Beretta 96fs, is it any good?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by blucoondawg, Jul 29, 2011.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I was just shopping around for handguns today, and I was looking at the Beretta 96fs at Gander Mountain, I liked the feel and being that it has a ambi decock safety and interchangeable mag release i like the concept, but it is 700 bucks before tax and background check, I am wondering if this is a reliable gun as I am assuming it is pretty much the same thing as the 92fs modified to take the 40s&w. Anyone have any experience with them or heard any stories of them failing due to the bigger load they are chambered for?

2. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

My friend has one and I have fired it a few times with no issues,and as far as I know it's just as reliable as his 92 compact he has also,he would have told me by now if it ever had issues.

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

go on youtube and watch the review videos pretty helpful.....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  4. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

I bought a Beretta 92fs from Gander Mountain a while back, but mine is chambered in 9mm. That is probably my most accurate handgun... However, 700 before tax is pretty steep if you ask me. I suppose it's because it's chambered in 40s&w, but I'd shop around a little if I were you.

5. Recomm

Recomm New Member

For the price you can get a much more reliable weapon than a beretta of any kind. The military uses beretta but those contracts are awarded to the lowest and cheapest bidder ie beretta. I carried one for 3 years for the marine corps and I've gotta say once they gave me a 1911 I nearly creamed myself.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

That seems like a lot. :confused: Would you consider a traded in model at a pawn shop; i bet you could save a ton. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...good-condition-/cPath/16_153/products_id/4694 J&G has a Storm in .40 for $430ish.

Honestly, Gander Mountain is pretty, but their handgun prices always seem high here, especially on used firearms. I would at least check the price for a similar model with Buds Gun Shop online.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  7. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

The Berettas I have owned and the ones I still own have all been high
    quality, accurate and reliable firearms.

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Yes, I know Gander Mountain has ridiculous prices, I just use them as a place to look at different models when I'm able to stop there, I wouldn't ever buy something from them. It seems the model they had at Gander is some type of special edition or Gander Mountain exclusive in the 2 tone design, it isn't listed on the Beretta website and none of the other shops I've asked about it can even find it in their books or online. As far as pawn shops go, that is where I ended up going, we have a fairly new shop in the area as of the last few years, but they are not only a pawn shop, they are also a new gun dealer with a fair selection of reloading and other gun supplies, and they are willing to get other stuff they don't currently have if there is a call for it, its called Hodag Gun and Pawn in Rhinelander WI. Anyways I found a 96A1 there which was used but only fired a couple times, a police officer bought it then traded it in on something different, so I currently have it on layaway. I would have bought it outright but I'm slightly short of funds since I just purchased a GP100 357 a few days ago, lol.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Excellent choice! I love my GP100 for target plinking.

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

With the Beretta M9/92/96, "function" is rarely a problem. They're good guns.

The issue is their rather bulky "fit". But by the sound of things, you already like the fit...so it'd probably be a good option for you.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Blucoon, I just bought a 96A1 under the same circumstances as you. Had it on Lay Away @ a gun shop, very lightly used, (they only came out w/the A1 last year), brought it home last Sunday. Nice gun. I used to have the 96 FS back in the mid nineties, I only sold it cause I thought I needed cash. I wish I hadn't. How much was yours? I paid $589 total. (No sales tax, no $ for BG check)

My next gun is going to be a CX4 Storm to go with it, interchangeability of mags.........

12. Stormy209

Stormy209 New Member

96fs is my favorite gun. It is very accurate. I will never give it up.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

13. beaniemac

beaniemac New Member

I agree that is expensive. I bought a used beretta 96 today and it cost $550.

14. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

Damn. I bought my M9 new for 579. Had the trijicons installed for 168.00 from Tooltech.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  15. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

Oh sorry should've read more carefully. 96

16. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have the 92 and 96 and they are both great shooters and are very accurate. But that price does seems high. Check out buds or cheaperthandirt to compare. Good luck!!!

17. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I just saw this thread is getting responses again, I bought the slightly used 96 last fall shortly after I originally posted this thread, so far I'm happy with it though I haven't done a ton of shooting yet. If I remember correctly I paid 600 for the one I bought. The only thing I don't really like about it is the plastic guide rod, I will probably order a stainless one to replace it.

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, from all I've heard, that plastic guide rod is perfectly reliable under all conditions. But, it's bendy when you touch it, and reeks of cheapness. I think a non-polymer gun should be mostly METAL. I'll probably replace it eventually, too.
    Beretta makes some top-notch firearms, but they are a little more than slightly behind the curve on what their customers want.

19. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Ya, it's been my experience that any part replaced with a plastic part is nothing more than a piece of crap 99.9% of the time. They say its plenty strong and works fine, which so far it is, but I still don't like it

20. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

I put the solid steel one in my m9. Holding up pretty good. And it is stronger spring also. Got it from beretta website. Not the gold one.