Beretta 90-two or M9A1?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by sonf, Jan 18, 2009.

1. sonf

sonf New Member

As the topic title suggests, Im stuck in a rut! I love the 90-two. Its very good looking, based off the 92 series (proven as far as Im concerned). But, I cant find any inside-the-pant holsters for it, nor any paddle holsters, sights, magazines, and some other stuff.

The M9A1 on the other hand has lots of accessories, yet, has 2 less round capacity than the 90two. Its a good looking gun, but as far as round capacity and looks, it just doesnt add up for me like the 90-two. Ive held both models and comfort is not a problem with either.

Im looking to switch this up with a 4" 9mm XD for my carry weapons and I predict carrying one of these models more than my XD.

I guess my questions are:

1. Has anyone seen a quality inside-the-pant holster for the 90-two?

2. Can I use 92 sights for the M9 or the 90-two?

3. Which one would you go with and why?

Thanks for your time ladies and gentlemen!

Best Regards,

Cason Farmer

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

It is your decision in the end, and don't put too much stock into what our opinions are.

With that said, I would probably go with the 90-two. Since you are already familiar with carrying a polymer pistol, you will be familiar with the reduced weight and polymer frame of the 90-two (The weight reduction is very small, though). An extra 2 rounds is also a nice little touch.

As far as I have seen the operating parts of the two pistols are pretty much the same. It seems the only difference between the two is the polymer frame.

It's gonna have to be your call. If I had to pick one, it would be the 90-two for me.

You should be able to use the same sight setup on any Beretta pistol (M-9, 92FS, or 90-Two).

I have not seen an inside-the-pants holster for this type of pistol. I would assume that it would be a little bulky to carry like that comfortably. As far as 9mm pistols go, these models are pretty bulky.

On a side note, have you though of just getting a full size XD (4 inch or 5 inch model)?

3. sonf

sonf New Member

Well, to clarify, I am not used to carrying anything as of yet. I havent gotten my CWP yet. Ive shot a 3" XD 40 and fell in love. I have shot 9mm before though and like it better than the .40 round. Less recoil, cheaper in bulk, still good stopping power. Thus my choice of the XD9 and one of the two aforementioned Berettas.

I know, Im a weirdo. I just love the 92 style and Ill compromise bulk for confidence and enjoyment any day. Thats my theory atleast.

I was seriously looking at an XDM 9 for a range gun. Its a 4 1/2". Ive never held one but have heard enough to sell me with confidence. Although I have never carried in my life (yet), I just dont know about a 5 incher in my gut or on my hip. The M9 and 90-two are very close to that but atleast they have a slimmer profile. And finally, I saw the 90-two and the M9 and I think I will enjoy shooting them much more so than the XDM. Afterall, I want to carry the gun I enjoy more and have more confidence in.

I want to get both the Beretta and the XD to switch off. I love both guns and will shoot both of them at the range very regularly, so I just want to take care of both wants. I am confident that I will be comfortable having to use either in a situation very soon after I purchase them, and before I start carrying either.

I am getting a 4" XD9 for its extended tactical rail, and of course the M9 or 90-two over the 92 for its rail as well. Both of these guns will be for home defense and for carry, and I am pairing both of them with an X300 or 400 (not decided yet) from Surefire, so I will need the slightly longer picrail on the 4" as opposed to the subcompact.

Im sure half of that was unneccessary information but now you know where Im coming from! I appologize for not being detailed enough in my previous post.

EDIT: Im very concerned about the holster availability for the 90-two. If it had what the M9 had for holsters it would be a no-brainer.

Best Regards,

Cason Farmer

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  4. sonf

sonf New Member

One other thing I meant to mention was grip availability for the M9. Would it be safe to say that the 92FS grips would work on the M9? Sorry for all the questions.

Best Regards,

Cason Farmer

5. 741512th

741512th New Member

I have found I kind of like metal over plastic, but not because the plastic guns I've owned and fired are bad.

I just like the feel and weight. I own a 92FS and I like it very much.

6. bajastx

bajastx New Member

Well to start off the 90-two is not a polymer frame just a single piece grip vs. the M9A1'a two piece. Second the reason why the M9A1 only 15 rounds is because they come with the sand resistant clips that are only offered in 15 round capacity’s. You could buy the 17 round standard clip or the PVD coated clip and they would work in the M9.

As for holsters I have yet to find one that will fit the 90-two. I called Balckhawk to ask if there 92 holsters would work; they told me that they fit fine. Well I have sitting here and you would have to grind out some plastic to get that thing to fit in. I also called Gould & Goodrich to see if there three slot pancake holsters would work, thinking that the leather would have a little give and should work, well the lady told me that it would not work and they don't have anything that will. Beretta has one on there international web site part# FO99-20-99 however I have yet to find a place that sells them. I'm going to check a local gun shop to see if they can order one.

7. 741512th

741512th New Member

Really? Oh. Thanks for the info. In my ignorance, I just assumed it was a plastic version. Damn, now I'm the 4,765,299,110th smartest person on the planet. Thanks for dropping me down one. :D

8. bajastx

bajastx New Member

Sorry it was not my intention to come off that way I just didn’t want SONF to think the 90Two was going to be the same weight as a polymer gun. It actually weighs a bit more than the PX4’s especially with 17 rounds in it.

9. bajastx

bajastx New Member

Sorry it was not my intention to come off that way I just didn’t want SONF to think the 90Two was going to be the same weight as a polymer gun. It actually weighs a bit more than the PX4’s especially with 17 rounds in it.

I did find a holster that fits great and is a quality piece. Its a DeSaints holster.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Try this holster builder:

IWB Gun Holsters for Firearms, Covert Holsters for Guns, Pistols and IDPA Shooting

I think he can make you one for your 92

You will not find a better built holster than one from Andy. Truly an 'old school' English artisan!

I have one of his Covert 28's for my Colt 1911.

I'm surprised Sparks doesn’t offer their Versa Max II for your gun. :confused:

Milt Sparks Holsters

For an IWB holster it rates right up there. If you can wait 36-40 months for Tony to build you one! Yea, they’re that good.

11. 741512th

741512th New Member

MY apologies. You didn't come off in any negative way. I really was under the wrong impression about the pistol and there I was spouting off my opinion.

12. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

The 90-two is a polymer framed pistol. That is one of Beretta's little contributions to the polymer world. The magazines that comes with the M9/92-series Beretta's are just the traditional 15 round magazines they have been offering for years. If somebody at a gun store calls them "dust-resistant", it's just a gimmick to get you to buy. If the magazine has holes drilled in order to show your round count, it is not dust resistant by any means.

13. M1GarandMan

M1GarandMan New Member

I don't think they make an inside the pants holster for the 90-two due to its size, even if they did i doubt it would wear comfortably. However BLACKHAWK makes a paddle holster for the 90-two that ive heard good things about. And as far as the sights go they are interchangeable for beretta pistols.

14. HadEmAll

HadEmAll New Member

The 90two has an alloy frame, just like the M9/92FS.

For me, it's an improvement because of the steel recoil buffer installed in the frame, and the improved/larger sights.

15. bajastx

bajastx New Member

Well the 90Two that I have has an alloy frame. I have never personally seen a clip that comes with the M9A1 so I don't know if they have the round count holes, but is not the standard clip that comes with the 90Two. This is right from Beretta's site:

Item Number
    JM9A115

This is the same magazine found on the M9A1 adopted by the USMC! Low-friction follower, special PVD coating and internal box geometry reduce friction and improves reliability in a sand environment. Applicability: All Model 92s, except Type-M and old Model 92 and 92S using a single stack magazine. Magazine Capacity: 15 Finish: Special PVD – Dark Grey Notice: Due to state laws, this magazine cannot be shipped to the following states: California, Hawaii, New York or Massachusetts. Please do not add this magazine to your shopping cart if you are having your order shipped to one of the above states, since the magazine will be removed from your shopping cart during the check out process.

16. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I know I'm not going crazy...lol.

The only reason I say the 90-two frame is polymer is because I handled one at the local gun shop. I dismantled it and myself and one of the clerks did a comparison between the frame of the 90-two and the frame of a Glock and an HK. BTW, the 90-two frame was heavier.

Maybe I just dreamed it.......................:confused:

17. georod7

georod7 New Member

hi there.so did you 90 two owners find a holster for it?any photos?i'm from Greece and i can't find a holster for it so i've postponed buying it.as a policeman i need a holster for the job.

18. bajastx

bajastx New Member

19. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I can't help you much on the holster debate but what I can tell you is that I've shot both but I only ended up purchasing one of the two. The M9A1. I love it, and if two rounds is a big issue to you, then maybe the motto "one shot one kill" could be applied a little more.

Haha just kidding, but yeah I love mine, never had one problem with it, never jammed, the clip says it's sand resistant but I don't have any problem with sand in my mags regardless (but I'm stationed in Hawaii, what do I know? Lol). The sights are great as is, I wouldn't change them either.

20. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

If you like the .40, why not go with the model 96?