beretta and taurus

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by juststartin5272, Aug 24, 2012.

1. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Are parts, mainly grips, interchangeable between the Beretta 92 and Taurus PT92?

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

From what i have read they are not. I have never tried to do this so i dont have any hands on experience. Some of the more knowledgeable guys should be along soon and might be more helpful.

3. Glock17owner

Glock17owner New Member

Beretta safety on the slide, taurus safety on the frame

4. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

The current models do not, but I believe the old 92SB grips (from when Beretta had a frame mounted safety/decocker) do work on the Tauri. After all I am pretty sure it's the old 92SB mills and machines that Taurus uses to make the PT-92.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Beretta got kind of pissed when their factory that they built in Brazil got nationalized and then sold off to Taurus, so they changed the 92 design enough that most parts won't work with the Taurus.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've had some success with parts interchangability, but very few.

7. juststartin5272

Grips are mainly my concern, my wife has taken a liking to the pt92 after seeing a custom one on a site I was looking at, but custom and non stock parts are hard to find. I get her a Beretta 92 but the price is so much more and all the reviews on the Taurus show it to be equally as good in some cases better. Anyone know where I can find custom parts(stuff other than stock black) and post any custom pics you may have of your own?

8. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

ROFL! The picture painted on the Taurus website is far... happier... lol! I had no idea that the factory was nationalized. I thought it was a friendly business deal! :D

9. Glock17owner

Glock17owner New Member

Nationalized- what does this word means ???

10. juststartin5272

11. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Nationalized means Brazil confiscated the factory and turned over operations to the Taurus (Brazilian company).

12. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Link? I personally do not like Taurus at all. But words has always been that Beretta sold it to Taurus. First I've heard that the govt took the factory....

13. Glock17owner

Glock17owner New Member

Yeah I heard they sold it too

14. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

As far as I know, that's the version I've always read and heard...

15. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Why on Earth would a company want to say they got taken over? Even if they didn't sell it, they would probably say they did for their image considering the lack of validity and proof in most statements or findings.

Regardless, the Taurus 92 is VERY similar to Beretta's. But just because the factory is the same, doesn't mean they are still made with the same quality control standards. Yes a Taurus 92 may shoot almost identical to a Beretta 92 originally, but the consistency will drop off with time. Taurus has a bad track record for a reason; people didn't just start making stuff up out of thin air.

Long story short, some parts are yes, and some are not. And that's just based off the same basic platform. That 92 style has been around a long long time with dated technology, so it's easy to duplicate. I would stick with either all Beretta or all Taurus; don't mix and match. No one wants a mutt when it comes to handguns.

16. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

True - but without some sort of proof or reference to the claim... It's like me saying that about ANY foreign company that got bought out by someone else... Anyone can make anything up and not be verified.

17. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I know, I'm just saying that's why it could be either one. I know Beretta has public records that you can call them and ask for. If you are a Beretta owner or considering purchasing one, they legally have to release where and when certain models were produced to the inquirer if they want to sell their firearms in the United States. So if someone is interested in doing a little undercover research, there you go! ;)

18. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Well, I'm not saying its impossible. But after 10 years of being on various gun forums, and being the Beretta nut that I am... And being admins on other gun forums... And being the guy who dislikes Taurus as much as I do... THIS thread is the first I have EVER heard of that theory. So, not buying it. Its pie in the sky as far as I am concerned. If true, someone else would have brought this up and there'd be more of a story or more proof.

19. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

What theory?? I didn't state it was for sure one way or the other.. That's why I used works like "could" or "may".

20. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

I am refering to this that started all of this mess:

I am saying my last post refers to this... It's not true...