Beretta 92S value???

Discussion in 'Beretta Forum' started by fa35jsf, Nov 1, 2014.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

2. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

The blue book of gun values says $220 for 60% grade up to $375 for 95%. However the gun digest book of modern gun values calls it $400 for very good up to $575 for perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

the biggest issue is the are not compatable with modern beretta mags without cutting in a extra notch for the mag release

even so you might have issue since its a euro style heel release. just something to be aware of

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I had read that they are compatible with actual beretta brand mags. Even if they aren't, cutting an extra notch wouldn't be a problem for me. My main thought was, is the price decent and is it likely that the price might go up on these in say ten years?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

its prolly in the ball park for price as far as buying from a dealer. but these would have near zero future value in our lifetimes if ever.

if you were getting an unfired one in the box as new with all paperwork 100% condition you might see 500 from a collector

if your getting it to shoot you could do a LOT worse with surplus pistols.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Unless the 92s is used in a popular movie I don't see them appreciating. If it is a pistol you have wanted to own it is worth $300. The S&W police trade ins at Buds are more likely to appreciate. Another issue with the 92s is accessories.

The Blue Book of Guns values are usually over priced. Until the recent price hikes according to the Blue Book of Guns a used 870 or 500 are worth more used than new. A gun shop owner told me that is what the Blue Book of Guns said a gun is worth. I replied then you should be able to sell the gun to the book. I bought a new gun from a kitchen table FFL for less than the used gun and the gun I got from the FFL was more desirable.

7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller New Member

I bought one and am very happy with it. There was a little holster wear around the end of the barrel and trigger guard. I don't think the Italian Police practice very much. The gun is very tight. In fact the safety/decocker which was very tight, has loosened a bit in the 400 rds I've put through it so far. I looked at a brand new US made 92FS(?) and I think mine is tighter and cleaner. If I was going to buy a new one, it would be an Italian mfg.

The new Beretta magazines will work fine. They have both notches. I actually like the location of the magazine release. I push it with my left thumb and the mag slides into my left hand. Probably not quite as fast if you are just going to drop the mag on the ground and slap in a fresh one.

I did not buy it to collect, but to shoot. I did want it to be clean and tight, and it certainly is. 100% reliable so far, although that is what I expected anyway.

The only negatives for me are:
    1. The right hand only decocker/safety is not as comfortable to move as the one on the 92FS. The button is a little different shape.
    2. The sights are a little lower consequently the sight picture is not as bold as the current model.

8. trigger643

trigger643 Member

I think for a shooter grade decent pistol that's a reasonable price. If you are looking for an investment, I'd recommend something else.

9. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

I used my 92S to tie for 1st place ;showed 2nd (once); and placed, in the top 5 of the other contests, I have shot at my club's range.
    The pistol was bought at $400 bucks in 1982, I would never sell it for less.
    That Beretta also was my go to gun for 13 years, as it defended me and my Tavern for over a dozen years.
    Original box & papers .....90% condition, extra mags , springs, & locking block. Ready to keep ticking for another dozen years.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I don't know...$290+ shipping+ FFL transfer= most of the cost of simply buying a nice used one at the LGS. Which will likely be nicer, and newer, and you may get your choice of the 2 current styles. And it'll probably come with more than 1 mag.

11. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller New Member

From PSA they were $259.00 + $17.00 S&H. They come in a Beretta Box with the SN on the box. I think my 92S is almost like new internally. I know they were proofed by Beretta, but I could not see much other evidence that it had been shot. The FLL who received it for me was impressed with gun and condition. I know it is a gamble, but the other person I know who bought one was equally happy with the condition.

12. loknload

loknload Member

I just recently purchased one of these and I would have to say it was new in the box! Not a mark on it or any signs of it being fired. The gentleman I bought it from couldn't sell it because of the "Importers Mark",,,,go figure? Didn't make a difference to me because it was brand new. The only thing I can figure is that it was never issued and laid in the armory? This one I paid $395. and I believe it to have been a great buy! ;)
    Now to get some nice wood stocks for it! :)

13. handlebar

handlebar New Member

I know this post is old, but I just got this for $350 OTD and it looks unissued, one or two very minor marks. Anything that looks like wear is just reflection from the flash. The barrel is pristine, it has the updated hammer drop, trigger and grips. The slide is a dark plum and moves like it is on ball bearings. Shot it the other day and it is accurate and very little recoil. I am going to get it threaded at 1/2x28 for my suppressor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd buy it.

The heel mag release is a moot point unless you're a competitive combat shooter.

15. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

16. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

IMO, pass. Too many unknowns.

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The 92S is a pretty proven platform. High up the evolutionary chain of the Beretta 92 series in general. Steel frame makes it even a little heavier than the alloy framed FS/M9 versions. Sights are smaller. Mags are obtainable through Beretta at about $10 more per mag than MecGars for the FS/M9s.

For the price you get a pretty solid gun. Like many surplus handguns that come in, like HiPowers and CZ75s, they will have wear. They will be priced reasonable, until supplies dry up. Then prices will rise a bit. Then more may come in and drop the price.

If you collect service pistols or Berettas in general, then these are a bargain.

18. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller New Member

FWIW, my 92S has an Alloy Frame. I thought they all did, but I'm sure about mine.

It is a very easy gun to shoot. Last weekend I put 14 rnds through a 40 cal Glock, and was very happy to go back to the Beretta. It feels better, and is a lot nicer to shoot. Also I really like the exposed hammer and decocker. As I mentioned earlier, my was very tight, with only very slight holster wear. I've shot it more than the Italian Police did.

The only slight negative I have about it, is that the sights are a little lower than the current 92 series. Probably easier to get out of a holster.

The Safety/decocker is only on the left side, so it would not be as handy for a left handed shooter but it doesn't bother me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  19. handlebar

handlebar New Member

Here is my 92S threaded and suppressed. I added a dust rail LaserMax laser because the can was taller than the front sight, not pictured. It shoots accurately and very quiet. Mine has an alloy frame, as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  20. fxdwgpig

fxdwgpig New Member

Buy it if you want it!

that's a good price for the gun. Most of these weapons were lightly used and should have plenty of useful life left over. the thing to worry about is the dealer who is offering it. Do some research and make sure it is from a reputable dealer (importer) with credibility. It is not that hard to find magazines that work for it. Buy it and enjoy it!