Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by ThorsHammer, Oct 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

So I took my Beretta PX4 Storm to the range for the second time today and I figured I'd post my results here for you guys to see. This is a 9mm and I was shooting whatever ammo the range sold me for cheap. Not sure what this type of target is called, but they're about 17 in tall and 11 in wide.

This is my first 17 rounds at 18 ft:

[​IMG]

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about that last one. :p

The top five were from me aiming higher so I could see where I was hitting since I was digging a big ole hole in the target.

Here's another clip of 17 at 25 ft:

[​IMG]

And yet again, I wouldn't worry about that last one. :p

I guess that low right MISS can be considered my signature shot since I managed to hit almost the exact same spot on both targets. Go figure.

Looks like I am shooting low. From what I can tell when shooting I am aiming the right way at the center of the target. I'll give it a few more tries and then attempt to adjust the way I aim.

Anybody have any advice on what to do to get my aim up slightly so I am hitting the actual 10 instead of groups below it?

2. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I went with a couple of guys from work. One guy had never fired a handgun before, so I let him shoot with mine initially, then our buddy let us try his .45 commander. That thing had a bit of kick to it, and it ejected the brass like crazy, they went bouncing all over the place.

An epic moment was when the beginner fired my gun and a piece of brass actually plinked into the little pocket on the side of the lane and he turns around to me with a big grin on his face. He had previously mentioned that one landing in there would be rare indeed. :D

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

So how do you like the Storm?

4. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

It's the best thing since sliced bread! Now that I have shot a couple of other guns as well I like it even more. It fits me perfectly. The first time I fired it I was in love.

5. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

Have you checked sight zero on a bench?

If sights are good and you're still hitting low my guess is you're flinching.

6. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Haven't done that. Wouldn't even know where to start with that. I might be flinching. Will take that into consideration next time I go and maybe have someone take a look at me while I fire. Thanks!

7. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

While a vise bench is ideal its not required. Simply shoot from a sand bag rest or something similar. The idea is to remove as much potential for human error as possible. If needed adjust your sights until they match point of impact. You should do this in five shot groups.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Good job and thanks for the report!

My advice is to put some snap caps randomly in your magazine with the live rounds. This will give away your flinches like it does mine. I don't know how to correct flinches, but the first step is acknowledging you have a problem... :)

9. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

That's what I was gonna say, only have someone else load your magazines so you don't know where the snap caps are. You should be able to tell if your flinching when you get to the snap cap, but have someone watch you just in case. Also, using those same snap caps and dry firing while at home will help with the flinching.

-Fred

10. utf59

utf59 New Member

Two quick questions you can ask yourself that may indicate whether you are anticipating recoil (flinching):

1) Did everyone else shoot low with your pistol?
    2) Did you shoot low with every pistol?

11. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Great advice! Where's the best place to pick up some snap caps? Local gun store? Wal-mart?

12. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

1) Not that I could tell, Matt was shooting fairly center with the gun.
    2) I think that I shot low with every gun, including the .45. Ah, we're on to something!

13. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

My Wal-Mart doesn't have them, but they don't have much shooting stuff at all, and depending on the size of the gun store they may have them. I do know for sure that Bass Pro Shop has them.

-Fred

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Great thread going on. Each suggestion is good for help, but I am gonna ask about your stance and sight alignment.

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Most gun shops carry them. About $15 for a five pack. :)

16. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Sight alignment? Do you mind explaining that a bit? I am still quite new to most of these terms since I started shooting a few weeks ago.

As for my stance, I stand with legs comfortably apart, left foot slightly in front of the right, left foot forward, right foot angling out at about 45 degrees, similar to a some martial arts ready stances. It just felt natural to me to stand that way, probably because I used to do Kung-Fu for a while.

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

How are you lining up the front sight with the back sight? Are you keeping your head up and bringing the weapon to the height of your eyes, or are you dropping your head a little? Are you placing the front sight on the center, or just below center?

18. utf59

utf59 New Member

Sight alignment can refer to the way the shooter views the sights in relation to each other (usually referred to as "sight picture"), or the way the shooter views the sight picture in relation to the target (usually referred to as "sight alignment").

I believe your gun uses the three-dot sights — two on the rear sight, one on the front. The correct sight picture would be formed by aligning the dots so they look like this: • • •

Then the sight alignment is formed by putting the bullseye on top of the center dot. Some people put a lot of bullseye above the center dot, others put the center dot directly over the bullseye. Personally, I say do whatever makes the bullets hit the middle.

You probably knew that stuff already, but you might be surprised how some people align their sights. I've heard of folks making a pyramid out of three-dot sights.

If you want to get some good information, I highly recommend The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob. Rather than taking a my-way-or-highway approach, he discusses the pros and cons of different grips, stances, etc. You can find it at a lot of bookstores or at Amazon.com. The 6th edition is the most current; they use a different author for each edition.

Happy shooting!

19. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

I align the front dot in between the rear two dots while focusing on the front sight so that both the rear sight and the target are a little blurred, and I guess I aim with about half of the circle/center of the target above the sights, the rest covered by them.

I think my sight alignment is fine from what you guys are saying here, so I am probably flinching slightly when firing, thus hitting low. Could I be gripping the gun too tightly, maybe?

20. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Great stuff! Thanks for the clarification between sight alignment and sight picture, didn't know that! I already knew some of the essentials on aiming right, mostly from reading some of the articles here, and of course I throw in a pinch of common sense.

I will definitely check out The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery. Sounds like a good addition to my library.