Berg 500 tactical conversion

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by capstone, Sep 15, 2011.

1. capstone

capstone New Member

I picked up a Very clean and hardly used Mossberg 500 pump in a trade the other day. I have plenty of shotguns to play around with in the field, so I'm thinking about turning this one into a tactical model. Any suggestions on where to start with a good kit? Any folks on here ever tried the same project? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated

2. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

this was the first step in my 500 conversion... very nice package easy to install and give you some steel iron sights.

MOSSBERG 500 HIGH CAPACITY SHOTGUN KIT - Brownells

ive restocked it and put on a hogue forearm as well picatinny rail on top... between brownells and amazon for all parts.

good luck

3. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 New Member

Nice setup sgttess! How easy is it to go from one length barrel to another? Is is something you could do a few times a year, or more like something you would do one time and leave it?

4. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

removing the magazine tube isnt very hard, i did it all by hand without tools, i could reconfigure it to the original tube and use in less than five minutes. a great purchase, very happy with the quality and ease of operation.

5. dhyayi

dhyayi New Member

Nice setup sgttess!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I converted my old Mossberg 500 Turkey gun to HD duty a few years ago with great success. All I really needed to do was get a replacement 18 1/2" barrel for it and in about 5-minutes it was converted. The gun came from the factory with a camo. paint job, so I added some paint to the new short barrel to match and it was good-to-go. It has one-shot less capacity than my factory Remington 870 Tactical that came with a +2 extension on it, but that's not really a big deal to me.

Attached Files:

7. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

picture

view here of the almost finished product so others on this thread can see the fruits of my labor. questions about parts? let me know

Attached Files:

8. AOK

AOK New Member

Great looking 500! If that is your home defense shotgun do you keep the sling on it all the time?

9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Thx, I also installed a fiber optic bead on the front of the new 18 1/2" barrel. It's a very naturally pointing and easy to shoot shotgun. It has been flawless without any failures of any kind.

The sling is a holdover from when the gun gets used as a turkey gun with the long barrel. However, when the gun is on HD duty it just sits naked in the corner near the bed. (no kids). BTW, I keep one in chamber, cocked and safety on. I'm not going to count on racking the action to chamber a round being enough to scare off the threat. The only sound they will hear is a very large boom as the 00 buck goes flying. :cool:

10. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

I would consider getting a heat shield. They are only like 30 bucks and you never know when it would come in handy. I highly recommend one, i put 50 rounds of 00buck and some rifled slugs through my mossberg and immediately touched the barrel afterwards, a little warm but holdable. And **** they look class.

11. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter