Berky water filters

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by tenntyrant, Jan 30, 2012.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Are these good to get and if so which one would be the one to get and which filters?

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Great!

They are great. Probably best on market IMO. I trust my life to them.

Small needs and possibly bugging out? Travel Berkey (small, stacks into itself) and the White filters are tougher for travel. I think the Black filters are a LITTLE better but you're covered either way. The filters are the heart of the system. The Travel is my emergency prep item (with spare sets of filters to last a lifetime -- also a few pounds of Shock on hand). I have their steel spigot and keep the standard plastic they come with as backup because I think it it a physical weakpoint.

Bugging in or daily use? The Berkey Light (plastic) is a good buy I bought for people when they were a little less expensive (price really went up on all over past couple of years) and you can "make" water as fast as you'd like with their current four-filter capable Light (it used to be only two filter capable which I thought was adequate for most uses but you may have high use requirements). And with the LED light they are just pretty -- like a piece of mood-lighting art in the kitchen! Personally, I use a stupid Brita filter for day-to-day drinking water now -- lol -- do NOT rely on Brita's for much of anything when it really counts/water is questionable.

The steel Berkeys are professional, tough, stuff.

Oh, the additional sets of filters, the Fluoride-etc. ones, do not last nearly as many thousands of gallons as the core Black and White ones. I have them too, including backup sets, but don't plan to use them unless there really are the worst of circumstances blowing our way.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

3. bkt

bkt New Member

I bought a Big Berkey a while back that came with a deal - buy the BB, get two filters (regular) and two personal Berkey water bottles with built-in filters.

Berkey seems to be among the best - you're not likely to go wrong with one.

4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

First I've heard of them... been looking for a water filter to use in the house for drinking water (city water). I'm just looking to get rid of the chlorine and flouride.

5. bkt

bkt New Member

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

But, to be clear (no play on words intended) only with the lower tank PF-2 filters...

7. Strike_Hard_Gear

Strike_Hard_Gear New Member

Berkey in the house

That's what we've been doing for a few years now. As mentioned you need the extra filters to remove flouride but the main filters will remove the clorine.
    Our kids noticed the difference right away and now refuse to drink the tap water.

We went with the blue containers so you can see through them and watch the water level. I've also seen youtube vids on making your own with plastic buckets. Thats a plan B if you need to bug-out and can't make space for the containers.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Might like to see this...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ_M4rYLnow&feature=related[/ame]