Bersa thunder 9 uc

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by dirty393, Jan 7, 2012.

1. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

I was looking into getting bersa or another compatible pistol within a reasonable price range, any thoughts or suggestions?

2. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

3. gollygee

gollygee New Member

The UC & HC 9mm Bersas are getting the rep of being their best pistol. Break-in usually consists of clean, lube & load. Not ammo picky, no cycling issues & accurate. As with most Bersas, the finish is not the prettiest, but it has improved from about 2 years ago. They'd changed the preservative they packed them in & it affected the finishes on 9mm, .40S&W & .45ACP.

4. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

That's what I have been reading, I have only held the uc and hc thunders, but have shot the 380 and it's was fairly accurate and I heard nothing but good things from people who have them..but them only thing is I would like to put rubber grips on it. Does anybody know if you can change the grips?

5. DallasShooter

DallasShooter New Member

The 380 is a very different pistol. I have the BT 9 HC and I think the 380 recoil is about the same as the BT9 and the BT 9 is more accurate. I don't know about other grips, but if you post a note over at www.bersachat.com somebody will know if there are third party suppliers of grips. I've liked the standard grips that came with the pistol so never looked. It is one heck of a gun and you can't go wrong with it IMHO.

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Ive got a bersa thunder .380 and i love it, small and very easy to conceal. Great small pistol for 225 bucks

Attached Files:

7. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

Cool, I think on Monday I might browse the gun shop. Any other similar pistol recommendations?

8. Bagger

Bagger New Member

I like the Bersa 380s a great deal. I have several. The Firestorm 380 is made by the same folks, but is a bit less 'edgy' IMO. Sights are better on the F/S ... and the trigger guard is rounded. Not the same on the Bersa.

Both are great little CC pistols and I would not hesitate to recommend either.

The Bersa 9C is great, too. Loads of capacity, less concealability than the 380s of course, but a nice gun. Heavy, tho. I have one of those as well.

I prefer the S/W M&P 9C for daily carry vs the Bersa 9C. S/W is a bit larger, but doesn't seem as heavy. Tho, I don't have the weights at hand.

Go buy a Bersa/Firestorm. You'll be happy with the gun.

9. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

Well I didn't get anything when I went because the shop wanted close to 500 for the bersa thunder 9 uc, so I decided to hold off and but id much rather have the thunder 380 but I want a 9mm, why cant they make the 380 in 9mm, o well iv been thinking about a revolver! But I don't know a thing about them.

10. Bagger

Bagger New Member

Yeah, I don't know why they price the gun so high. Can't remember what I paid last year, but was hard to find (limited production?) and a bit pricey.

I know this is a Bersa M/B, but S/W Sigma 9 runs $269 and the Ruger SR9 and 9C both are around $400 at a large gun shop here in CT.

Also, check Cabelas, or other store, for a good used 9C.

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

They are awful high! Should be able to get one for around $400! Even Davidon's, if they have them, will be cheaper than that, probably about $450 including freight & tax!

12. DallasShooter

DallasShooter New Member

The Bersa 380 and the Bersa 9 UC/HC are completely different designs. The 380 is a "blow-back" design in which the barrel is fixed to the frame - the barrel doesn't move. This kind of design won't support much larger than a .380 and I don't think you will find any of this design in a 9mm. The Bersa 9 is a short recoil design in which the barrel is lowered during recoil to allow feeding the next cartridge.

The bersa 9 UC isn't much larger than the BT 380 although the style is different.

I have a BT380 and BT9HC and love both, but the field stripping and reassembly is much easier on the BT 9 although the 380 isn't bad.

Bud's has several BT 9's for sale at under $400 with free shipping to your local gun shop....and they have the 380 models in stock also.

13. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Like DallasShooter says, the blow back design prevents making it in 9mm without greatly increasing the size/weight of the slide to handle the recoil.
    An example is the Hi-Point 9mm & .45ACP which are the blow-back design.

14. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

Well never mind, that's doesn't sound good at all.

15. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Ive owned the thunder 9 UC and the thunder 9 hc. Fantastic economic handguns. I shot over 1500rnds through the hc and around 1000 in the uc and i never had a single malfunction. accuracy is on par with a glock or xd imo. as stated before the only thing that the bersas lack is a good slide finish. Functional as hell tho.

16. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

Is that the reason for that funky finish?....I have a new slide and it's perfect.

Did anyone mention the great trigger? Best trigger of all of the DA/SA guns I own.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  17. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

What finish did you get? I was looking for a matte stainless.

18. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

Matte black....the original slide was terrible and completely 2nd rate, then was damaged quickly, the new slide under warranty is flawless.

19. gollygee

gollygee New Member

The finish problems I referred to were mostly with the black matte slides & was a matter of a splotchy, very uneven finish. I believe they were 2009 or maybe 2010 vintage. All of my Bersas are black & were the normal dull black finish, one of them being bought after the above finish problem was fixed.

20. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

Yup, I had one then. I bought mine in January of 2011.