Beretta 950 .25 acp trade for Desert Eagle Micro .380

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by gunman41mag, Aug 5, 2015.

1. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Well-Known Member

Give me your opinion, would you do the trade ??

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 Active Member

I've owned a tomcat in the past I don't know if it is or is not really comparable to the 950 but I liked it but I've never dealt with a micro so I would go for the trade just to try see if I liked it.

3. gunman41mag

Beretta 950 has a tip up barrel, the desert eagle micro. 380 is pretty heavy for a small gun

4. rifleman1

rifleman1 Active Member

Yes the tomcat had the flip up barrel also very cool little gun all in all.

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I would make the trade so fast he wouldn't have a chance to think about changing his mind! No way would I keep a .25 if given the chance to trade for a decent .380! Perhaps you can trade the .380 next for a 9mm? Seriously, a .25 is worse than useless in a gunfight! It MIGHT kill, given surgical precision shot placement, but won't stop somebody in time to save you if no CNS hits, and might even piss him off more! I used to have a friend 1/2 my size that worked in the Jefferson County jail system, and his job was searching people when they 1st came in, before processing. He was shot 5 times with a .25 and killed the guy that shot him. This was in the mid 80s and in case you don't believe me I can provide his name and other info so you can look him-and the shooting up in the local news or paper archives.

6. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Active Member

I would keep the .25. That .380 is very heavy and clunky.

Stalkingbear- your friend would have survived if those 5 shots were .380 also.

7. gunman41mag

Here's what floating in my head, the Beretta 950 .25 acp, is a Single Action with a frame mounted safety & has the tip up barrel, easy to load and unload, plus it has a short light trigger pull, also it's lighter & the mag holds 2 more rounds. The Desert Eagle Micro good point is caliber (.380 acp)it's heavier, bigger, doesn't have a safety, & the trigger pull is a long heavy (10 pound) double action only, also parts will be hard to find. What a dilemma ??

8. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I had a Raven 25 once. HAD is a key word. Had it for about ONE WEEK and got rid of it. JUNK.

9. gunman41mag

I've been pondering on this trade, and the reason I went ahead with the trade is ? The .380 is a more potent caliber than the 25 !! With the 25, i would have to hit the eyes or neck to basically stop the thug !! The 380 should have enough power to reach the main organs.

10. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

I would. The 950 is for a vest pocket. Keeping it in a deep pocket or a blue jean pocket is not very practical for a guy with large hands or sausage fingers. The incredibly tiny "thumb" safety frankly scares me. A few years back someone offered me a 950 for a song, as the gun show was closing. I walked away.

I have not fired a 950, but shot a closely related Bobcat. For targets, meh.

The MDE is more straightforward. The trigger pull and the perceived kick is what you'd expect (the grip is very short for a 380). I liked it better because it is easier to draw safely, and it is also a handsome little chunk of stainless steel. It is an interesting design inside, with two recoil spring assemblies. My MDE was reliable with RN's but not always with hollow points.

My 2 cents, both are recreational pieces, the MDE being better overall.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

My mom had a 950 when I was a small kid. I snuck it out to go TRY to shoot a groundhog and I FINALLY had to hold it almost against the groundhog's head before it would even kill a groundhog at VERY close range! I was only about 8-9 years old but that stuck in my mind how ineffective it was against a lowly groundhog! A heavier .380 DAO is, in MY opinion, MUCH better and a HUGE step in the right direction for defense than the 950. The ONLY thing the 950 has in advantages is the tip up barrel.

12. gunman41mag

I'll just have to get used to a carry gun without a frame mounted safety, i know rifleman1 will be by shortly to cuss me out for wanting a safety on a carry gun

13. rifleman1

rifleman1 Active Member

I'm use to not having an external safety on my carry gun, I know gunman41mag will be by shortly to cuss me out for having the choice to carry what I want.:pot stirrer:

14. Mercator

I wouldn't doubt it. He could have died too, shortly after, from internal bleeding.

You cannot possibly know that, Bill.

15. BillDeShivs

What I do know is that no handgun is a death ray. All require CNS shots for a sure stop. A CNS shot with a .25 does the same thing as a CNS shot with a .380.
    Using caliber as an excuse for poor marksmanship is foolish.
    BTW- I probably have shot more .25 than most people. I have done a lot of informal testing.

16. rifleman1

rifleman1 Active Member

17. Mercator

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  18. gunman41mag

My Beretta 950 .25 was pretty accurate for a small gun, but in a gun fight, I'm not going to have time to aim the tiny sights, hold my breath, & slowly pull the trigger

19. BillDeShivs

Comparing .25 to .22 lr from pocket pistols, shooting .25s at bulletproof vests, penetration tests with wood, target shooting, shooting at targets of opportunity.

20. Mercator

In the absence of a direct CNS hit, the ultimate survival is determined mostly by the blood loss. The rest being equal, 5 larger holes give you a shorter time to live before seeing the paramedics.