Best 22 for the price.

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by DKA, Jun 6, 2008.

1. DKA

DKA New Member

What is the best 22 Bolt for the price now? Want to buy one and have not been shopping.

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

What kind of price are we talking here?

I was pleasantly surprised with a Savage I picked up for the
    kids. Accu-trigger, synthetic stock, 10 rd magazine fed. Nice
    accurate little rifle for around $140.

Bill

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Many times you can get an older mossberg 22 for a good price. With a little elbow grease the stock can be made to look really good. My dad has turned some $35 guns in to real lookers.

I have two old remmingtons one of which will turn in 1" 100 yards groups.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Agree on the older Mossbergs. Have a 44US that will outshoot most Winchester target rifles that sell for 4x more. You might also look around for a used Marlin 81 or 81DL. Great little bolt action. You will hear a lot about Marlin 60's, and Ruger 10-22s- but there are other better cheaper rifles to be had. Rarely does anyone WEAR OUT a 22.

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin makes a very solid series of .22's that are inexpensive yet reliable. I like finding them in pawnshops & in local "Shopper" type papers :)

I'm rather fond of Calico .22's of any pedigree...folks tend to put them back together wrong so I buy 'em for a song and re-assemble them for my own fun :) Ain't nothin like 100 rounds of .22lr's fired off as fast as you can speedbump 'em :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. DKA

DKA New Member

Bill, you were dead on target and so was the Savage. Bought a MKll F and I believe it is the best buy for the money.

7. 2gun

2gun New Member

I like the little Steven Favorite . I bought 2 for me 2 grand sons to start out with.

8. 4rum

4rum New Member

I started my hunting career with a Stevens Favorite when I was seven years old. That would have been '56. That little rifle made it's way out of the family while I was in the service in the late 60's. I'd give big buck$ to get it back if I could find it. I did try for several years, never could track it down. :(

9. seedy

seedy Member

You should try the Stevens favorite in 22mag. I go by price. Since the 22lr can be picked up for $11 for 500 I like to use a semi auto but when 22mag is going for almost the same price for 50, a single shot makes sense. CD

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The marlin bolt rifles are awfully hard to beat.

11. Virginia58

Virginia58 Member Supporter

I'll second the vote on a Marlin bolt rifle. I bought my son one for his 12th birthday. He's 20 now and still takes if out target shooting. Very accurate, simple operation and safe.

12. J_Ebinger

J_Ebinger New Member

I bought a Savage model 64F NIB for $120, I would have to say that once the clip was worked in, its a great little riffle for the money.

But my personal opinion

13. 2gun

2gun New Member

I had some odd ball ammo that wouldn't work very well in my regular .22's so I bought a NEF .22 break top and it is a great shooter. Seveal Gophers bit the dust with it and the junk ammo.

14. Joe M

Joe M New Member

A 67 year old friend of mine just bought a Savage Mark IG - bolt action single shot. I believe this is the old single shot bolt action Lakefield Mark I...

It's reasonably priced, and with a 3-7 x 20 scope on it, it proved to be a tac driver at the range yesterday. Once zeroed in off the bench from 25 yards he was getting 1/4 to 3/8ths inch - 3 shot groups in the bullseye.

I'd recommend this rifle to anyone looking for a basic .22 bolt action. It does
    come with the accu-trigger.

I will also add that growing up and through the years I have owned many Marlin .22 BA's and I liked them all.