best 1911 magazines...

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by icallshotgun88, Sep 16, 2015.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

i know a lot of people use the chip mccormick and wilson combat mags...

any others?

2. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

USGI surplus work & they're cheaper

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Tripp..........
    The last time I got surplus I had to swap pieces, throw the rusted out, correct the lips.
    By the time I was finished, I had 1 that worked (maybe).

Magazines are the Achilles heel of the 1911. Buy the best possible.
    $45 on one that works is better than $5 on 9 that don't.

4. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I have had zero issues with Tripp or Wilson.

Now those Bear mags are an entirely different issues.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Mine are mostly Tripp Research. They're a little spendy, but they've been flawless.

WC and CM are perfectly fine too.

6. Donn

Donn Active Member

Wilson Combat. No need to search any further.

7. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

CM, Tripp, Colt, Kimber and Mecgar have been the ones that work for me. Never had a bad mag other than the $5 ones that were mentioned earlier.

8. bluzman

bluzman Member

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

LK is correct, but add Wilson Combat to the list.

MecGar is the best blend of function and cost.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  10. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

Wilson combat are the best from my experience.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a 1911 that seems a bit finicky. Chip McCormick Poser mags are the ONLY mags that work in it.

You can buy more expensive magazines, but you cannot buy better magazines

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Over the years I've had good luck with Colt/Checkmate and military surplus. Lately I've tried a few Chip McCormick Shooting Star and Metalform 8-round mags with good results. Recently I got six Remington/Mec-Gar mags and one is giving me trouble.

Some of my oldest surplus mags are acting up (probably weak springs) so I tossed them in the problems box for now. One thing about surplus, there are some Chinese knockoffs posing as military surplus. I have about 18 surplus GI mags and discovered one was a Chinese counterfeit. (Funny thing, it's well made and functions fine but annoys me that they even faked the GI coding on the base plate!)

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I think my Norinco 1911 came with similar mags that looked like GI mags with serial numbers on the bottom. Don't remember that Norinco ever jamming on anything but some lead semi-wadcutter reloads that were a bit on the weak side. Father in law has the pistol on long term loan now.

14. weapon

weapon New Member

Stainless steel Metalform seven round mags with the stainless round top follower. Swap out the mag springs for Wolff +5% power mag springs. Then polish the sides and top of the follower until you can see your reflection in it well enough to use it as a shaving mirror. The end result is as bulletproof as any magazine will ever be.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My fake mag has a genuine manufacturer code 30745 (Mason Rust), so it's hard to tell from authentic Mason Rust contract mags except that the witness holes are larger and offset a bit. It honestly is well made so I keep it as a range magazine and a reminder what the witness holes look like.

16. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A long time ago I would just use the mags that came with the pistol. Then I decided to try several different magazines that I had heard people talk about from Wilson, CM, Tripp, etc. I first started with Wilson Combat mags in 45acp and 9mm. After using them for about 6 months I didn't even bother buying the other brands as the Wilson Combat mags were unbelievable. They have never failed me in all the years I have used them, not one single time, maybe I am lucky. It's still the only brand I buy, no need to change perfection. And you can catch them on sale from the Wilson Combat website for a damn good deal. It's just a really good product and one I have recommended to everyone.

17. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

I use McCormick and Wilson. No problems, ever.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

. Never had a problem with any of mine. I have 5 Colt and 12 unmarked G-I Surplus. about 50 years old.

Many rounds through all of them. Change the springs about every 10-15 years