Best 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by datahaar, Aug 2, 2011.

1. datahaar

datahaar New Member

Who makes the best 1911? I am new to handguns and have found no real good evidence that one is better than the other. If you coulld please aim me in the right direction.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum, we have an area "Introductions"

Now back to your question:
    Range, Self-Defense, Target, Competition, Display?

What is the firearm to be used for? Like vehicles have 4 tires, some are designed for off-road, others for luxury.

Please be more specific.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Depends also on what you are willing to spend.

5. Ambrola

Ambrola New Member

we think alike!!!

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i totally agree with cane colt is the hands down best

7. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I think it's more about manufacturer's quality. I like Colts, but my personal favorite is Springfield Armory. The pricey guns I've seen is more about the look and not so much on the shot. You'll pay more for a kimber, but a Colt or Springfield Armory would shoot on par or emphases on better with reliability and dependability. Colt and Springfield Armory have been around for over 100 years for a reason and they are reasonable on price.

8. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Colts are the best, cause my Colt have never had not one issue, and they are all stock except grips. It feels good when you're at the range with a basic Colt gov cleaning the middle of the target, and you see the guy next to you unjamming his kimber. It really bad when the guy with the kimber asks to barrow your Glock so he can shoot too.

9. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

If we're recommending SA; we should caveat that with older, American-made SA. The new stuff is not the same.

I'll second Colt. I will admit I have recently starting to look more and more at STI.

10. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

No recommendations, just my preference. I have 2 SAs and like them both. Never shot a STI, but friends recommend them a lot to me.

11. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

Both of my SAs are older as well. I'm not that impressed with Brazil. May as well be a Taurus.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

My Taurus 1911 has yet to FTF.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

The imbrel factory uses actual colt machinery from ww2. The steel they use is better than what us made recievers have. Workmanship of springfield recievers is superb. There is a huge world of difference between tarus and sa.

The machines imbrel uses are the same as what colt uses which is why they are drop in interchangeable with colt.

The older springfield armory all come from brazil. Springfield has never made recievers in the US. The new sa guns are the same as the older ones.

14. colmustard

colmustard New Member

my tarus does well, have yet to have any issues with it, and it has had a few thousand rounds down it, and it is still stock except for grips. But I do know what you mean, buying American is the way to go. I have a colt series 80 and it rocks!! The only reason I have the tarus is because it was used and cheap ( its my beater 1911 ). But when it comes to 1911's American is the only way to go. There are alot out there though, you have your colt's and kimber's I think para made the move from canada to the USA so you can also look there. Then of course you have your rolls royce 1911's like night hawk and les bear.

My advise find the one you want and get that one, even if it means you have to save for a while, that way you wont be disapointed in a few months.:)

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

So, getting back to the OP's question,
    The best at what?

16. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

It doesn't matter where it's made, it's about quality and workmanship of the weapon. I was made in Korea and I am 100% American by birth and choice, and out of 1,500 deputies in my agency I am one of the best shots. I have a SA loaded A1 made the first year they made them and it is a tighter slide and frame fit than any other 1911 I've owned, shot, or picked up: Kimber, Colt(don't hate me), Taurus, rockriver, or Wilson Combat. Both my loaded A1 and MC Operator shoot on par or better than high end 1911. SA makes one of the finest 1911s in my opinion.

17. Wambli

Wambli Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..l. Have you ever even held a Wilson Combat in your hands. Don't bother answering, I KNOW it's a NO...

18. Wambli

Wambli Member

Funny the first Colt I ever bought I had to dump because I got sick of trying to make it work reliably. Since then I've bought a few Kimbers and they have never given me any problems.

I have nothing against Colts and they make great handguns but trying to make generalizations about a gun based on one example (Colt OR Kimber) is ridiculous at best.

19. Wambli

Wambli Member

Wow you are just full of "facts" aren't you. Springfield Armory is company that makes guns that took the name of the original well known historical Springfield Armory that was around a long time ago. Today's SA has nothing to do with the old military rifles...

There is no way you can make any generalizations about the accuracy of a Kimber vs. a SA or a Colt. They are all fine guns and I would love to see some FACTUAL proof that as a "brand" one is better than another.

Last but not least, the pricier guns are pricier for a reason, Premium guns like Wilson Combat, Les Baer and others come with test targets and accuracy warranties because they are put together by hand (therefore the higher price tag) and they are tuned and tested to assure the function and accuracy of EVERY gun that leaves their premises. This has NOTHING to do with "looks".

A LITTLE knowledge is a truly dangerous thing...

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

The only things that matter in inherent accuracy of a 1911 or any other semi auto pistol is how good the barrel is and how consistent the barrel locks up to the slide. It doesnt matter how tight the slide is to the frame on a 1911 if the barrel and bushing do not return to the same orientation every cycle its going to shoot like crap.

My ithaca 1911a1 in a machine rest will turn in sub inch groups. It rattles like the *** end of a pissed off snake but the barrel bushing and slide return to the exact dame orientation each time.