Best 22 lr pistol

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Merlin2525, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Merlin2525

Merlin2525 New Member

Hey folks, new to the forum and new to shooting. I love it, I simply love it! Now as a rookie I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. I need a little help in selecting a 22 pistol to work on shooting, I think the verbage is a gun to plink with. I have a Ruger LCR and love it but it has a tough recoil issue and its getting expensive to shoot. So can you recommend a good 22 for me to shoot with. I have looked at a Ruger, S&W, and a Browning. There is good and bad about all three. Many of you own one of these so could you tell me why you like your gun. I know the Ruger is a bear to clean, that not in its favor since I am a rookie. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Using the words "best" and "gun" in your post title makes it a question that has no answer. What's best for me may not work for you at all and vice-versa. Answer a few questions and we can share our experiences. For example: What's your budget? Do you want plastic or steel? Revolver or semi-auto?

BTW, if you intend to hang around, pop over to the introductions area and tell us a little about yourself...

3. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

I have the stainless, fluted bull barreled Ruger 22/45 and love it.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have a blued 6" Ruger Mark III Classic. I am having some issues with disassembly and reassembly right now. I expect to have no issues with it after I do it a few more times.

As far as the pistol itself, it's a hoot and I'm sorry I didn't buy one long ago.

5. utf59

utf59 New Member

I own a Ruger Mk III 22/45, and I love it. I have also shot a number of other Rugers, various models with differnt barrel lengths, and I loved them all. The disassembly is not like other guns, and that is a bit of a pain. But they are a blast to shoot.

I know a couple of people with S&W .22 autos. They are both of the lower-end variety. They both have occasional feed issues. It doesn't happen all that often, but it's a personal preference how often you are willing to let that happen before you choose something else. For me, though, they are still a lot of fun.

Can't speak about the higher-end S&Ws or the Browning Buckmark.

The .22 is a great learning platform. It's also great for "continuing education" and cheap shooting fun. I've been shooting for around 40 years, and I take a .22 with me on nearly every range outing. It's a cheap way to maintain fundamentals, and it's a lot of fun. I'll shoot something else as well, but then I don't need to use up a lot of the more expensive ammo to get all my practice in.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For the money, hard to beat a Ruger Mk III. There are folks that love their S&Ws, Colt Woodsman, Browning Buckmark, High Standards, etc ad infinitum. As far as the assembly problems with the Rugers, learn how to do it ONCE, and you can do it in 3 seconds.

7. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

If you are looking to improve your skills shooting your lcr while shooting a different (cheaper ammo) gun, maybe you should consider a double action revolver in 22. Just an idea.
    If you want an auto, I highly recommend the Browning Buckmarks. I also have a 22/45. It is a very nice little gun for someone who is trying to simulate the 1911 feel. The Ruger is a pain to reassemble after cleaning. This is the only reason I like the Browning a little better.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i have a ruger mkII out fo the list you gave. i realllllly like shooting it and find it to be one of the easier weapons i have to clean. once you get the hang of the takedown and assembly its a snap to clean. its not the only 22 pistol i have but its one of the better ones.

9. Hoot

Hoot New Member

I think you would be happy with either the Browning or Ruger. Both do their intended jobs very well. And either will be a good tool to use in learning the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship. The skills you learn with a .22 will transfer over to more serious calibers.

Do a Google on Army Marksmanship Training Uinit Manual and download it. It will discuss each element in the fundamentals, and if you are an apt pupil, you will be hitting golf balls at 25 yards in a short time. You'll do even better if you can find a qualified coach.

Plinking is a ton of fun, but use it as a reward after you've put in an hour of work at a paper target. If you don't learn the elements of good marksmanship, you will simply teach yourself a lot of bad habits, the worst of which are flinching and jerking the trigger.

But don't put off buying that .22. You will love it.

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Another vote for the browning buckmark. :cool:

11. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Purchase a 1911, then buy a 22LR kit from Marvel Precision.

Taken from website "Convert any 1911 Semi-Auto pistol into one of the most accurate .22 pistols available. Tests from a machine rest have delivered groups around 1.8" at 50 yards ... for 100 shots with inexpensive ammo"

12. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I've got the Ruger Mark III and love it. If the gun budget would allow I'd have the SW Model 41 but don't see that happening. Here's my Mark III:

[​IMG]

13. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

This. The Model 41 is as good as it gets, but it's about $1000, and I don't have that kind of money. The Ruger is fun to shoot, an absolute tack driver, and built like a rock. My only complaint is that it's tough to take down.

14. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Another vote on the Ruger :)

[​IMG]

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Those are nice ruger's!

Here's my 1995 buckmark with a tasco red dot on it.

[​IMG]

Here it is plain with a ruger single six.

[​IMG]

:)

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I tried to be scientific and ask questions to help fine-tune the advice. Anyway, here are my 3 that range in price from $400 to about $650: Ruger Mk III Hunter; Sig P220R SAO; and S&W 617 10 shot...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

^^^NGIB, thats a nice 22lr handgun trifecta right there....

love all these pics, but they tend to make me want one of each....:eek:

a 1911 in 22lr that could go back to its orig 45acp caliber would be my choice for now i think.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Out of all I've seen I like NGIB's S&W 617 the best! How much can I get on a trade Dave??? :D

19. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I actually had to order that one from Bud's gun shop as I couldn't find one locally...

20. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I'll have to put a plug in for the Ruger mk2/mk3 Competition Target pistols. I have 2 of them, both scoped, and both will get 1/2-3/4" groups at 25 yards from a solid rest. They are a PIA to field strip until you learn how, then it only takes a few seconds like C3 said. I also have a mk 3 22/45 (actually my daughter's) with open sights and it'll shoot better than I can. They are VERY reliable. The Buckmark does have a better out of box trigger pull however, but who leaves them completely stock?