Beowulf .50 Build

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by s9601694, Aug 28, 2012.

1. s9601694

s9601694 New Member

I decided to start my first AR build!!

I am planning a Zombie Destroyer in .50 Beowulf. I have had the Spikes Tactical stripped lower with the Punisher logo for a whole. I also ordered the Spikes Enhanced Lower Kit and are awaiting the arrival of that.

The gun is going to be all black with dark earth accents. Today I started by painting the graphics on the lower

[​IMG]

I am using Testors paint and am not careful with staying in the lines.

This is the result after i wiped the excess away with thinner. After this i put another couple of coats on, it looks good!

[​IMG]

This is going to be a loooong process because I plan on using only top of the line (Made in America) stuff and it's going to be expensive!!

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF. Cool build. Keep it coming.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The 50 Beowulf is a great big bore caliber.I debated a long time about it before I put my 458 SOCOM together.
    There are several guy's here that have the 458 SOCOM. I chose the 458 SOCOM over the 50 Beowulf,and the 450 Bushmaster because it uses a .458 caliber rifle bullets,where the others use bullets designed for pistols,and there isn't near the selection of bullets to choose from with the pistol calibers.

If you plan on doing any amount of shooting with these big bore calibers,you better know or learn how to load your own ammo.The cost of factory ammo is very expensive,and even reloading these calibers isn't cheap.
    Depending on the bullets I choose to load,it still cost between $1.35-2.00 a shell,using virgin brass.Buying factory ammo,your looking at around $3.00 a shell,depending on the ammo you choose.

All of these caliber's shoot good,and have a good 200 yard range,after that they drop really fast.

[​IMG]

4. s9601694

s9601694 New Member

Yeah the reason why I chose for the Beowulf is because it is used by the military. It's just got that "cool" factor!
    I do intend on getting into reloading but even then I don't expect to send 500 rounds down range on a given day!

I'm going to love this gun, I already do!

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Used by the military? I know the coast tested it at one point, but I never heard of any branch adopting it.

Anyone have links?

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I know that the round was developed by military minds and i think a company has a factory on an Army base that manufactures AR's in 50 beowulf, but as to the military actually using them in combat i dont think so.

P.s. nice paint job, post more pics as the build comes together.

7. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Ive wanted one ever since i saw a show on the military channel on the beowolf 50 it seems to be awsome

8. s9601694

s9601694 New Member

9. s9601694

s9601694 New Member

OK finally found the time to put my Palmetto State Armory lower kit together last saturday! (while the brisket was smoking on the BGE!!)

[​IMG]

I ordered everything in ODG but found out that PSA sent me a grip in dark earth! I emailed them but no response yet...

[​IMG]

Yesterday i received my buffer/buffer spring and stock as well as the 2 pmags!

[​IMG]

Looking good i think (apart from the grip grrr)!

[​IMG]

10. s9601694

s9601694 New Member

The buffer and buffer spring i have are both "standard" m4/ar-15 ..

What are your thoughts on upgrading these to a heavier spring and say a Spike's St-t2 buffer?

thanks

11. petesrt4

petesrt4 New Member

Looks very cool and a great build so far keep us posted and pics are always a plus!

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I love the "vice block" ... LOL, j/k :D

the build looks nice, keep us posted. As for the buffer an spring, I upgraded them in my AR458 ... I would think you would need to as well.

13. s9601694

s9601694 New Member

LOL yeah my wife likes it when I'm around and so i take my hobbies into the living room!

14. zombiehunter

zombiehunter New Member

Looking great man!

Hobby time is my time. I've got 4 kids. I needs me some alone time.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

i run my socom with the standard buffers. i dont load to the max it is capable of however. although i might build a dedicated lower for it so i dont ruin the innards of one of my better guns. a heavier buffer and spring cant really hurt on these big bore guns

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I installed the heavier buffer spring in my 458 when I assembled it.Shooting any of the lighter weight bullets-Under 500gr,the gun wouldn't cycle correctly.I installed the standard spring back in the buffer,and the gun cycles great.
    I'd go ahead and get a heavy spring,but try shooting it with the standard spring.If it cycles fine with it,then you probably won't need to use a heavy spring.

17. s9601694

s9601694 New Member

I can't believe its almost been a year when i started this project. I ordered a Beowulf complete upper from AA about the same time I posted the first post in this thread. I had kind of forgotten about it and out of nowhere i got an email from UPS that there was a 6lbs package on its way from Alexander Arms!! It arrived yesterday and there it was!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Great top of the line workmanship

[​IMG]

I chose for the most basic upper so that I can customize it myself. I am going to change out the handguard with either a MagPul MOE or a DD Omega type shield. Probl magpul for now (10% of the price of the DD) and put a front iron sight on it (I already have a DD fixed sight on order). I want to feel the raw power of the Beowulf, so no compensator. Maybe I'll add an aftermarket compensator on it later.

[​IMG]
    that's just plain cool

[​IMG]

I've got two OD Green Magpul magazines dedicated to the Beowulf. I just need to file them down still.

I like how this turned out! I'll update as I upgrade!

18. s9601694

s9601694 New Member

Looking at the pictures, i just realized that Beowulf doesn't have the back sight on it yet.. I had a DD iron sight laying around from my Daniel Defense (switched it out with an EOTECH).

[​IMG]
    I really like Daniel Defense stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Good to see another 50 Beowulf guy on here!!

I found the ammo isnt all that expensive as many made it out to be. New from AA for 1.49/rd.

yes thats 3 times what a 5.56 costs but it is also 3 times the round and I will never shoot it at a comparable volume

20. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

This has me wanting one now. I would have expected their uppers to cost more, but $690 ain't bad. Awesome rifle, hope you have fun with it.