Beretta 92--Problems W/accuracy

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Ralphhster, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

I usually always stick with Glock but on a whim I bought a stainless,Italian made Beretta 92----The accuracy was outragously bad , I put in a KKM barrel and it really got the gun printing on paper but it still produces groups that are high and strings vertically ! I have talked with the owner of KKM and he was very nice but didn't know what the problem could be.
    Any suggestions on how to cure this would be appreciated..............:confused:

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Bought new, bought used?

I've owned a couple of 92s and while they aren't "target" guns, they shot well and to POA...

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How did it shoot before the barrel swap? What ammo are you using?

4. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

1) Bought the gun "brand new" at a local dealer !
    2) The gun,when purchased, shot literally ALL over the target......................
    ( Best guess at group size approx.- one to two feet,very sporadic, --at
    45 feet )
    3) Ammo used Winchester,Cor-Bon,Remington and assorted other brand name
    factory ammo.(both ball and hollow point) attempting to maintain factory
    warranty----but-------------------------------------------------------
    Beretta informed me that group size is NOT warranted in ANY way ! !
    4) The gun now shoots about 3" high and vertically strings groupings approx.
    3" to 4". Myself and two other rangemasters shot the pistol , all
    producing similiar results. None of my friends seem to have experience
    enough with Beretta to correct this problem. The KKM barrel did tighten
    the barrel fit;when it was new I could grab the barrel and move it at will
    by hand. ( very sloppy fit)
    5) I didn't expect a tack driver from this weapon but some type of reasonable
    grouping would be nice !
    . I can't believe the military would allow this weapon to be adopted
    if they all shoot to these specifications !
    This class of weapon should produce ,at minimum, combat grade
    accuracy ! No, I will not define "combat grade"----but the groups that
    I have defined are outside the perimeter of any acceptable accuracy
    standards ................................
    *******There isn't a gunsmith where I live that will touch a Beretta--they
    claim to be unable to repair a Beretta. BTW I live in Carson City,Nv
    which is why I ask for assistance..................

5. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Did you put the gun in a Ransom Rest? That will tell if it is you or the gun. My Beretta is a great shooter. The fixed sights does take some getting use to.

6. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

YES , that is how we substantiated my claim to the Beretta Co.............(documented at an NRA range,with NRA equipment,performed and documented by an NRA rangemaster)
    NOW...how do I FIX the weapon ? :cool:
    MY...Beretta is still NOT a great shooter !

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  7. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

3" groups on the Ransom Rest? Thats not right what is the round count? It might tighten up as it breaks in.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Sounds like the barrel is not fully locking down or there is a problem with the guide rod. If 2 barrels exhibit similar open groups it stands to reason that the problem is not the barrel per se but that the barrel may be "moving" while the bullet is going down the pipe. The trajectory angle of each shot is different as the bullet leaves the muzzle with the barrel in a slightly different POA. Try mounting the slide and barrel onto another Beretta frame and/or switch out the guide rod and see if the problem clears up.

PS I have a 92FS and it shoots like a dream...never heard of anything like this before so I doubt it's endemic to the whole 92 line. In 25 years of military use in several TOA I think we would have heard about this issue by now.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  9. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

Thank you for the advice--you are correct and I will try the suggestions !
    It will be at least two days if our weather man has his way. Prediction=Only heavy rain the next two days.
    Will advise as the attempts progress ! I bought the Beretta thinking exactly that which you have stated about your own 92FS ! Never considered that the frame and-----the barrel could be bad ! Guess thats why I asked for the help. Thanks again and I will advise of the progress.
    BTW---- I thank you also for your service in our military !

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Did not mean to imply that I was in the military, sorry for the confusion. My Beretta, on the other hand, says you're welcome...:)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  11. Nake48

Nake48 New Member

I too also love my 92FS especially for carry. Gun dealers in Nevada close to where you are, since I am in Reno. I can give you numbers, you might have tried those people already; but I will have to agree with you, I asked for a trigger job, and no one wants to mess with a beretta at all. They won't touch it, said it would the void the warranty on the gun. May I ask where you picked yours up at? I don't have a steady dealer right now, so I got mine from Cabela's for a decent price at the time.

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

If the op bought the gun new, it's covered by warranty and he should send it back.

13. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

QUOTE--- " Did not mean to imply that I was in the military, sorry for the confusion. My Beretta, on the other hand, says you're welcome... " --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OOOps ! Among other maladies, I don't read to well. I do thank you for the advice regardless of the military affiliation !-----Rain supposed to be gone no later than Friday and I'll try the fix then !.................................:

14. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

Bought it at SilverState Firearms in Reno----They will NOT do anything so far as warranty--but-- owner agreed to buy it back for $300.00 !:mad:----------I paid $750.00 !
    Quote--"If the op bought the gun new, it's covered by warranty and he should send it back. "--Stalkingbear
    I did, as I said earlier, call Beretta and was informed something other than "it's covered by warranty".:(--Thank you for the interest and I wish either the dealer or Beretta had your viewpoint !
    BTW---What's an "op" ?

15. Nake48

Nake48 New Member

Only $300.00? If you paid that much for it at Silverstate, sell it to Cabela's they will give you 70% of what you paid for it; they have to look at it first, to make sure it is in good condition and everything. You didn't get the INOX did you? I have very little knowledge with the INOX model, but I know it's different than the original 92FS. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate lack of accuracy you are experiencing (the guns fault, not yours, that is).

16. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

Yup ! It's INOX , I call it stainless , it sure does look "stainless" ! I think the slide may be the only stainless part --the frame,regardless of nomenclature is only aluminum----don't mean to ruffle feathers but even KKM considers this to be a truism and only considers expected barrel life accuracy to be about 2000 rounds due to frame wear against the steel barrel and block .
    Nope ! I have already modified the gun and spent quite a bit of money , I don't think Cabelas would consider it a stock gun. I can't,in good conscience, put the original barrel back in it. It was "TERRIBLE" .
    Good thoughts though---Thank you !

17. Nake48

Nake48 New Member

Dang! I was considering getting an INOX model, but not anymore, not with the stock barrel at least. The stock barrel on my 92FS was OKAY at best, after I bought a ported barrel from EFKF for it, it works great and my groups are tighter than they ever where with the stock barrel. As far as modifications go, what modifying have you done to it so far? I am reading more on what people think about the INOX.

18. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

PM ed Nake48------------