Benelli Vs. Stoeger

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by tw1012, Feb 5, 2011.

1. tw1012

tw1012 New Member

I was told that these guns are very similar, what is the difference?

I am looking at the SBE2 and the Stoeger model 2000

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have a Stoeger m2000. I've never held a Benneli.
    I can tell you my experience with the Stoeger, though.

Unless things have changed, it is only made with a 5 shot capacity. The only place I could find a magazine extension was a guy in TX who machines them from aircraft aluminum, around $80, mine works flawlessly and an easy install if you have a dremel type tool or small files.
    The Stoeger inertia action is supposed to be the same as the Benelli. It needs to have a stout shell to make the action rack properly. I don't have mine nearly broken in yet and sometimes it will not cyle with game load shells.
    I had some cheap shells I was using when I took it to a defensive shotgun class and that was not the place to learn. It did cycle Winchester bulk pack 12 gauge shells, though.
    It shoots reduced recoil Winchester slugs and buckshot without a problem and dead on the aim point using the bead sight. When patterning the gun I put the second 1 oz. slug into the hole made from my first shot, it made the instructor do a double take to make sure I didn't miss the target at 40 yards.

The bolt release button on the side of the receiver is not as easy to operate as I would like, taking more force than I can generate repeatedly while holding the shotgun in firing position. Hopefully this will get better with use, it has only had a few hundred rounds through it.
    I'm happy with mine, ymmv.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

One is a top of the line Italian shotgun, the other is a basic gun built in Turkey. Kind of like what's the difference between a Kia and a Porsche as they're both cars...

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I own a SBE II and it will handle up to 3.5 inch shells. I think the Stoeger's max. is 3 inch, but I could be wrong. If its in your budget, you will definitely enjoy the SBE II. I don't plan to ever shoot 3.5 turkey loads in a pump again. With the SBE II a 3.5 turkey load feels like a 2.75 magnum load in my old 870 pump.

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

They both emply the Benelli style inertia action. They are both owned by Beretta. They both need two piece stocks and/or recoil attenuating devices to make either anywhere near as pleasant to shoot as any good gas operated semi auto.

6. tw1012

tw1012 New Member

Gas driven?

Who makes gas driven?

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Pretty much every one else. Actually, most autoloading shotguns are gas driven...