someone better than me to operate it, but I can not imagine any better intrinsic accuracy. We need some well heeled mods (hint, hint) to do a Ransom Rest test of various models.:rolleyes:

17. powg

powg New Member

.22 auto

ruger mk 2 target 6 7/8 barrel ...........enough said!

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Really? I like the High Standards. Old school, fo sho, but still turning heads at the range.

Here is my 25 year old Buckmark and a couple of my High Standards.

[​IMG]

19. Kain

Kain Member

I was given an old '70s model Ruger MkI standard by my grandfather that he bought new for $25. (still has the original box and recipt) He estimates between him, my grandmother, his kids and anyone else who felt like shooting it there have been close to 1,000,000 rounds through it and cleaned/oiled maybe 5 times. And it's still a stunningly accurate gun. A minor hassle to field strip until you get the hang of it, and loading it hurts your thumbs after a couple dozen mags, but for the money it can't be beat. For what it's worth, it's also the only gun I have that I can absolutely say I will never sell.

20. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Realistically I think almost every decent .22 semi-auto pistol made today is more accurate than anyone can shoot--so pick the one you like the best.