Beretta 96 mags

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by blucoondawg, Dec 22, 2012.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I'm looking to buy a couple spare mags for my Beretta 96A1, I haven't bought any handgun mags before, are there any brands to stay away from? Or any that are worth mentioning as being very good quality other than factory mags?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

mecgar has a decent rep for making beretta mags as from what i understand beretta uses them to make their mags that ship with the beretta stamp.

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I would only buy factory mags (with the exception of Chip McCormick Shooting Star 1911 Mags which WERE Colt "factory").

4. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

do you have experience with mecgar or any others malfunctioning?

5. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I had some MecGar 96 mags that were function flawless in the 12 rounds configuration.

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I put in all my info to order the Mecgars then I decided to check the Beretta page again for some reason, in the time I was at the Mecgar site Beretta posted a sale on the mags for the 92/96. Normally $43 now $34 something but if you buy 2 or more they're 29.95 with free shipping! That's a helluva deal from what I've seen. The mags on the sale are 9mm 17 round or 40 12 round.

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I've had nothing but good luck with MecGar magazines.
    I have them for my CZ (the are the OEM maker as well), Tanfoglio Witness (If they aren't the OEM maker, I'd be surprised) & for my Dan Wesson 1911 in .40S&W (head & shoulders better than the Metalforms that came with it.)

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

That seems to be the thought from what I am finding out, seem like a good product, I wouldn't hesitate to order them in the future. The Mecgar actually offered slightly higher capacity than the Beretta, its 12 and I could get either 13 or 15 in the Mecgar, but for the sale price I figured I'd be best to stay with the Beretta mags, who knows maybe they are Mecgar, I haven't been able to find that info out for fact yet.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

on the left is one of my mecgar 20round mags right is the 15 rounder that came with the gun as you can see the follower is a little different and it gives a better feed angle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Check out the Beretta forum. From what I've read, even the Mecgars are a crap shoot. I have had a ProMag, stay away from them! Their reputation is junk. I would go with Beretta 1st, used Beretta 2nd, and Mecgar 3rd. There are always people in the Beretta forum wanting to sell used mags.

11. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

My 92 came with a cheap aftermarket magazine when I bought it (gun was used). That mag had about an 85% reliability rate. I picked up some used factory mags at my earliest convenience, and have never had another feed failure in thousands and thousands of rounds fired.

I don't really understand the hate that beretta's get sometimes, for me they are accurate, easy to shoot, and super reliable. What else do you need in a firearm?

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

the history of the M9 service pistol is where it comes from. ive had a love hate with em for years. ive got lots of trigger time on beretta 92's prolly close to as much as i do with 1911's. berettas choke when they get too hot but it takes a lot of constant shooting to do that more than you can reasonably do at one time. need about 20+ mags non stop to get it hot enough. dunno if the current m9a1 will though im not going to abuse my personal gun like that to find out.

i carried a promag on duty because it had a removable base and a coil spring. i could load my 10 issue rounds with the mag base off stick my issue mag in the mag pouch so when the sergeants came by and checked they could see "no mag" in the gun and one in the pouch. fortunately they never looked at the mag in the pouch to see if it had bullets. they would even occasionally stick a finger in the butt of the gun. since the mag base was open and only a few rounds in it it looked and felt empty but i always had one in the pipe on duty and some in the mag.

there are good uses for aftermarket mags especially when your doing end rounds on idiocy.

13. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Yep, I've got 2 Beretta mags on order with the sale they have on now, I also noticed many decent used deals on the auction sites, if I decide to pick up more that's where I'm gonna look.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

And, have you checked out the 30 rd 9mm mag you can convert to hold 20 rounds of 40 in the 96? Works flawlessly if you do it right.....

15. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I had 20 round mags for the 96 from Cheaper Than Dirt with converting 92 mags

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

The conversion I'm talking about uses BUSA OEM mags.

17. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

Oh, I see.

18. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

No I haven't, I don't really care to have a mag sticking that far out the bottom of the grip.

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Actually, this is more for the CX4 than the 96. For a rifle, I expect more than 12 rounds.