Besides Ruger 10/22, Best .22 Semi-Auto Rifles

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Proagie, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Proagie

Proagie New Member

I realize that the consensus is that the Ruger 10/22 is the best .22 rifle out there. I would like to purchase a .22 semi-auto rifle, but cannot find a Ruger 10/22, what would be your next 5 choices? In order from best to least best, please.

2. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Marlin model 60 is what I own, my wife has a Mossberg 702, and I inherited a Winchester model 190, these are the only ones have experience with.
    Top is my Winchester, bottom is the wife's Mossberg.

ForumRunner_20130217_145129.jpg

ForumRunner_20130217_145145.jpg

3. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

cygersty, hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the Marlin 60 first. I have
    2 rugers collecting dust,& 3 Marlin 60's & they are my favorites.:) Cliff

4. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I really like my S&W M&P 15-22. Shoots great and is not picky about what I feed it.

image-4047592130.jpg

5. Spud9

Spud9 New Member

Depending your how deep your pockets are..... here are my choices in order

Marlin 60, better out of the box than the Ruger(I have 8 marlins)
    Kel Tec SU22, I cannot say enough about mine. But will cost you if you can find one. Eats all ammo....
    S&W MP22, like the kel tec...
    Winchester 190
    Mossberg 702 Plinkster

6. cgersty

cgersty New Member

My marlin 60 will shoot circles around my dad's 10/22 both rifles are stock other than some internal polishing, my Winchester 190 is pretty accurate as well and will eat anything you can feed it even under rapid fire action, hardly ever hiccups!

7. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I'm not fond of the Ruger. I know everyone else seems to love it, but I've never cared for the Ruger brand honestly. To me (and this is just to me, a personal opinion and nothing more so no need to start any fires over it) I find Ruger to be a kind of a "middle class' weapon..... I realize that they are a well known, respected brand and don't disagree with it. But over the years seeing their offerings in all firearms, I've never been impressed.

I own a S&W MP15-22 (er my wife does anyway) It is a flat out wonderful rifle. Mount a cheap red dot and it has great accuracy. This is "hers."
    [​IMG]

I also currently have a .22 for sale in a collection I'm liquidating. It's a Remington 550-1. It shoots .22 short, long, and long rifle all in the same chamber. Gives you a practical advantage when ammo gets scarce like now, where no one can seem to find .22LR but .22Shorts are still in abundance. If you are interested let me know in a PM. I believe it holds 15 rounds. Here's a couple pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Next to the Ruger 10-22! I would like to have a S@W 15-22. A few of my friends have one and I love those little rifles. They are fun to shoot, very functional, as well as very accurate. You can also add accessories on them like their bigger brothers the AR-15s.:)

9. Shoots2little

Shoots2little New Member

I just picked up a CZ 512 as I can't pry the 10/22 out of my sons hands, and wanted try something else in semi-auto. Have to say that I am happy with the purchase and so far with iron sights only it certainly out shoots me. Have put about 300 rounds through it of 4-5 cheap brands without any hiccups. I want to try some better ammo when it becomes available at non-centerfire prices again, but so far super happy with it out to 50 yards. Hope to get out and shoot some steel at 100+ in the next week or two.

Really easy to clean and take down. Nice weight to it and decent wood on it. Comfortable for a regular adult to shoot.

10. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Just a little update. That Remington 550-1 I pictured above sold today for $350.

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

A lot of folks are mentioning rifles that cost MORE THAN a 10/22.

How much do you have to spend? A new 10/22 can be got for $275. Used are hard to find because nobody gets rid of them.

12. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

you lost me at "besides a Ruger 10/22...." I don't even know what that means. I guess my next favorite is my Nylon 66. Theyre still around and are great shooters.

Attached Files:

13. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

Marlin 795. Mine shoots awesome. I just wish they had more after market accessories.

14. Proagie

Proagie New Member

A lot of folks are mentioning rifles that cost MORE THAN a 10/22.

How much do you have to spend? A new 10/22 can be got for $275. Used are hard to find because nobody gets rid of them.

I would not want to spend much more than about $500, as I am on a budget. I guess I should have phrased the question as the top 5 choices that are equivalent in price and quality. What would your suggestions be?

15. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

OK based on that, I'd STILL get the 10/22 lol. You would have money left over for optics, and the 10/22 has more aftermarket accessories than all other .22lr's combined.

In my opinion, Ruger has everyone else's tail kicked when it come to this caliber. Rifles and pistols both. Nobody is close IMHO

16. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

I have to agree with Marlin 60. I have a Marlin mo.60 SB(stainless micro groove barrel) and it is a tack driver Real simple to field strip and clean. It will eat any brand of ammo you feed it. Tubular mag. that holds 14 rnds.

17. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

I'd say a Marlin 60. I don't own one, but i've shot one and they are nice guns and accurate too.

18. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Low end good gun marlin 60 high end Browning

Attached Files:

19. Proagie

Proagie New Member

As I explained in the initial post, I am having a very hard time locating the Ruger 10/22, If I come across one, then it would be my first choice, but I was looking for advice on something else I can get if I am absolutely unable to locate one.

20. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

.22's are a hot commodity right now. I sold a Remington 550-1 today that was built in 1967 for $350 with an optic. I have an Interarms .22 ATD for sale and I am meeting someone tomorrow about it. I listed it for $275 and the potential buyer has agreed to pay asking price as long as it is as I described it. The 10/22 is high as hell right now as well, I see the basic ones selling for $350 or more second hand. I have seen a couple Marlin 60's in the $175 range though. Where are you located? That kinda determines whats available and how much they run.