beretta

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by dcp1987, Mar 6, 2009.

1. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

soo why do soo many people have a grudge/distaste for beretta guns.
    I have a beretta m9-a1 and i absolutely love it.
    its the most comfortable gun i've shot next to my 1911.
    the only gripe i have is the decockers location on the slide.
    so what do you like about berettas
    what do you not like about berettas

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

The Beretta design is a good design, but it's now dated.

To me, the sidearm is too bulky for being a 9mm. The slide mounted safety doesn't really bother me too much, so that isn't an issue.

The sidearm is about a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for me. It's serviceable, and durable, but it's nothing really special.

3. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

yeah it is kinda bulky for a 9mm.
    the only reason the slide mounted safety bothers me is that when i pull the slide back to cock the gun sometimes i hit it.

4. bajastx

bajastx New Member

I have often wondered why people have such distaste for Beretta’s myself. I have recently purchased a 9mm 90Two and I could not be happier. During my search for my new 9mm I looked at Glocks, XD’s, Sig’s, and some Taurus’s. I personally found the XD to be the most bulky/ cumbersome followed by the Glocks. Holding the XD is about like holding a 2x4, and as for the Taurus 24/7 it just felt cheap to me. I’m not the biggest fan of the polymer guns but a friend of mine has a PX4 Storm .40, and after shooting it made me double think the toy guns. After my Kimber it is by far my favorite pistol not to mention they have been manufacturing firearms for 483 years so there is no lack of experience. Maybe I just like out dated designs because I own both the Beretta and a 1911. Haha to each his own.

5. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

yeah i went through about the same thing
    glocks, smith & wesson m&ps, and springfield XD's are all too blocky for me.i decided on a 92 or a m9 (same thing) and lucked up in finding a m9-a1 for a good price

6. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I love Beretta. They make very reliable, quality firearms. There over/unders are a solid investment which hold and gain value. 92/96's are a time proven design. The new PX pistols are just as reliable with the option of double/single action. Of the many Beretta firearms I have owned the only complaint would be with the CX4 trigger(which can be fixed).

7. bajastx

bajastx New Member

I have put countless rounds thru my 90Two and I have never had one failure regardless what ammo I was using. The M9A1 is a sweet gun! I was going to get that one but my local dealer didn’t have any and he was not even sure he could get one in a reasonable amount of time, so since the 90Two had the accessory rail I got that one. Do you have a holster for you M9A1?

8. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

yeah i was looking at the standard m9 but they were going for around 550 and for 600 i could upgrade to the m9-a1 soo i thought why not. i don't have a holster yet im looking for one i like. im also thinking about doing some upgrades to it but i have no idea where to start.
    any ideas?
    i love my beretta I shoot it more than anything else. My dad is now jealous and is contemplating trading his S&W M&P in for a inox.

9. bajastx

bajastx New Member

I had a hard time finding a holster for mine but ended up getting a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard holster. It fits great and the price was right,$65. As far as upgrades the only thing I was thinking about getting was a Stream Light / LASER combo but then my holster would not work so I’ll probably just put that money toward some more ammo.

DeSantis Holster & Leather Goods

10. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

i wonder if you could find a holster that would fit around a rail mounted light/lazer. Im thinking of getting the barrel nickel plated just cause it would look cool lol probly not though. if you want a lazer i know they make a nice set of lazer grips that would still work in your holster.

11. KBlue

KBlue New Member

I've been doing a little research on Beretta as I think the Px4 Storm .40 sub-compact is going to be my next purchase. What did you think of the Storm .40 when you shot it, bajastx?

12. bajastx

bajastx New Member

I liked it a lot. The one that I shot was the compact version with the 4” barrel not the sub-compact. It was very controllable even under rapid fire. It comes with two clips and three different back straps for different hand sizes. The one that I shot had the standard back strap which fit my hand well. I have shot a Glock 23 which is pretty comparable to the PX4 and I would much prefer the Beretta, plus the PX4 holds one more round in the clip than the Glocks.

13. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Stöeger

I like the Cougar 8000, the older metal frame version of the PX4 Storm... Today Beretta still make the Cougar under the name of Stöeger Cougar, in their turkish factory.... i don't know if you in U.S. can find Stöeger firearms, but if you want a Beretta for less money go and get a Stöeger, their shotguns are superb, just like a Beretta (or Benelli) but without the price tag.

14. 741512th

741512th New Member

The 92FS is absolutely reliable (not one malfunction for me) and easy to maintain. If you're into concealed carry, it would be too big.

15. 8000F

8000F New Member

Beretta fan here. I like the 92 & the 90-Two, but my favorite is the Cougar. It just feels right to me and unlike the new 92's, my Cougars have all their parts made of metal. (except wood grips)

16. lexington

lexington Member

I had a model 91fs, bulky, overweight and terribly inaccurate, gave it to my son. My model 950 .25 to me is just a curio and sits in the safe. On the other hand, my model 70 7.65 and my wife's model 84 .380 are a total joy and not for sale at any price or trade for anything

Call it one extreme to another.

17. endobro

endobro New Member

I have a PX4 9mm compact and it is a great shooting gun. I sold my M&P 9mm so I could buy a 92FS brigadier inox.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I like Beretta quite a bit. An Italian 92FS was one of the first handguns I ever bought when I turned 21. I like the craftsmanship of that pistol, especially for the time it was made (1991). Lots of other autos were jam-o-matics. This 92 has been utterly reliable. It is accurate enough to have earned me a few trophies in pistol matches. It is pleasant to shoot.

I will say that it is a big gun for a 9mm. The slide makes it thick. The grip is fat. The double action trigger reach is long and the slide mounted safety is not super friendly. And yet I still like it. My wife's 85 is a fantastic .380, and I have a 21a that is a good little pocket gun.

I'm a pretty generous guy though, because I also like Glock, Sig 220 and 226, 1911A1s, and am liking my first M&P.

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have shot the 92 in different configurations.
    I could live with it if need be.

But I would not purchase one.
    The 92 does not offer anything that is not already covered in my battery of arms.
    My H&K PSP P7 does a better job for concealment.
    My Browning HP has a better trigger.
    My 1911 in 9mm is easier for me to maintain.

20. cc-hangfire

cc-hangfire New Member

Everyone has a different reason for owning a gun (or guns). I am slowly assembling a collection of 9mm to include the "most historically" important ones and the Beretta makes that list as the US military sidearm. It's oversized and overbuilt for the 9mm, but an easy shooter as long as your hands aren't too small.

(I have a Walther P38 for the same reason, & it suffers the same criticism plus it has the limited capacity of a single stack.)