Berger vld hunting bullets.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by elk-acholic, Nov 28, 2011.

1. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

My hat is off to Berger bullets. I started shooting Berger vld hunting bullets in my .270 win. Even though I didn't load for max velocity or best bullet for long range, I can't believe the destruction of these bullets. I shot both my whitetail and my elk this year at a little farther than 500 yards. I couldn't get closer without the animal spoking, and I knew that I could put the bullet where I wanted at that range. Hard to believe on my whitetail which was quartering away still got a pass through shot with bullet fragmentation completely destroying the vitals. My elk just unbelief damage to drop it in is tracks.

2. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

That's what I've heard. I loaded up some for my 30-06 but was not able to get a decent shot on elk this year. I had one around 500 yards but I leave those to you professional sniper guys.

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I use berger vld in my 338 an only berger vld in it. Its like throwin a vw beetle at an elk at 3000 fps

4. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I like to hear these statements. I'm gonna load some of these for my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero after the first of the year. I might have to try some of these in my 270 too.

5. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

I had to mess around with the seating and powder quite a bit. I just about gave up on em until the bright idea of going with norm COAL hit me. Once you find the sweet spot...it's on.

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I shoot a lot of Berger VLD bullets in .257 and .308 calibers.They are great bullets!

7. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

How do you like your Sendero?

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I was with a friend a few weeks ago who dropped his elk at 250 yards using a Berger 140-grain bullet that he had loaded for his .280. The elk dropped to his knees instantly. That bullet really did it's job.

I haven't shot any through my rifles, I've been a Nosler and Sierra guy, but I'm definitely going to give Berger a try.

9. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

To be honest, I haven't shot it a ton yet. I bought it a week before deer season, it took me 8 shots to sight it in without a bore sight. Then I shot 2 deer in 2 shots within 15-20 seconds of each other. I have a 6-24x Vortex Crossfire on it(will upgrade someday, although a great scope for the money), and a Harris Bipod. The little I have shot it to this point, it's awesmoe. It is a heavier gun though, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Absorbs a lot of recoil, probably has almost less kick than my 270 because of it. I really like it. I would like to get a good load with 168gr VLD's and work on a little long range stuff. I don't mean extreme long range but if I were descent to 700yds, I'd be pleased.

10. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

Ok sweet. I was looking into getting one in a .264 win mag but found out that the barrel life isn't very good on the 6.5 cal so maybe look at a 7mm but a friend of mine had one and he said it felt funny in the prone position. So now I don't really know what to think. I would like to shoot one. I too looking at long range but not so much for hunting but just as a hobby. Looking at everything though.

11. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I don't know how new your friends sendero is, but this one has a little different swell in the handle so that it is more fitted for prone. I think it feels great. I'm sure it's all personal preference though.

I guess if you were looking for a good long range gun without the custom rifle price tag, the Sendero is probably about as good as you'll find on the market. I'm pleased with it the little I've shot with some factory ammo, but I'm going to load some stuff up and see what I come up with.