Bersa .380 or Makarov or CZ82 ?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by orangello, Jan 18, 2011.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm planning to get a smaller pistol for carry. I haven't gotten my permit yet, but am not sure i will be needing one (MS = legal to carry in car w/o permit). I will also be looking for a pistol my sister can test drive as a potential replacement for her purse/dash titan .25 (gag).

I have wanted a CZ-82 for some time, but i'm not 100% as to why. I have heard they can be a lil heavy for pocket carry. I have read that the Makarov PM is basically a simpler predecessor to the CZ-82 with a bit easier take down but few other differences. I have read good things about the Bersa pistols in .380, but i don't know too much about the differences between those models. It is my understanding that Bersa has a single stack and a double stack model and an odd-looking model made just for carry.

I'm not looking for appreciation in value or collectability. I am just looking for the most dependable pocket pistol in the .380 range and with a metal frame. I am not considering a polymer pocket pistol at this point. "Bank for the buck"-type quality is probably the biggest factor in the decision. I will also be cruising the pawn shops for alternatives.

I am still looking for a well-priced CZ52, but that wouldn't be my choice for pocket carry.

Any suggestions re: penny-pincher pocket pistols, preferably in .380?

Thanks

Suggestions on where to purchase are also welcome. I do know a transfer-friendly local little gun shop.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Gello, I've had a couple of metal framed .380s including the Bersa, an NAA Guardian, a Sig P238, and Walther PPK & PPK/S. I still own the PPK and the Sig P238. The Bersa is a good reliable gun and the only real drawback is that mags are pricey. It's hard to call the Sig P238 a "budget" gun - but you get what you pay for. My old blued Walther is just so high on the cool scale...

[​IMG]

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I've had a Bersa Thunder 380 and I thought it was a great pistol. I've also had two CZ82's and they are excellent pistols, but they are definitely heavy for pocket carry. Of the two, the Bersa would be the better one for a pocket pistol.

I like the 9x18 Mak round for more oomph and Buffalo Bore makes an FMJ and a hollow point, both in +P.

The CZ grip is wider as well, but it will hold 12 + 1.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I second the bersa. I've got the single and double stack versions. My wife loves the single. Its a smooth shooting very reliable pistol. I didn't go with the cz82 because I couldn't determine if it had a decock or not.

For such a light pistol the bersa shoots like it weighs twice as much.

5. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I think the Bersa is great once you polish the feed ramp with a Dremel tool and swap out the grips. The plastic panels feel a little chintsy. But it's an accurate, dependable little pistol. I don't have any experience with the other two for comparison unfortunately.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

* Gibbs Head Slap *

For using the word Dremel in a gun post...

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

My thunder plus came with wrap around rubber grips, they feel like hogues. I would put the plastic panels on the regular thunder in the same quality level as the ones you find on sigs. They aren't any cheaper ghan any other injection molded grip panels.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

"Bank for the buck"-type = Makarov IMO
    It can be had in 380 but why would you want one when the 9x18 is more potent & about half the price :cool:

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

"Bank for the buck"-type = Makarov IMO
    It can be had in 380 but why would you want one when the 9x18 is more potent & about half the price :cool:

[​IMG]

10. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Ah come on, variable speed, you can set the to about 100 RPM and with a cotton round tip, covered in jewelers rouge. Would I do that on a 1000.00+ 1911, no. Would I do that carefully on a 300.00 Bersa Thunder .380, yes. Done it before, came out perfect. Just have to use caution as with any other action when it comes to modifying your own firearm.

11. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

The CZ 82/83 series have a manual safety similar to the CZ 75B that is only applied with the hammer back, but instead of the firing pin block safety used on the 75B the 82/83 have a hammer block "automatic safety" and a rebounding hammer. I don't believe the 82/83 was ever offered in a de-cocker.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats what i figured. its why i didnt get one. im just not comfy with a non-decocking pocket gun or one with a internal striker. the bersa and walther ppks were the only comfy small 380's that had the mag drop button slide release and safety in the correct spots. i had ppks in the past and the triggers are pretty much poop. the nod went to bersa over the ppk/s mainly due to the trigger being substantially better on the bersa. it just amazes me that a gun as pricey as ppk/s have such poor triggers.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I would'nt be without mine :cool:

14. wktipton

wktipton New Member

Bersa .380

Got a thunder .380. It has taken every kind of round that I've ever put through it,, with no mis-feeds or malfunctions. If you are gonna use it for self-defense, the range will usually be less than 7 yards, anyway, and with a 9-round mag (available) and one in the chamber, there are 10 chances to put him down. At 7 yards, 2 - 3 in the chest should discourage him pretty well. After all, unless he is souped up on drugs, a man is an easy kill compared to a game animal, such as a deer.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have the Bersa Thunder Concealed. It has an 8 round mag. Great gun. I had a Makarov. It was ok. But I am a lefty. Didn't feel like looking for grips.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I picked up the standard, single-stack Bersa Thunder .380 on the way to work. I love the bright ORANGE dots on these sights! I like it, but would have liked to compare to the double-stack model, size-wise. I won't get to shoot it until this weekend at best.

On an even better note, the guy at the shop indicated that he would be happy to order me a CZ82 from CDNN. I will compare the two, and may give the less-favored to my sister to replace her anemic old .25acp purse/glovebox pistol.

Now to find the 9 round mags for this lil flat nickel booger. :D

edit* If anybody has suggestions for sources of the 9 round mags, wood grips, or pocket/IWB holsters, feel FREE to post up. Thanks. I did see the 9 round mags at midwayusa for about $39.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  17. JonM

JonM Moderator

39$ is the going rate.

i think you woulda loved the 15 rounder its pretty damn sweet.

18. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

The grip on the CZ82 and the Hi-Cap Bersa 380 feel much closer to a full size pistol than they do a compact 380. One of the reasons I chose to purchase the 82 in December. I've shot the Hi-Cap Bersa 380 and their 9mm a few times and both were good shooting accurate pistols.

Bersa 9-round from Bersa/Eagle.

Bersa 9-round from Cals Sporting Armory. (best price, out of stock right now)

Bersa 9-round from Condors Flight.

The grips here have received great reviews on several forums and I'm considering a set for my CZ82 since Hogue doesn't make their rubber finger groove grips for the 82/83 series pistol.

Marschalgrips.com

http://www.marschalgrips.com/bersa/bersa.html

This set is extended to match the extended magazines.

Bersa carries some as well. They even have Crimson Trace if you want to go with a laser grip.

Some Bersa holsters at The Holster Store, there are a few on Bersa's site as well and I've seen some good prices on e-Bay and Amazon.

The Holster Store | Bersa Holsters

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Attached Files:

20. orangello

orangello New Member

SWEET! Thanks guys. Saturday AM, i will finally be getting the Bersa to bark for me.