Bersa guns are too often overlooked

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by cluznar, Jul 31, 2013.

1. cluznar

cluznar New Member

I have owned quite a few handguns over the years. But my two favorites are the ones I own now. A Bersa Thunder .380 and a Thunder .32 both of which I carry at different times.

These guns are dependable, accurate and easily concealable. They are easy to break down and clean. Another nice thing is that I can use the same holsters for both guns. There are lasers available for them and also some excellent custom wood grips from Marschalgrips.com which I have on the .380 and they look great and give me a comfortable grip while shooting.

Bersa also makes guns in .22, 9mm, .40 and .45

Do check them out sometime, because they also come at affordable prices.

2. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I agree with you 100%. I have 3 Bersas and they are all great guns. I have seen many posts from people asking what is a good handgun to buy and I always recommend Bersa. The majority of the time the post is ignored. No one says anything bad about them, but they aren't "sexy" enough. The name isn't big enough. If it's not some more expensive gun, then people will not give them much consideration. I'll keep spreading the word about them and I hope you do too. good luck

3. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

My Thunder 380 is my carry gun and I trust it. My Thunder 22 is fun for target shooting.

4. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Bersa was started in the 50s by three Italian engineers that got their training at Beretta in Italy. They built guns for the Argentine Military under contract for years. They are well-designed, well-built guns that have old-World quality. There biggest problem is that they don't change their designs for the newer, sexier market and experiment with new technologies while releasing a new model every year. That is also the reason there prices are still a couple of decades behind as well.

For a tough, reliable old-school firearm inspired by Beretta for a good price, Bersa really can't be beat.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I was going to buy a Bersa Pro pistol. I ended up with a Ruger P95. Even the 380 thunder is a pretty large pistol compared to other offerings on the market. I was interested in a Thunder Pro. It weighs more than a P95 and finding accessories for it are a PITA. The P95 is a good shooting gun. It is my favorite IDPA pistol and there is a mind boggling number of holsters for it. I can find magazines for it. Even, right now, I can find Mec Gar magazines for the P95 from 10 shots to 32 shots.

I am not saying the Bersa is a bad pistol. I sure wouldn't feel outgunned if I had to defend myself with a Bersa. I just prefer a 9mm in a full size gun. Compared to a LCP or a P-3AT the Bersa is a tank. My Kel Tec P11 is lighter than a Thunder 380.

The Bersa line of pistols are great price point pistols but for some reason they just don't catch on. It's not the design. The 1911 hasn't had many updates since 1911. It's not the lack of a new model. Bersa just doesn't market the pistol as well as other gun makers.

6. cluznar

cluznar New Member

That is true, Bersa does not do much marketing. They let people who buy Bersa guns spread the word. It must work or Bersa would not be in business. I believe the Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm is one excellent full size gun. As for the size of the Bersa Thunder .380 it is a Walther PPK clone.
    Thin and easy to conceal in a shoulder holster or IWB holster. I don't consider the Thunder .380 as large, it weighs 20 ounces and is larger than the LCP but it is thin and conceals well, to me it gives you the feel of a real gun in your hand while not being too large. Some people say the Bersa is not a sexy gun, well neither is the Ruger P95. But the Bersa like the P95 is very reliable and accurate. I like that the Bersa guns except for the BP9cc are all metal guns. Poly guns are not bad but I like a metal gun with nice wood grips.
    For people who desire flash looking guns I guess Bersa is to boring. But I see nothing wrong with the way they look, and they are made well. Plus the price is very reasonable. A great combination. All I know is that when I pull the trigger they always go bang and like I say with custom wood grips they look pretty nice too. If you insist on spending a lot of money for a certain look to a gun or a well-known name, fine, but if you simply want a good dependable, accurate gun that will defend you, look at the Bersa guns.

7. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Yelp. I find that while Bersa may not be the lightest, compared to the Polymer Guns of Today, and I myself like some heft in my hand, they are built with quality and don't tear up your Hand with the recoil. My Wife likes the Thunder DLX 380 I got her.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Bersas are pretty high on my list of guns I recommend to people on a budget in search of a reliable pistol.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

I own a Bersa Thunder 22. We've put around 2500 or so rounds through it. We had to replace the extractor recently, but it was covered under warranty.

I've found that, like a lot of other 22 semis, it likes certain types of ammo better.

The only thing I don't like about the gun anymore is the angle it naturally points at when I extend it in my hand. I find myself having to raise the barrel slightly, from my natural stance, in order to get proper sight picture. I only noticed it recently because my M&P feels so amazing in my hand. But really, that's not a big deal. I can deal with it since its a 22 and just for plinking purposes.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I have the Bersa Thunder 9 UCP. It is semi-compact 9mm with a 13+1 capacity; I love it. There is a full-sized Thunder 9; take a look at it; it is used by the some military in South America.

One day, I will pick up another Bersa Thunder380; my sister has my previous one. It is a great pistol.

I haven't had need of the internal lock, but I can see how person with kids could find it helpful.

11. cluznar

cluznar New Member

The Bersa Thunder .380 is really a popular gun. I know a half dozen people who have them and 4 of those carry it. I run into people who tell me they loved the Thunder .380 and wish they had never given it to a relative or friend. For some reason, some people even though they like the Bersa .380, they give it away or sell it. Then they start to miss it and wish they had kept it. I'm not getting rid of mine, it's a very good gun.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I hear you, but when you sister asks you to help her clean the candy (literally) from her purse/car pistol for the second or third time, and the pitiful little .25acp looks like it wouldn't be fit to put down a fish out of water, well then you gotta give up whatever she will use. That flat nickel finish is just too much for some womenfolks to resist.

:D

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

They are well worth taking a look at. I took a look at this and it followed me home :cool:

Attached Files:

14. txpossum

txpossum New Member

It has been a number of years -- at least 10 -- since I took a close look at a .380 Bersa. At the time I found the fit and finish to be second rate, the trigger pull long and heavy, and not very accurate. Their main attraction was that they weren't BAD guns, as compared to, say, Jennings or Bryco, and they were fairly cheap. I also didn't hear many complaints about reliability.

Has Bersa quality improved in the last few years, or am I being too critical? Also, remember that I was using makes like Walther and Beretta .380's as my standard for comparison, which were selling for two or three times the price of the Bersa. But, seriously, is it a good gun, or a good gun for the money?

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

My wife and one of my daughters carry a bersa 380 CC as part of there rotation. Great pistols but over all bersa doe not offee much that is not covered as well or better by others . Atleast I know they are not picky pistols or trouble prone as with a certain name that looks purdier and cost twice as much.

16. cluznar

cluznar New Member

txpossum Bersa is still not the most perfect fit and finish, but it is pretty good. As for the trigger pull I see no problem, the double action is a little heavy but then so are many revolvers. The single action is about 3 1/2 or 4 lbs and very smooth. No longer are they just not bad guns, they are really good dependable, accurate guns. It is a good gun at a reasonable price. I have both the Bersa Thunder .380 and also a Thunder .32 and use them for carry. They shoot well are dependable and accurate. I recommend Bersa to a lot of people. Sure a Walther has better fit and finish, but if you shot a Walther .380 and a Bersa .380 you might find the Bersa is better than you thought. And you can get lasers foe Bersa guns and some will fit a flashlight also.
    Plus you can get some really sharp custom wood grips for them. I have confidence when I carry either Bersa that it will go bang when I need it.

17. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter New Member

I carry my Thunder .380 daily.;)

18. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I bought the wife a Ruger LCP which was too light for her and the recoil was very uncomfortable to her due to the small grip frame,, she traded it for a Bersa .380 and does not regret it one bit,, it is heftier with more to hold on to and she can actually hit well with it at defensive ranges and the trigger pull is better than the LCP to both of us. It has been reliable and it was a good bargain, fit and finish are no Nighthawk, but very serviceable in my opinion,,, no ,, I'll never trade my Nighthawk for any make or model.

19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Anyone that complanes about the DA/SA trigger in a bersa has not fired a sig with a DA/SA trigger and at that cost its just fine, people don't complain.