Benelli v. Remington v. Tristar

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by neo, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo

neo New Member

So we've been looking around for a 12ga, and narrowed it down to a Benelli Nova, Remington 870 (Express or the new Nitro), or a Tristar cobra tactical.
    I've shouldered all three, and I must say I liked the Benelli the best. Although I trust Benelli, I've been told that the 870 is really reliable and recommended. I haven't heard anything about the tristar, and I'm unfamiliar with the brand. Is it any good? Thanks in advance.

2. photopro

photopro New Member

Semi auto

I have a Benelli M2 in camo finish and it is superb. I did find out it doesn't like slow burn shells, it would refuse to cycle one or two. Since finding that out it has been faultless. The one advantage Benelli has over most other semi autos is that it doesn't use shot gases to cycle the mechanism, it uses inertia so it's very clean and the gun internals stay that way. A gas recycling gun will need a periodic decoke depending on the numbers of shells you use.

photopro

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009

3. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

The semi-auto Benelli sounds wonderful but as an 870 owner I can say that it truly is an amazing shotgun, they last forever and you never have to worry about it not cycling rounds. A very well made gun with plenty of goodies and if you don't want goodies it's wonderful the way it is!

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

there are 2 pump shotguns that all others are judged by. The Remington 870 and the winchester model 12.

In my eyes all other pump shotguns are just trying to be one of them two if not both.

Don't get me wrong the Nova and teh mossy 500 are great shot guns.

You may want to look at the stoeger model 2000 it cost around $400 and is really a Benelli in different cloths.

5. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

6. HunterRob

HunterRob New Member

I am a big 870 fan, i have shot them for years, and since remington bought H&R they started making the H&R Pardner shotgun and it is an 870 at half the price. it fells jus like the ole 870 and it has 870 guts in it, it is a great shotgun that has a great price on it.

7. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Benelli. End of thread. Owned two. Love 'em both. Plan on buying my son a Supernova 20 ga. next year.

8. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Pardner Protector for the win!

9. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Benellis are great shotguns with a great price.
    I suggest the Remington 870, great shotgun for the money.
    870 best bang for the buck. ;)
    Remington's 1100 is a great classic semiauto.

10. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

you can never go wrong with a remington.

11. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I'm guessing you guys have never fired a Benelli... If you had, you would throw the remington in the trash.

12. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

dont need to fire one, im more than satisfied with the remingtons that ive shot, so I decided to get one for myself.

13. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Well, when you get tired of mediocrity... A Benelli will be waiting.

14. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

suprdave, you assume too much.
    A good friend of mine has a Benelli 12ga. shotgun that I have fired many times when him & I are at; the range shooting clays, competition shoots, turkey hunting, etc. Very nice shotgun indeed, but Benellis come with that great big price tag also. My point is for the money Remington offers the best bang for the buck.

Although my friend's Benelli is a great shotgun, I won't be throwing my 870 in the trash. The 870 set the standard for pump action shotguns, as the 1100 set the standard for semi-autos. My Remingtons can do anything his Benellis can do.

15. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

So you're saying that Remington's have unimpressive quality? :rolleyes:
    Then why is the 870 the most sold shotgun...ever?

16. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

no thanks.

17. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Can a Remington kill a duck? Sure. Does it cost less? Definitely. That's why it's so popular. Don't get all bent out of shape because you're a Remington Fan-Boy. Benelli wins more competitions and is chosen by more serious hunters than any other brand. Sorry. :cool:

18. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

according to field and stream which is a very respectable magazine thats been around for what 110 years now. give or take, what is the #1 shotgun of all time.....the 870.

19. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

im looking at the models on benellis website now and these prices are insane. starting at $1,379 $1,549 $1,229 $1,869, so tell me why I would pay $1,379 for a gun when I can get a Remington that can do the exact same thing as any benelli can do, for a mere $309.

20. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

ah, you need to calm down, I'm not the one gettin' bent out of shape here, pal...price isn't the only reason.
    If Remington was trash they would have fallen to the way side many years ago. I agree, Benelli has two of the best hired shooters money can buy to promote their product. If it wasn't for World Record Holder Tom Knapp & Tim Bradley the story would be different. Also lets compare apples to apples & oranges to oranges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.