Beretta Bobcat .22LR

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by NymphoGnome, May 6, 2010.

1. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

So I am going tomorrow to shoot my dad's "Bobcat." I haven't shot this before and it being a .22 and dry firing being bad for .22's, I am worried about the inevitable dry fire shot that ensues after the last round. Is this going to ruin the gun?

2. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

well...I've had the empty magazine dry fire happen when I'm shooting my 10/22 pretty much every time I get carried away and dump the whole mag...or pretty much every time I shoot it and the firing pin hasn't broken or anything yet...It's not GOOD for the gun but I doubt it will destroy it unless you get carried away and dry fire a LOT

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

when you dryfire a rimfire the firing pin CAN hit the edge of the chamber and cause a small burr so that it needs to be removed so a round can chamber.

Don't do it all the time. Count your shots and know when to stop is the best thing to prevent any damage.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The dry fire after emptying the gun won't hurt it. There's not that many times it'll be dry fired that way unless you shoot a TON. It's when you intentionally dry fire for extended sessions is when you should use snap caps.

5. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Well that gun was terrible FTF 7 times, and a casing got stuck in the barrel, I had the guy at the range look at it and he said the extractor was messed up.

In another gun related issue, I was with my friend and he brought his 40mm, I have found a new love, I am all about a 40mm now! :D

6. robbo60

robbo60 New Member

We used the 40mm M79 in Vietnam. I think you shot a .40 caliber.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are times I wish I had a 40mm. :) Wait, shouldn't this be in the handgun forum?

8. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

lol not the 40mm discussion that should be in the grenade launcher forum

9. sarsipius79

sarsipius79 New Member

LOL, 40mm is friggin massive. He did mean .40 S&W. I have a Glock 27. I love it. I have a .357 SIG barrel for it as well so i can carry either round.

JH

10. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Hearing and seeing 9mm and 7mm really kind of made me think every round was called that.

11. sarsipius79

sarsipius79 New Member

Yeah youll get that. There is no end to the different types of ammo out there.

12. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

With the bobcat, the FP ain't what you'll be worried about...catching the web of your hand with the slide will be ;)

Maybe that's why they named it bobcat, it bites your thumb knuckle...LOL

13. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I'm not sure about the Bobcat, but the Tomcat does not have an extractor. Your issues may have been ammo related.

14. Wambli

Wambli New Member

The "guy at the range" is an idiot. The Bobcat has no extractor. Jeez, there ought to be a test you have to pass before you are allowed to give any firearms advice...

Give the little pistol a thorough cleaning and try different ammo for it until it finds what it likes. The old standard Remington High Velocity copper plated stuff shoudl work Ok. The bargain basement ammo usually does not.