Bersa Thunder?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by GunsGodAndCountry, Nov 1, 2013.

1. GunsGodAndCountry

GunsGodAndCountry New Member

I'm seeing a lot of you guys recommending the bersa Thunder in .380 but I've gotta say, we have the thunder in .22 and its just about the least reliable gun we have. I realize we are mostly running cheap bulk ammo through it but even the first magazine after a cleaning is unlikely to make it through without a failure. What gives? Is the .380 better? I mean, I'd hope so given all the recommendations that some of you are throwing out for it.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The .380- round is usually a better feeder than the .22 LR because of the lack of a rim. One reason that people often recommend against the .22 as a defensive round in an autoloader, is just the fact that the .22LR is more likely to have jams than most centerfire rounds. I've shot a couple of Bersa .380s that friends bought. Both were reliable with ball and the hollow points that my friends had selected. I have never shot one in .22 though so I can't really comment on relaibility of the gun in that chambering from any first hand experience.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

3. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Don't confuse the 22lr bersa with the 380 thunder. I have two 380 thunders and a 45 uc pro bersa. None of these guns have ever failed to fire. They were all bought years apart, so it's not like I lucked out on a good "batch". They are accurate, dependable and an excellent value for the cost. good luck

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm glad the big-boy calibers seem to work well.

Would hate to trust my life to a gun that isn't reliable.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

A brother has the 22 model. His is about worthless with most ammo. It shoots CCI minimags but still has a jam fairly often.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got the thunder in 380 and 22lr. the 380 is totally reliable. my 22lr functions with everything except the 22lr in the 36grain weight. my ruger 22/45 also fails to cycle with 36grn ammo. those bullets are just too light.

most handguns require 40grain high velocity 22lr ammo as there isnt a lot of running room in those short barrels.

7. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

My wife carries a bt380 and I carry a uc 9mm. Never had a problem with either gun. She had one problem with Tula ammo but it was the ammo not the gun.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

The bersa thunder .380 I had never missed a beat; I only got to run a few different kinds of ammo through it before it went to live with my sister, but it fed all of them well.

I have not tried their .22LR version, but I would expect the ammo to be the biggest part of the problem.

Have you considered their warranty; maybe they can tune yours up or something (new springs?)?

http://www.bersa.com/warranty

BERSA LIFETIME SERVICE CONTRACT

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I've never had an issue out of mine, I love it.

10. GunsGodAndCountry

We sent it in once but it isn't any better now than it was before.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I guess I would have to try different ammo until I found a brand & weight that was reliable.

Others may disagree, but I look at .22LR as squirrel-killing or target-plinking ammo, nothing more. I love it for the cheap plinking fodder, but I wouldn't count on it for defensive use unless I had nothing else.

12. GunsGodAndCountry

Its meant to be a fun gun to take to the range, its just a little frustrating.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Try to think of it as "stoppage training". On the range, it doesn't reeeeeeally matter if you have to stop, tap, rack, and resume.

Honestly, the next .22LR I buy will be a revolver, to avoid the potential auto-feeding issues.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had the 380. It was very dependable. But I like something bigger. I still have their 45. Both were totally dependable.

15. GunsGodAndCountry

Its an awful lot of stoppage training lol

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

22's are a little funny how they want to work. You can have three of the same pistol in front of you and all three can like a different flavor of ammo. 22 semi autos have mostly been known as finicky and that has always kept me from using one as a SD pistol.
    It's this reason I refuse to look at the performance of a 22 as an example of how a gun maker performs.

As a less expensive 380 goes the Bersa is a pretty good pistol. There are better out there but you are going to pay accordingly. I will strongly advise though that lokingot come in as cheap as possible is the wrong way to think when looking at a personal defense pistol. People should get the best they can and still justify the cost.
    The Bersa pistols do many times require a break in period t get them to going 100% but this is not a stead fast rule. The ones I've had did need a little time to get into a groove and fire at 155%. But I have seen them come right tout of the box and after cleaning that factory oil spill out of them they did great with no failures at all. Usually I will tell friends to expect to have to put 50-100 rounds through them before the little buggers calm down. Then if it's not the case you are just that much happier.

My biggest beef with the 380 in general is cost of the ammo. I just feel it's better for me anyway to get a 9mm. But everyone has their choices and that's why we have SO MANY to choose from today :)

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

two bersa thunder CC 380 models in the family Both very reliable. Want issues buy the walther for 2 1/2 times as much. Feed your 22 version quality ammo and do a little polishing on the feed ramp and chamber a see a big difference. Can't expect a small 22 to be to good at its best regardless of make but you can make it very close to reliable. .

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

the thunder isn't really a compact pistol. It is very heavy compared to most 380 pistols. It's reliable but there are are a lot of reliable 9mm pistols that are the same size. People that are recoil sensitive might like the thunder for a range gun. Once the adrenaline starts flowing in a SD situation you won't notice the recoil of a larger caliber. My ears ring like crazy if I shoot a deer rifle without hearing protection. When I actually shoot a deer my ears don't ring. My body isn't releasing nearly the amount of adrenaline when hunting that it would in a life or death situation.

19. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

Have you checked your magazines?Try only loading 7 or 8 rounds and see how that works.Maybe the spring is binding or the follower is catching somewhere.Sometimes the rounds get all decaboblated in the magazine.Yeah,sometimes 22.LR in semi-autos can be a pain in the a**.My Mossberg 715T tactical 22 gave me hell until I took apart the 25 round magazines and tweaked them a bit.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Bersa Thunder 380 is a nice compact pistol. my wife has one and loves shooting it. so far it's been very reliable and a pretty decent little pistol. even loaded it's not heavy, even with it being a steel framed pistol. the only drawback is the stiff recoil spring.