bent barrel

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by lilrichthedragon, Jun 3, 2012.

1. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

is there anyway to straighten a barrel or is it screwed

2. Jim1611

Jim1611 New Member

I'm guessing a rifle barrel. Yes you can, it was a standard practice with some barrel makers for some time. They used a large hand wheel type press and used their eye to check for straightness.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Pretty much screwed.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends- how badly bent. My smith uses a hydraulic arbor press with a couple of big blocks of oak.

6. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Take it to a professional man, seriously don't do this. If that pro says, it's toast then buy another.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Good advice right up there ^^^

8. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

not really

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Obviously we can not answer that question without more info. Anything can be fixed. If it is something that can not be done by the owner you have to think about cost. With pretty much no information my guess was that fixing the barrel would not be cost effective.

10. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Pictures would probably help someone on here who's a gun smith but we are talking about explosives, it's not better to be safe than sorry, it's better to be safe than dead or mutilated.

11. oli700

oli700 New Member

This is the way I used to do them. There is an insert that goes in the muzzle end of the barrel that lets you see the bend looking down the bore.

12. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Most barrels can be straightened or adjusted with a proper barrel press. I built my own press many, many moons ago for my shop. I used to do a google of shotgun barrel work as well as straighten the occasional rifle barrel. When building a custom rifle, the barrel that you are chambering, at times, is not true and needs to be straightened. My barrel press is fully adjustable for just about any situation. NOTE: If your barrel has been bent badly from abuse or accident, there is no hope.....

Jim..

13. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

How does one get a bent barrel? When I was in the kill-zone, we shot them m16s and m60s so hot that the barrels drooped.

14. lilrichthedragon

there was a 22 casing in the chamber when I took it apart. also there was a bulge in the back of the case so I think that had something to do with it

15. lilrichthedragon

sorry my phone takes ****ty pictures

Attached Files: