Best .22 Round

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by samrvincent, Nov 19, 2012.

1. samrvincent

samrvincent New Member

What is the very best .22 lr round?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Best for what?

Squirrels or rabbit, maybe a hollow point.

For shooting the fat hog in the pen at butchering time, use a FMJ.

For punching holes in paper, the least expensive that your gun will cycle if it is an auto-loader. If a single shot, pump, lever or bolt action, most any will work.

I have had good results with Blazer and Federal for plinking.

3. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

i favor cci stingers or remington yellow jackets

4. northhike

northhike New Member

Brand....I would say CCI. In terms of entering ballistic gel I would say Velocitor 40 grain followed by Stingers. In terms of fun....all will do. :D

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Very broad question but i'll say CCI Mini Mag for general use-

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Another "Define best" answer here. If you are referring to plinking, CCI. If you mean serious 12 lb bull barreled 0.25 MOA ACCURACY, start trying Match ammo. Wolf 22LR Match is pretty good, price reasonable. Have also had good success with Lapua Master, Nobel R-50 (nearly $20 per fifty) There is also Green Tag, Eley Tenex, etc etc etc.

7. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

Ive been wondering the same question. I would just be hitting paper targets myself.Ive looked online at purchasing in bulk, but Ive been told that some ammo is junk, and Ill be cleaning the rifle before I get through 200 rounds for some brands.

8. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

I've been using Winchester in both my savage mark II and my marlin 795. With no complaints.

9. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Federal Bulk ammo is decent. I used to be biased towards Winchester ammo. Lately you aren't sure what you are buying when you get Winchester ammo. Every time a foreign manufacturer makes Winchester a great proposal they start buying their ammo. The only ammo I consistently buy from Winchester is AA shotgun ammo.

For all around use I like round nose mini-mags. Hollow point ammo such as stingers ruin to much meat on small game. Hollow points also lack the penetration to take medium sized game like marsh hens or coyotes. I have also seen hollow points bounce off crow wings.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  10. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

For all around plinking and squirrel control....I am partial to the Winchester Dynapoint.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You will just have buy and try to find what works well enough for you. Keep note on results so you don't buy again and note that a label may have multipul choices to pick from even a 500 round bulk may not be as good as the same name in 50 round boxs.

12. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I bought a box of like 8-9 different .22 ammo and tested each one.
    I found Remington subsonic to be the most accurate, with the tightest groups.

This was done at 25 yards, and I only use these rounds for hunting small game, due to their accuracy and lack of sonic crack.

They're around $3.77 for a box of 50.

Most accurate round out of a cmmg .22 conversion, 597, and a gsg5.

I've read that the .22 is so light in grain that the higher velocities really make the bullets fly out and lose accuracy, while the subsonics hold tighter groups because they travel slower.

I have never tried, but I have heard people RAVE about the Aguilla rounds. There is a special round you can find online that is around 68 grain and subsonic. I've heard they are super accurate and decimate small game due to the weight.

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Watch out with the 60 grain rounds. They aren't worth a bird turd in a semi auto, unless you buy an aftermarket barrel with the right twist (10-22, green mountain I think). In my bolt action, they are accurate at 50 yards, begin tumbling at 75, and are completely keyholing at 100.

14. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Interesting! Thanks for sharing the experience.

15. JustMDM

JustMDM New Member

I'm planning on taking my 10/22 with a suppressor on it deer hunting with me so I can take out annoying squirrels, is there a subsonic round for this purpose?

16. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

Every rifle is a bit different, ammo that is accurate in one rifle may not be in an other. Use a bench rest with forearn and but rests. Try different brands of ammo. Shoot three five shot groups out of the same box of ammo. You are checking ammo accuracy , not shooters abality. If you get a scope, get one that has an adjustable objective lens AO down to 10 yards. Save your targets and record the brand , bullet type, and lot number on the target and distance Yds to target. When you find what you like go back to the store and get a bunch of ammo with the same lot number. When you run out of ammo and cant get the same lot number you need to run a new test. Different lots may not shot the same. For hunting I like HV HP 22 ammo. I site the rifles in at 60 yards. I then set targets at 20, 40, 60, and 80 yards and fire five shot groups at each target to see how high and low the groups are. Determine the center of the groups and record it on the targets. I save the target so later I can see what my groups are at different ranges.

17. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The sub sonic rounds could cause your 10/22 not to function. A friend tried the subsonic ammo in my JA-22. It was like shooting a pellet gun, had to cock it every time.

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Be careful about local laws! Most states don't allow hunting with suppressors.

19. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Most states do not allow you to hunt small and large game at the same time either.