Beretta PX4 Storm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by cadkins, Dec 15, 2011.

1. cadkins

cadkins New Member

Is the Storm any good? I'm thinking about getting either the Storm, or the Beretta 92A1 after a trip to the local gun store today.

They both felt great, but idk much about the reliability o the Storm, or anything about its reputation. Whereas, I've only heard good things about the 92.

2. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

Isn't the PX4 about ready to hit the market? Just my opinion, but I've seen quite a few new models that come out with reliability issues, I think I'd let someone else figure that out first.

3. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I'd take the 92 all day. I swear by Beretta, but I am definitely not a big fan of the Storm. Just something about it.. I can't think of the word.. Guys help me out.

Anyways you won't regret the 92A1. Great gun. Question though, why the 92 and not the M9/A1? Do you really just want it to be Italian?? ;)

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I have a Px4 Storm in .45 and I think it is an excellent gun. I have almost 1k rds through it since I bought it last year without a single FTF/FTE. I think it has great balance that helps with follow up shots.

See if you can find a range that rents both and try them out ;)

5. DougB

DougB New Member

I have a PX4 in 9mm and it is flawless. 1K rounds thru it and it's not fussy about what it's fed. The rotating barrel concept is superb. Very little felt recoil, and the firearm is VERY accurate. I'm a southpaw and that does somewhat limit one's choices when finding "the" sidearm.

Excellent firearm!

6. ChuckBurns

ChuckBurns New Member

I own both the Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm and the Beretta 92FS. They are both excellent, but I would recommend the PX4 to you as a first buy. It is very comfortable to shoot, recoil is very light, it is reliable, and it is very accurate. I presently own a Kimber .45 and I'm looking to sell it trade it to get the Beretta PX4 in .45ACP. Beretta has a great gun in the PX4 Storm.

7. Wolfeman1911

Wolfeman1911 New Member

The px4 is not about to come out. I've had one for years. I did a lot of research and I personally have put around 6 thousand rounds through mine (a9mm g model) without a single malfunction of any sort. When i first started handloading, my first two thousand were 9mm and the beretta ate all of them no problem. I am used to a1911 style thumb safety, so the beretta is backwards to me(down is safe). I do not carry it with the safety on, however. Decocked in double action mode with safety off. Just personal preference. I've owned dozens of brand new pistols, and the px4 is one of the select few that is tied for first place on my list.

8. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

I have a px4 9mm never had any issues .I've had for a few years and probably put a couple thousand rounds through it

9. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I've got one chambered in .40. I shoot it, a baby desert eagle .40 and a colt 1911 basically every other weekend with a buddy and after probably 1500 rounds through the px4 it's my favorite of the three. It's real accurate out of the box, I haven't had any fte or ftf problems and it's a super light recoil. My wife has a small frame and she fires it no problem.

10. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

And before my comment expands into a full blown discussion...I love my 1911 too...lol. If someone kicked in my door she's the one I would run too, if nothing else, she's scarier looking. The px4 is sexy looking. The 1911 is all business!

11. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

If you're interesting in a PX4 Storm, I'd also look at a Stoeger Cougar as a cheaper alternative. The basic design began life as the Beretta 8000 Cougar, with a unique locking system based on a rotating barrel. It went through various versions, in various calibers before Beretta decided to stop production in 2004. They then licensed the design to Stoeger out of Turkey, who makes them on Beretta equipment. Since then Beretta decided to reincarnate it in the PX4 Storm. Although the Storm is an entirely new gun, it uses the same rotating barrel system as the Cougar. Both the Cougar and the Storm are known for their light recoil, due to the nature of the rotating barrel.

Oh, and when I say PX4 Storm, I'm talking about the full size and compact version. The PX4 Storm subcompact is a completely different gun, with a conventional cam dropping barrel locking system. Frankly this annoys me. It's a bit misleading. Most people assume that the subcompact is the same gun for a shorter barrel and grip. Not so.

12. jcast

jcast New Member

Thanks. As with the post creator I looked at the px4 for only a little. Might actually consider it next time out. But where does it rank alongside glock 17, fn fnp/fnx, ruger sr9, or smith and Wesson m&p? These seem to be all good reviewed guns without one standing out. Any help? Don't mean to hijack. Just want to see where the storm matches up.

13. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Ive fired all of those but the glock 17. I think when you put up a list like that the only difference is price point and features....I.e. manual safeties. Each one of those is a quality weapon that'd I'd be happy with the price I paid for it. If you are trying to pick one I'd fire the ones you have narrowed yourself down to and figure out the one you like the best. I think you rattled off like five of the most popular guns on these forums, that should give you a clue you are headed in the right direction though.

14. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

I bought the PX4 in .40 as my first pistol. I could not be happier. I have sent about 1500+- rounds through it with no problems. Supper accurate. John McClane hung up his 92 for the px4 in Die Hard 4. What else do you need.

15. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Here's my video review of my Storm 45...
    Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP Review.MOV - YouTube

I also own two 9mm 92FS which I got because they are the same as the standard military pistol. I like it too, but have grown into preferring 45 ACP caliber.

16. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Talked to a guy I know who owns a Storm. His only complaint is the decocking levers stick out quite a bit, and present a bit of a snag issue. Other than that, he loves his.

17. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

The flip side of that though is everything forward of the levers on both sides is smooth. That's one of the "features" of the px4.

18. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

That is PRECISELY why I sold mine. I prefer to pull the slide back to re-charge after a mag change, and the de-cocker was right where I preferred to grab. Only gun I have ever bought and then later sold because I grew not to like it.

Everything else was fine...accurate, reliable...sorta funny looking, but in a good way.

19. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

Anyone have any input on the storm carbine ?

20. ChuckBurns

ChuckBurns New Member

I now own the PX4 9mm and just bought another PX4 in .45ACP. I got rid of my Kimber 1911 to buy the PX4. The PX4 is very comfortable to shoot, is very accurate, easier to take down for cleaning, and holds 10 rounds instead of the 7 rounds or 8 of the 1911. No more Kimber 1911's for me.