Beretta 70s .22 lr

Discussion in 'Beretta Forum' started by dada2d, Feb 15, 2014.

1. dada2d

dada2d New Member

Just picked up a 98% condition 70s
    Only 20 rounds fired thru it! Got it from the original owner. I traded a threaded barrel Browning Buckmark for it. This thing is sweet. I haven't seen many of them for sale, and was wondering what the going value is. Any info will be appreciated. I may keep it or try to sell or trade.
    Thanks ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1392498543.477512.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1392498567.399739.jpg

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The slide stop spring in this model is flimsy. It can lose tension over time. It is easily replaced IF you find one. You will have to shoot the pistol to see how it holds back the slide on empty.

The model you have is probably the Jaguar, and should be very close to the one Israel chose for counter-terrorist operations in the 60'-70's. That Beretta cycled reliably with specially designed light loads, working quietly without a suppressor. The "Mossad connection" has supported this model's value.

In the early 70's AFAIR a Palestinian terrorist group hijacked an airliner in Zurich, Switzerland. Four terrorists, armed with the AK's, were positioned outside on the ground. A lone Israeli air marshal, armed with the 22 Beretta, found his way to their position, killed one and wounded another, before the Swiss had arrived.

These Berettas are getting pretty rare. I would estimate it at $600 in excellent condition, but don't hold me to this number, look it up on gunbroker and other auction sites.

I find it hard to believe only 20 rounds have been fired, UNLESS you know the seller and definitely take his word for it.

3. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

Sweet gun!!
    I have been keeping an eye out for one at a good price but seldom see them at any price

4. dada2d

dada2d New Member

Would you be interested in it?

Liberals amuse me.

5. dada2d

dada2d New Member

Indeed only 20 rounds thru it! I know the guy. You can look at it and tell it has seen little use. The magazine has zero wear on the outside. Internals show very very minimal use. I would be interested in trading or selling.
    Near mint condition Beretta model 70 s .22 LR.
    I'd take 550.00 obro . Trades 1911 pistols, or AR platforms. Send offers of anything except no name stuff.
    These are very rare especially in this condition. Was from an estate. I got it from the family member. It was unfired, and he actually fired 20 rds thru it. The original box has been misplaced, but not lost. He told me that he took it out of the box fired it cleaned it and put it in his safe. The box was in his closet. It may turn up , but may not. It has one factory original mag. Have to see to appreciate how clean this rare little pistol is. Please let me know if you are interested in it.
    Thanks

Liberals amuse me.

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

How far from IN are you?

7. bbertram

bbertram New Member

Since the Pistol doesn't have a Jaguar grip, I'm guessing that this is the European model. Jaguar was the name for the ones sent to the US. I'd say yours would fetch $450 on up on Gunbroker, perhaps more . I've bought several in the last 6 months in condition varying from VG to Exc, and $411 was the most that I paid. In the pics, note the left grip that says Jaguar on the bottom pistol, while the silver pistol has plain black grips, no logo.

Attached Files:

8. bbertram

bbertram New Member

There is a date code on the trigger guard, something like XIX or XVII, possibly. Code XX (1964) or earlier qualifies it as a C&R pistol, and you may get added value from THAT fact. With the safety on yours, I suspect it's from the early 70's at least, perhaps even a 1980's build. Earlier pistols had the pushbutton safety . One thing about value of this pistol, it's a very reputable pistol, and they don't make them anymore. Value will do nothing but go up.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  9. bbertram

bbertram New Member

Parts are definitely something of an issue. In the US, Numrich has some,
    http://www.gun-parts.com/beretta/ , has many, and sometimes they are available from Brignoliarmi , in Italy. One advantage of having several pistols is always having one that works. That said, mine have been reliable and needed no parts, except magazines.

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

That kind of safety was on mine. I regret trading it for a Hammerli. Excellent, knowledgeable reference!

11. dada2d

dada2d New Member

Thanks so much for the input!

Liberals amuse me.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had the 22 with the longer barrel and a 380. Good little gun. I carried the 380 for a long time.

13. bbertram

bbertram New Member

I recently sold a 70S .380 , and I hope the buyer appreciates it. :) I think the Beretta 70 series pistols are the sexiest looking pistols ever made ! <3

14. dada2d

dada2d New Member

Agreed!

Liberals amuse me.

15. lexington

lexington New Member

Beretta Model 70

Mine is the "New Puma", .32 acp. I acquired it in 1967. Has the push through button safety, 1 original 8-rnd mag. original box and bore cleaning brush. Aftermarket replacement mags. (that fit) are impossible to find at any price.

This feeds perfectly on any ammo.

Here she is.

Attached Files:

16. steve8261948

steve8261948 New Member

These have recently been imported into the U.S. (/22, short barrel)with a faux suppressor attached to be approved, I've heard the faux suppressor is easily removed by a gunsmith? I've heard they come from Israel? I bought one of the first to come in, I've hunted for one ever since I sold one in the 1960s. Check with SOG, Sarco or Zander's for them.
    To the poster saying there's a problem with the slide hold open spring, that's the magazine spring, is it not? Also, I bought a spare magazine off the internet(Bob's gun parts), recently.
    Steve

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  17. bbertram

bbertram New Member

As to spare magazines, if you can find mags for Bersa 644, they also work in my M71's . I have several of those mags in service.

18. toadman

toadman New Member

Beretta mod. 70s

I am new to the site and was going through the beretta forum and was glad to see your post. I have a mod. 70s cal .380 I bought new in 1977. I know you have not had your 70s for a long time but maybe you have learned enough to help me or perhaps you could put me in touch with the original owner. I shot up a box of ammo the other day and when I got home sat down to clean up. I pushed on the latch release button, but it would not move(not any). so I used the strength of both my thumbs, still no movement. I messed with that thing until I actually cut my thumb on the surrounding metal recess. in my clean up box I had steel dowel small ball peen hammer.i I tapped a couple times, with no authority fearing damage, still nothing. I turned the gun over to the right side. I pushed the slide to the rear until the recess on the bottom was over the disassembly latch and I turned it in the counterclockwise direction. I could feel the pressure from the spring (no good) so I let it return to its normal position.i have to free up the release button. help of any kind would be great.
    d'ont get all skint up toadman

19. townsniper1

townsniper1 New Member

Hello dears
    I have just bought beretta 70 .22lr but the spring of the slide catch is not working that well , i think its not the original one so i hope if someone could show me a photo for the original spring so i can simulate one
    Also i wan ask about my front sight which looks kinda wearied !!! Its stuck to the slide not to the barrel and a crack is presented just near to it
    Although the pistol is pretty accurate ?

My baby
    [​IMG]

here the spring that seems not original !!
    [​IMG]

the wearied crack !!
    [​IMG]

the front sight which looks strange like been fused !!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

This Beretta's front sight is integral to the slide. The slide stop spring is a flimsy design. It failed in my 71 also.

A beat-up old 22 pistol is almost never a good buy. The Israelis decommissioned this model long time ago.