Beretta 92 FS problem

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jeepfxr, May 20, 2012.

1. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

I picked up a super clean Beretta 92 FS yesterday and while shooting it today I had a problem with the slide not coming back far enough to cock the hammer. This happened about 25% of the time in 50 rds. I had already stripped the gun down and cleaned and oiled it even though it was spotless when I got it. The only ammo. I had on hand today was a new box of Herter's steel cased. I plan on getting some Remington ammo. tomorrow but in the meantime any thoughts anyone might have will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Hmm, i've never experienced that (or any problems actually) with my 92fs. Maybe the ammo you were using just doesn't have quite enough punch to properly cycle it. Wish i could be more helpfull.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Steel cased ammo? What was the protective coating?

I've seen where steel cased ammo caused a Walther to jam.
    What was happening is that the coating was "melting" during a full magazine shooting. The chamber was getting gummed up by that ammo.

Suggest that you use brass cased ammo.

4. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Did it not cock the hammer every time, or did it get worse about it as the day went on? If it was good to start with, but then started to not cock the hammer, that sounds good for the coating on the steel cases.

When I got my first 92FS, I was told that the pistol was made for 124 grains, and that would be the best to run in it. The guy told me that it may work with 115, but it could cause a problem. I have run 115 in my first 92FS (grabbed the wrong box and then tried it), and it worked fine, but I still try to only run 124.

Hope that helps, and hope you enjoy your new Beretta.

5. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

92 fs

I kind of thought it was the ammo and now I'm almost sure of it. Thanks for the replies. I will get some good ammo tomorrow and try it. I'll have an update after that. Thanks again.

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I never have an ammo issue with my 92s,

even with the WWB 115 grain FMJ.

DNK about Herters, though.

7. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

Replace the recoil spring.

8. losack

losack New Member

I've never had any issues with 115 gr either, however it was designed for the 123 grain NATO.

Academy here in Oklahoma sells there's for 13.99 per 50. Quite a bit snappier than white box with red letter Winchester. This is Winchester in a white box with black letters.

Good luck.

9. oli700

oli700 New Member

with what and why ?

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

My beretta shoots everything I put into it, it sounds like the gun to me.

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

If you bought it used, the last owner may have installed a higher pressure recoil spring. Many shooters do this if there going to shoot +P or ++P loads to avoid damaging the gun.

Shooting standard velocity ammo with a spring rated for higher velocity ammo could cause the problem you described. I'd pick up both standard and +P ammo and see which functions best.

Then you'll know.

Tack

12. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

Because berettas are notorious for doing that. Just replacing the spring you should be able to get them at any local gun store.

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You realise the spring pulls the slide forward right?

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I'm not sure how much gun info he's picked up at Occupy Protests?

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The thought was almost right. Just backwards. Brain farts happen.

16. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

Yeah never owned one because of hearing about there springs being crappy. Not a big fan of the 9mm. The Beretta 92 are reliable don't get me wrong and yes i realize it pushes forward lol. Just don't like decocking and all the bells and whistles.

17. Oblivion9

Oblivion9 New Member

Where is this Beretta having bad springs or not shooting 115 grain bullets coming from?

If it were going to have problems it would be with bigger heavier bullets.

Mine has only been fed 115 gr and never a flaw. Easy to test with different bullets but also take a look and make sure there isn't something else going wrong.

My 92 slides like its on butter.

18. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Yeah never had a problem with mine. I put the solid steel recoil spring assembly in mine though and it feels like a heavier spring in it. I shoot whatever I can out it and never had an issue. and yes the slide feels like it rides on ball bearings. So smooth.

19. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Sounds more like a coating issue to me. 92F's will run filthy, seen em do it time and time again so I would think its a non common element being the coating. You can change the spring for good measure but I would clean it, buy a couple of different boxes of ammo and retest.