Beretta px4 rotating barrel

Discussion in 'Beretta Forum' started by cblowe13, Aug 11, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

What is the purpose of a rotating barrel? I read that it helps reduce muzzle flip because of the low bore axis. Anything else, because I have not shot it yet and was just curious.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Berreta's website does not mention a rotating barrel as a feature.

The low axis bore of the storm is designed to reduce muzzle flip, according to the information on the website.

3. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

The storms have rotating barrels all except the sub compact

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

5. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Beretta pioneered the rotating bolt on shotguns, everyone is copying that now. Maybe this is the next greatest thing.

Just sayin....

7. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I think I heard somewhere that browning did this like a hundred years ago in there pistol. Don't quote me on that.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you plan on running a suppressor the px4 will unscrew the supressor and it will go flying off the end of the gun...

they arent suppressor friendly guns.

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I did not say any rotating bolt, just on shotguns. Even the re-introduced A5 has rotating bolt, my Granddaddy's A5 did not.

10. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Was your grandaddys a5 made in Belgium?

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  12. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Oh man I fell in love last weekend I shot my first a5. Wow I'm in love. I'm trying to get one for myself I love the modified choke at the end of the barrel.

13. Cheever

Cheever New Member

The A5 is also a long recoil operated semi, so the bolt and the barrel recoil together back. They come to the end of their travel and the barrel returns forward and then the bolt closes (feeding the next round). Interesting consept but not used much anymore. I haven't seen an old manufacture Browning that uses a rotating bolt.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The rotating barrel was introduced with the Cougar. Remember just about all semi-auto pistols in 9mm up have "locked breech" set ups. Whether it is a Browning linked system (1911) or a linkless design (just about everyone else) the barrel stays locked with the slide for a short distance as the slide moves to the rear. The barrel drops in a conventional system, unlocking and allows extraction and loading of the next round. Beretta simply locks/unlocks without the barrel dropping. THis allows the barrel to be mounted lower in the pistol. THIS is what reduces muzzle flip.

15. AR10

AR10 New Member

The rotating barrel also acts like a gyroscope, to aid your balance in shooting while inebriated.

16. ltcrlf

ltcrlf New Member

rotating barrel

My storm has a polymer frame, and thus lighter. So the rotating barrel dissipates some of the recoil by changing some of the linear motion into rotation, and the gun shoots soft. Love it.