Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Unfortunately, I have to revise my previous opinion:mad: of the Beretta Bobcat, and downgrade it. From our experience, we can no longer recommend it as a reliable, concealed carry option. From my research online, we are not the only ones to have experienced a jamming problem with this model pistol.

This brand new, .22 caliber, Beretta Bobcat 21 has been sent back to the factory twice to fix a jamming problem. We've used the recommended ammunition: Winchester Wildcats and CCI Stingers, and various other versions and brands, all with the same result: this pistol constantly jams. We have followed the recommended oiling and cleaning, but nothing works. The pistol fails often to fire; it fails to eject. This video is our test after getting the gun back after the second factory "service." We are very disappointed.

I'm interested to know if the higher caliber versions (.25 and .32 Tomcat) are more reliable due to increased powder.

My previous hopeful "review" is here.
I have the Taurus copy cat version and it is a piece of sheet! I would consider setting up my phone, recording me setting my Taurus PT-22 on fire and posting it on youtube. This is the worst firearm I have ever owned, hands down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"shawbuch", I gave you a like for the information you provided and posted and
to Firearms Talk Forum. When folks like yourself provide some helpful information, who gives a 'ratsass' on how old the post is. It was a post that was done here, on FTF. Thank YOU!
I hope to see more posts from you and please, don't be shy about asking questions, there are some folks here that are actually willing to try and help you! :)
Thank you - I am not 'post savvy' and I didn't realize it was an old thread! I just wanted to share what I found out about the gun I have, since it is apparently not as good of a gun as you would expect from beretta. Thanks for this site!

·
Registered
6 Posts
GENERAL NOTE ON .22 RIMFIRE GUNS

With a few exceptions, many are prone to the problem shawbuch mentioned. Design of the gun, coupled with dryfire, makes the firing pin ding the mouth of the chamber. The "dent" can push metal into the mouth of the chamber, making the case drag on the chamber, and can leave the rim poorly supported to be pinched by the firing pin on next shot.

HOWEVER- do NOT remove that little burr. There is a tool to iron it back into place (Chamber iron). Me, I'm strictly an amoocher gunsmith (no, that is NOT a misspelling) I use a Stanley nail set and a flat tipped pin punch to do the same thing. If instead you removed the metal by filing or grinding, you still have metal missing.

The uncertain reliability of rimfire ammo in an auto was what prompted John Browning to create the .25 ACP cartridge. It was made to duplicate the 22 LR from a 2 inch bbl, but to have greater reliability in feeding and firing. You might sneer at the .25 Auto, but I have a Baby Browning that will sit there and munch thru box after box of ammo without a burp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree that leaving metal is always the best option! Just to be clear, the area that I stoned smooth was the outer lip of the chamber, not the inner chamber itself. I don't know the technical term for it, but it is the diameter of the rim of the bullet. My stone diameter will not fit into the actual chamber, and I did this by hand, not with power.
I am by no means a gunsmith, but a machinist. Thanks for suggesting the chamber iron. I will have to look into this tool! Thanks - from this rookie.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Something to consider... The Stinger rounds are considered to be hyper-velocity rounds with speeds of over 1,400+ fps. Most .22 caliber firearms are set up to shoot standard velocity speed .22 caliber cartridges which includes their springs for recoil purposes. If you go with a hyper-velocity round you overpower the springs in the firearm and can cause it to jam. I had a buddy whose .22 was jamming because it was being overpowered by the Stinger ammo force/power.

We cleaned and oiled the firearm, switched the ammo to a more standard power ammo and then problems stopped. Have you tried this idea?

·
Retired
13,662 Posts
Sierra, you may be on to something, but I have a few .22s that require "hyper-velocity" rounds. My PPK/s is one.
The best advice is to read the owner's manual and purchase the correct ammunition.

·
Banned
4,353 Posts
Something to consider... The Stinger rounds are considered to be hyper-velocity rounds with speeds of over 1,400+ fps. Most .22 caliber firearms are set up to shoot standard velocity speed .22 caliber cartridges which includes their springs for recoil purposes. If you go with a hyper-velocity round you overpower the springs in the firearm and can cause it to jam. I had a buddy whose .22 was jamming because it was being overpowered by the Stinger ammo force/power.

We cleaned and oiled the firearm, switched the ammo to a more standard power ammo and then problems stopped. Have you tried this idea?
I'd like to see where that information was obtained. It may have been the case back in the days of older firearms when high velocity ( 1100 to 1250 FPS ) ammunition was introduced, but in no means should that apply to modern .22 caliber rimfire firearms. All the modern .22 firearms that I've tested and worked on handle .22 hi-velocity quite well with factory provided recoil springs.
Hyper velocity .22 rimfire, such as those with velocities running 1400+ FPS for Velocitors and 1600+ FPS for CCI Stingers do create more "recoil impulse energy" than most .22 pistols can tolerate, for example; the Ruger Mark pistols and Smith & Wesson Model 41, but they do just fine with hi-velocity .22 rimfire and those types do not create any damage, for example: the Ruger SR 22 pistols handle hyper velocity rounds quite well. For the Smith & Wesson Model 41, it has been recommended that Standard velocity ammunition be used, but it's more for accuracy than function.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Any new information as to what happened on this thread? I'm curious if the ammo switch helped or not like it did my pal. This might be something that we need to make people aware of for those just in case situations...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts