Bending Jig for AK-47 Receiver Flat

Discussion in 'Kansas Gun Forum' started by Invalid_Username, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Invalid_Username

Invalid_Username New Member

I've got a receiver flat for a romanian AK and was looking for somebody in Central Kansas that has a bending jig for 1mm flats that I could "rent" for a 6-pack or something. I also have a buddy who has a couple of flats of the same type. We really would like to not have to buy a $200 jig if somebody around has one we can pay to use. Anybody?

2. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

What gauge is the metal? I just seen a article in shotgun news about this and I examined a AK receiver. If you know of a sheet metal shop around you, they could prolly bend it on a regular brake or press brake. Because its prolly no thicker then 20 gauge.

3. Invalid_Username

Invalid_Username New Member

It is a regular 1mm thickness and I would have a local shop do it if I had any confidence in the bends being in the correct spot when it's finished. The bending jigs are about as near to perfect as can be and if I can't find someone with a jig, I'll probably build one similar to the one in Shotgun News. I saw that article as well and I know it is within my capabilities to build, but buying a press or getting access to one is the tricky part. FYI, I think 1mm thickness is pretty close to 19 ga. sheet metal and I have access to a sheet metal brake, but I'm afraid the reliefs that are formed into the flat would be damaged by the brake when you clamp down on them.