Beretta Storm/XD 45 acp ?????

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by DrGonzo11, Sep 5, 2009.

1. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

I'm thinking about getting a polymer framed 45 to back up my 1911. I'm kind of torn between the Beretta Storm and the full frame S.A. XD. Does anyone have any experience with these guns?? Please share.

Thanks as always,
    Doc

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned both and prefer the XD. I find the full-size XD .45 kind of clunky looking and much prefer the Compact model myself. The XD .45 Compact is my truck gun and goes everywhere with me...

4. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

What makes it better than the Storm????

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Between them two, Beretta Storm and the full frame S.A. XD, I would have to choose the XD also, based on personal experience with the Beretta. The XD is easy to field strip, clean, oil. The Beretta is not quite as easy. I like the double safety feature (trigger pull safety AND palm safety) of the XD better than the thumb safety of the Beretta. Shooting wise the XD is more accurate and had less muzzle climb than the Beretta. Both are great investments. But persona preference, I would suggest the Springfield Armory XD, even the compacts, over the PX4 storm. :)

Jack

6. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

That's kind of the way I've been leaning, but the Beretta feels WAY better in my hands. I just don't wanna buy another gun like my old Ruger P944 that feels good but shoots like ****.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Maybe it's the loose nut behind the handle. :D

I don't like the Storm line from Beretta, but that is personal preference. They shoot fine, I just don't personally like them.

The XD is a very good improvement over the disaster that is The Ghey, and it's a good shooting weapon. It's not my first choice, but I would choose it over the Storm line....

JD

8. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

That could be too!! :) But I have no problem with my other handguns.

My favorite is my Steyr M9-A1 and if they made it in 45ACP I wouldn't be asking this question. :)

JD- What would your first choice be then??

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

For a back up, easy to carry, easy to conceal handgun?

4.25" 1911 in .45 ACP.

Commander sized frame, fits my hands better, slim line grips, on a single stack platform, 7+1 rounds of 230gr manstoppers. If you get an aluminum frame, you are looking at, what, about 28 or 30 ounces?

I just don't ever see myself getting into a day to day situation were 7+1 and a couple of spare mags WOULDN'T be enough to get me out of danger. I don't need to slay an entire Los Zetas hit squad ( yet ) and by the time I empty my frist mag, I plan on being on the move...

JD

10. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

See, I'm trying to diversify, I just got the 5" 1911, I don't want another one....YET! I want a higher capacity polymer gun to supplement my 1911. I guess that's the word I should have used, "supplement" NOT "Back Up". :)

11. russ

russ New Member

Doc, is there a reason the M&P45 is not up for consideration?

12. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

No reason. Just don't know much about them, I have never owned a S&W Semi-auto before.

13. russ

russ New Member

When I was shopping for a carry gun, I looked at the XD, Glock, M&P, and Kahr. I really liked the fit and finish of the M&P over the XD - the Glock just didn't fit my hand or feel good and the Kahr was $$$. So far, my M&P is flawless, even on cheap Blazer ammo. Just another option to consider.:D

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah, I kind of understand that, but personally, if you like the 5" - then what is the drive to add a completely different platform?

Are we talking a different caliber? Because I think that is a horrible idea. But to each their own. You did say you want another .45, so why change platforms?

Are we talking a need for a higher capacity weapon that makes you "feel" safer? What kind of higher capacity are we talking about? 10 rounds? 14 rounds? 30 rounds?

I mean, get yourself an AR "pistol", with a shoulder rig, and plan on wearing a groin length jacket when you go out - then you have all the "supplemental" firepower you could possibly want.

What is the ideal, end goal of what you are trying to achieve??

15. russ

russ New Member

You could always just buy some 10rd. mags for the 1911 and pretend it's poly.:p

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I have greatly enjoyed my XD45 tactical model. It has not failed to fire yet and seems to be pretty accurate (as much as it could be in my unpracticed hands). It takes down easily and fits my hand very comfortably. I would not hesitate to recommend it to any of my friends looking for a large caliber pistol. I doubt it has anywhere near the customization options available to a 1911, so if you want to work on your new gun, this might not be the best one.

17. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

No, I don't want another caliber, I just dumped all my 40 S&W ammo and I want out of it for good. The only Semi-auto caliber I want are 9mm and 45 ACP. Higher Capacity would be plus, but it would mostly be about owning an experiencing a different weapon. But at the same time I would like to avoid buying another POS like my Ruger was. I've also been looking into Sig's but they're a little higher in price.

Not a big fan of those Goofy AR pistols.......Even if I had buckets of money I wouldn't own one of those things.

18. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I tried out a Beretta PX4 Storm when looking for a polymer pistol, and although it felt comfortable in my hand I ended up going with an M&P. Its just as comfortable and is easier to field strip and clean. It's also easier to conceal, the Beretta is a bit bulkier.

I'm not a big fan of DA/SA pistols, I prefer either single action pistols or striker fired ones since both offer a consistent trigger pull on all shots.

I'm not sure how much of an advantage, if any, the rotating barrel is.

If what you're looking for is a high capacity .45, you ought to take a look at ParaOrdnance pistols. You can get either a single action 1911 or one of their LDA ("light double action") pistols. The full size models have a 14+1 capacity...

19. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

I vote XD45, mine has been perfect! :)