Best .22 Ruger Mark III ammo?

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by KMGunGirl, Jul 11, 2013.

1. KMGunGirl

KMGunGirl New Member

i know that sometimes the ammo you use can affect accuracy and most of the shooting i do is target. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best, most accurate .22 rounds?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

That will probably be Match quality ammo. Expect to pay around $15-$25/50 rounds. Rounds I have used with good results are Lapua Master, Nobel R-50, Fiocchi Match, Eley Tenex. Wolf Match is also very good. Disappointed in Winchester Match.

HOWEVER- unless you are a SERIOUS competitive shooter, you will not see a major difference between GOOD ammo and EXCELLENT ammo. For GOOD ammo- and a lot less money- Federal Champion Target, and CCI

3. KMGunGirl

KMGunGirl New Member

Federal, so far, works decent. CCI on the other hand doesn't.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

5. JosephMD

JosephMD New Member

I'll have a Mark III soon - I'll be happy with ammo that I can find that cycles the action properly.

For rifles, I know ELEY Match is good too, although I've found it hard to come by in the states.

6. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Yeah really! I am going to buy a 22/45 Target next week and I am scrambling to any quality ammo to shoot. All I can find deals on is that Calibri primer .22. Which sucks for me, since it won't cycle a SA action.

7. KMGunGirl

KMGunGirl New Member

CCI ar tactical long rifle

8. indy36

indy36 New Member

CCI Mini-Mag is the best for me

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

CCI Mini Mags or Winchester Hp's, are the best In Mine & My Wife's .22's. Also Federal Match .22LR works well also.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My Mark II eats and spits out just about anything. I usually plink with Federal bulk ammo in the red box. I seem to do okay hitting the metal targets.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Accuracy is a lot like speed. The final arbiter is often, "How much money you got?" That said, it's been my observation that .22s do not always adhere to the "spend a lot, get a lot" theory.
    Different guns have different preferences. In order to determine what your gun prefers, you will need to put it on the bench and check to see what actually shoots the best in your pistol. Buy some different brands of ammo and start ammo testing. Many times it will not be the ammo that cost the most. I haven't really put my Ruger MK3 on the bench much aside from sighting it in. I can still put everything in one ragged hole at 10 to 15 yards when I do my job. Keep them reasonably clean & lubed and they aren't fussy at all. I can count the number of malfunctions on one hand over the three years (and several thousand rounds) I've owned it. All off those were dud ammo.
    I tend to stick with CCI in times (when it's on the shelves) simply because I find it to be consistently good. A lot less of the "Oh crap I got me a bad batch" issues. With the current ammo shortage, you may have to take what you can get. (I had to buy Remington..I never buy Remington if given any sort of choice.)
    Start with some CCI Green Tag and or/Pistol Match, and sample some other target or standard velocity ammo that's commonly available in your area (if any). Eley and RWS make a number of different products for the serious competitor, and you will pay a premium for it. While your at it, try a box of MiniMags and some other common high velocity stuff to see how it does. You may be surprised. My Kimber Rifle shoots Mini Mags nearly as well as Eley Black box. It's certainly close enough that tripling the cost of ammo really isn't worth my time.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I did this with my Mark II. I tried about 10 different brands of ammo shooting from a bench to find out what grouped best. Wolf Match Target, SKB, and Eley Target Rifle seemed to group best in mine. Eley Target Pistol didn't group quite as well as the rifle load for some reason, and oddly enough the Target Pistol grouped better out of my Ruger 10/22 than the Target Rifle load did. So, each gun will have it's preferences.