Best 1911 to buy?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Nat_Turner, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Nat_Turner

Nat_Turner New Member

I Love 45's. I love SA. Knowing that what should be my first 1911. I have been lusting after the Kimber Raptor II. I am a GLOCK fan and own two of them. I was thinking of the Colt, Ruger or the Kimber. What is the best first 1911?

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Do you have a budget in mind? How about size, 100% american or foreign? We need more info.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

You could do a lot worse than SA. Good guns with a good warranty and solid customer service. My only complaint is that I believe the legal department does the triggers.
    Colt - Safe bet. When in doubt...
    Ruger - Nice guns from what I've heard. A lot of value for the money...typical Ruger. Can be hard to find.
    Kimber - tend to be controversial. One year warranty. Enthusiasts insist that Kimber will help after the year is up. They don't have to, and I'm not going to hope they will. No shortage of disgruntled Kimber owners on the 1911 forums. To be fair, they have a strong following of people who really enjoy them too. Like I said, controversial. My only Kimber is very good. It's a 30 yo rifle though. :rolleyes:

Of the choices you mention, I'd steer you toward SA or Colt.
    My wild card suggestion would be Dan Wesson, if you have the budget for it.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

If you have the budget for a kimber.....get a Colt!!

If you have a very large budget, check out Nighthawk custom

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The word "best" is very subjective. You'll get a lot of answers what other people consider is the "best" and that may or not go along with what you think. Some people have high opinions of guns I think are mediocre and the opposite is probably true for guns I have a high opinion of.

Let us know your budget and we will all spitball some good guns that fall in your budget. Get some firsthand d experience with some of those models and find the one that YOU think is "best".

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Nighthawk Customs build the best 1911 I have ever shot, which why that is what I carry.

A couple of years ago I went to SHOT with two members from here and we went to every 1911 booth first. Then we hit NHC. After a day of handling them all Scubie and DrJason both agrees the Nighthawk was the best one.

They are also very pricey and not what I would recommend for a first 1911. I would honestly look at slightly used model for your first one. That way you don't break the bank and can start saving for your dream piece.

Be warned. Once you get one, others start showing up. :D

7. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I've shot three brands... Taurus is the bottom on the list. The gun felt like a 1911, but the gun was wiggly and loose. I own a Remington R1 and really enjoy it. There are a few things I'd change (sights and I'd like an ambidextrous safety), however, for me, it's great. I shot a mag out of a S&W a friend rented from the LSG. It was nice, but 1 mag is hard to Judge a gun on.

When I was looking to buy, I wanted a SA but the Remington fell into my lap. I don't regret the Remington, but I'm sure as hell wishing the SA was in my possession too.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  8. PC167

PC167 New Member

I was checking out Les Baer 1911's until I seen the price... Ooch!

9. Nat_Turner

Nat_Turner New Member

Yes, Les Baer puts a hurting on the pocket. I do not even look at those 1911's.

10. Nat_Turner

Nat_Turner New Member

Price is a factor. I can spend around $1,000. I may go as high as $1300. I still want the best and I did see the colt commander and I like it. But Kimber is strong in my mind.

11. PC167

PC167 New Member

I'm thinking maybe Springfield 1911... I don't know... Some of my coworkers bought rock island. I think they like them?

12. DallasShooter

DallasShooter New Member

Well, since you asked for opinions....

Good entry level 1911s are made by MetroArms (American Classic) and Rock Island Armory - both made in the Phillipines, and both very well made. I own both and like both.

You can probably find a Colt in that price range. Well made (in USA) and lifetime warranty. I really like my Colt Defender -- very dependable and a great carry gun.

You can get an STI Spartan (good, abt $700) or STI Trojan (better, abt $1100) - also very well made. The Spartan is made In the Phillipines by Armscor for STI using STI parts. The Trojan is made in Texas by STI. STI has legendary customer service with a lifetime transferable warranty. I have a Spartan IV and it is a great shooter and very tight.

I've heard good and bad about Kimber but never owned one -- and never will until they change their warranty which is only one year. I only will buy from those with a lifetime warranty.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

14. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

That "best" 1911 is the one you come to rely on after extensive range time (bonding time) IMO. That being said, I think your choices are excellent. All have proven track records. They'll undoubtedly ensure that you become a true 1911 fan. I personally own two kimbers (one being the grand raptor II) and they have my complete confidence. Again as stated before, once you buy one, your going to want more.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  15. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

When I was looking at 1911s I held so many different ones!! My eyes were always on the elusive Ruger!!! I had it in my clutches two times and never brought it home.:(. Then when me and ZG were buying her AR I asked if they had the Ruger, of course they had one. So, like the saying "third times a charm." It was and it came home with me!!!!:D. The main thing you need to remember is we are not shooting it you are. That's great getting opinions, lookng up reviews, and going to different stores to handle the fine merchandise. It has to feel right to you. There are pros and cons of every gun made, but that doesn't mean the one you buy will be bad!! Good luck and can't wait to see your purchase!!!!!!!

16. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

Colt XSE enough said.

Murfdog

17. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I've got my eye on one of those too. Commander size.

18. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Shot a springfield trp fbi model today. Will be my next purchase.

19. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo New Member

Advice

Good advice. +1

20. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I did not have the money to purchase the Springfield that I wanted to so I purchased a RIA Compact and love the way it shoots. It will handle what ever I want to feed it. So I am very happy with it.

When it comes down to is that there are A LOT of 1911's out there. What is the best for some is not the best for you. Take your time and go to a shooting range where you can rent different style's of 1911's. Hell just go and hang out at the range one weekend and see how many different 1911's show up. I know around here once you start talking about the different pistols that everyone has on the range, you end up shooting the pistol in question you are talking about. It is a great way to test different weapons and make new friends.